Single key family bike lock system

QuickDave
QuickDave Posts: 30
edited September 2019 in Family & kids cycling forum
hi all

i wasn't whether to post this but does anyone have experience of keyed alike locks for families ?

we are a family with three young children having six bikes altogether (including the tandem). we live in a popular cycling area albeit with some level of bike theft.

currently, we have two old (keyed different) abus d locks and various combination / cable locks. if we're cycling into town then we lock all our bikes together using the d locks. the kids school is gated so they just use cable locks.

the difficulty is using a whole different bunch of keys for so many locks. if you have a family you'll know it's hard enough to get everyone out of the house anyway ! so we're interested in a keyed alike solution.

having done a little reading, it seems what we're looking for is about 5 locks :

a can be keyed alike
b reliability
c security (sold secure silver or above say)
d weight approx 1kg (could be more for adults)
e decent shackle length (8" min say)
f comes with decent frame mount
g personalised colours (nice to have)
h budget £250 say for six locks (could be more or less)

we would prefer d / u locks rather than chain locks. i know some people rekey chains and padlocks. it seems a bit heavy for kids and less portable, but again interested in any experience. not sure if combination u locks are good either.

does anyone have any experience of doing this please ? i am particularly looking for practical experience and budget of what other families do.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Any good locksmith can make any number of locks keyed alike. It's easy if you know how..I don't, but I've had it done.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I believe you can get Kryptonite to sell you a number of D-locks wiht identical keys; i've never done it, but i seem to recall in the paperwork that came with my last one the mention that it "could" be done...

But it's late, my memory and all that...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • The other issue is paying RRP for keyed alike. Not sure sale items are possible keyed alike.

Interested in the Abus Bordo 6000. Will see what Abus say...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Abus say that they do it, and it looks like 1 key for different types of lock too: https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security ... s/YourPlus I'm not sure how you go about ordering them.
  • Thanks, good spot.

Not sure if it’s possible to add locks later with the same key. So buy three now say and add three later, all with the same key. The link implies yes ? I imagine the product could be discontinued through.

I’ve emailed Abus and will update when they reply.
  • You can get a similar kind of locks and it's simple if you know how to do it.
  • Abscissa wrote:
    You can get a similar kind of locks and it's simple if you know how to do it.

Helpful
  • thistle_
    QuickDave wrote:
    Thanks, good spot.

Not sure if it’s possible to add locks later with the same key. So buy three now say and add three later, all with the same key. The link implies yes ? I imagine the product could be discontinued through.

I’ve emailed Abus and will update when they reply.
    I would have thought it's possible - with Kryptonite each key has a code so I guess if you have the "code" for the lock you can order another one. It might work out more expensive because I imagine there's a bit of a discount if you order more in one go.
    Discontinuing the service could be a problem - it only seems to be available on one particular type of lock mechanism so if they find a fault with that type of lock then I expect they would stop making that type of mechanism and new keys might not be compatible (IIRC early Kryptonite locks could be opened with a pen lid so they discontinued those pretty quickly).

It would be interesting to hear what Abus say.
  • Good morning Dave

If you would like to purchase some keyed alike locks, this will have to be ordered through one of our retailers.

Please could you let us know your postcode and I can then recommend some retailers close to your location.

You will have two options with the Abus Bordo 6000. One being the 90cm variant and the other being the 120cm variant. The 90cm variant costs £98.99 per unit and the 120cm is then £109.99.

Let us know if you need anymore information.

Regards

Customer Service Team
  • It’s too expensive.

That’s £500 for five locks !
  • thistle_
    QuickDave wrote:
    It’s too expensive.

That’s £500 for five locks !
    Sounds like they've quoted full RRP (wiggle say £95 for the 90cm) - but minimal extra cost for the keying alike.

I suppose you need to ask a retailer whether they would order the locks but just charge their regular (discounted) price. You're still buying £250-£300 of locks so they may be amenable.

FWIW I've asked kryptonite just for interest, if they reply I'll post on here.
  • . I suppose you need to ask a retailer whether they would order the locks but just charge their regular (discounted) price.

Good idea, will try this.
  • Chainreactioncycles can’t do it. I emailed them and they can’t do keyed alike.
  • Wiggle can’t either. Will try LBS.
  • thistle_
    I had a reply from Kryptonite saying they cannot supply new locks to match an existing key, but didn't say whether they can supply a set of new locks keyed alike.
  • Hi @QuickDave - apologies to resurect an old thread, but I have the very same conundrum. Spoke to a few bike shops. no-one seems particularly interested or able to supply keyed alike locks. Did you find a solution in the end?
  • elon7
    elon7 Posts: 1
    edited October 2020
    If you have a bunch of people in your family riding bikes, as we do, you have probably had a time or two where somebody's bike key has gone missing and you've been stuck, unable to unlock a bike you wanted to use or to lock a bike when you're out (usually with a kid needing the bathroom). This can be even more complicated with lots of bikes in a family who rides together. If that hasn't happened to you yet, you are better organized than we are. We found out how to minimize the problem, though! jiofi loginforpc
  • Thanks for sharing this information. apps for pc , playstoreinfo