Elemnt ROAM routing

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited September 2019 in Road general
Anyone with issues regarding the new ROAM rerouting?

Mine simply gives me the weirdest route options.

I’ve set it up as ROAD bike under settings but trying it on some courses that I know very well it simply leads me to unfriendly roads for a road bike and routes my ride through longer and unpaved roads than shorter and paved ones.

On top of that, it always want to reroute me to its original intended route, to the point where I’m about 500 meters from my destination and it keeps me rerouting back and away from my destination trying to put me on “its own course”

Are you facing similar issues?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Don't use it, but I think Shane Miller commented that rerouting on the Wahoo and Garmin devices send you on the least desirable roads.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Most bike GPS are rubbish if you try to use them like a car sat nav.

Make your own routes in Ride with GPS, Strava or similar. Strava heatmap is good for seeing what routes cyclists use a lot but do check on streetview if in doubt as you may be looking at mountain bike routes.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Are the unpaved roads marked as unpaved on OSM? If not then that won't help with your issues as the device won't know they are unsuitable for road riding.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    The only time I tried to use it was when I bailed on a 2 day ride during a storm in North Yorkshire, I used it to divert to East Yorkshire. I found it utterly dreadful. There is nothing more demoralising than hundreds of km into a ride finding that you've climbed a giant hill for it to turn into a bridleway across a moor. Useless
  • Not the ROAM, but the on-device routing on the BOLT is also dreadful. Much better to route on Komoot or RWGPS on your phone.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Not the ROAM, but the on-device routing on the BOLT is also dreadful. Much better to route on Komoot or RWGPS on your phone.

In the Wahoo app?

I've tried it a few times when I've known where I'm going anyway and it appears to prefer muddy footpaths and cliffs.
  • frisbee wrote:
    Not the ROAM, but the on-device routing on the BOLT is also dreadful. Much better to route on Komoot or RWGPS on your phone.

In the Wahoo app?

No, I think he means you the Komoot app on your phone to create a new route, then use the Wahoo app to sync the newly created Komoot route to the head unit.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    There is no on device routing on the Bolt. You need to use a phone app to generate routes for the Bolt.
  • Sorry, wongataa is correct, the routing is done in the phone app and uploaded to the Bolt. I only tried it once and never used it again because it was so hopeless and had forgotten that step.
  • naavt
    edited August 2019
    So as I thought I'm not alone on this one... Unfortunately :(

The issue here is not on the side of designing a route prior a ride (Strava or RWGPS as many of you suggest), but rather have a safety net when things don't occur as planned.

Last weekend I've made to the top of a hill alone in a group ride since everyone climbed it on its own pace. I've lost myself from the rest of the group in a intersection and some phonecalls after we all agreed to meet in a point some kms ahead.

It was a nightmare for my ROAM to route me there, to the point where I've just decided to stop every km and look at Google Maps instead!
    frisbee wrote:

In the Wahoo app?

No, I think he means you the Komoot app on your phone to create a new route, then use the Wahoo app to sync the newly created Komoot route to the head unit.

Now, this is a great option but how do you sync the Kommot ride with an Elemnt without a WiFI connection? I was under the impression that it can't be made. Am I wrong?
  • naavt
    frisbee wrote:

In the Wahoo app?

Answering my own question I've looked into the Komoot option and it works without WiFi :)

That's great since Kommot maps are way better and we can pinpoint waypoints through the route.

Thanks for that insight! Kudos ;)
  • StillGoing
    I'd make sure that you set any routes you do create on Ride with GPS etc to driving rather than cycling or walking and see if that has any bearing on the route me home option.
  • naavt
    philthy3 wrote:
    I'd make sure that you set any routes you do create on Ride with GPS etc to driving rather than cycling or walking and see if that has any bearing on the route me home option.

Thanks. I'll try that but I suppose it's not going to work? Since the "route me home" or "route me to" options use the "on board" Wahoo Elemnt maps and I'm assuming they are the principal culprit of this issue?
  • StillGoing
    naavt wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Thanks. I'll try that but I suppose it's not going to work? Since the "route me home" or "route me to" options use the "on board" Wahoo Elemnt maps and I'm assuming they are the principal culprit of this issue?

I'm sure it is, but worth a try. Although the danger is, if it does have an effect, it will try and get you to join busy A roads or even the motorway if near one. :D
  • The Komoot phone app has options for all sorts of activity including Bike Touring, Mountain Biking, Road cycling, Gravel Riding and Mountain Biking (Alpine) so I'd have thought it would choose an appropriate 'path' based on the type of route you want to follow.

Then provided you have a data signal you save that route on Kommots server, open the Wahoo app and choose Workout>View Routes and once the Wahoo app syncs with Komoots server it will show up in the list of routes to Bluetooth to the head unit.

It needs someone who has had the Wahoo create a bad route to try and see if Kommot or RWGPS can create a better route in the same area.

I suspect it will but so far, where I live, the Wahoo creates a useable route anyway so I can't test it myself.
  • I've just done as you have suggested, testing with my 10 mile route home from work which I used to test the Elemnt app originally. The Elemnt app took me onto the canal towpath which is not suitable for road bikes for the greater part. I routed it using the RWGPS app which took me very close to the route I actually use, and exactly the route I used to use before I adjusted it to avoid a large roundabout. I also routed it using the Komoot app which gave a longer route, and one that used some bad main roads and roundabouts.
  • naavt
    I've just done as you have suggested, testing with my 10 mile route home from work which I used to test the Elemnt app originally. The Elemnt app took me onto the canal towpath which is not suitable for road bikes for the greater part. I routed it using the RWGPS app which took me very close to the route I actually use, and exactly the route I used to use before I adjusted it to avoid a large roundabout. I also routed it using the Komoot app which gave a longer route, and one that used some bad main roads and roundabouts.

How did you get RWGPS to reroute your course without a WiFi connection?

I can only sync RWGPS routes to my Elemnt when I'm at home since it always ask me for a WiFi connection, and it can only connect with my Home WiFi credentials.

Can it be done over BT on the go?
  • StillGoing
    naavt wrote:
    I've just done as you have suggested, testing with my 10 mile route home from work which I used to test the Elemnt app originally. The Elemnt app took me onto the canal towpath which is not suitable for road bikes for the greater part. I routed it using the RWGPS app which took me very close to the route I actually use, and exactly the route I used to use before I adjusted it to avoid a large roundabout. I also routed it using the Komoot app which gave a longer route, and one that used some bad main roads and roundabouts.

I can only sync RWGPS routes to my Elemnt when I'm at home since it always ask me for a WiFi connection, and it can only connect with my Home WiFi credentials.

You could temporarily set your phone as a WiFi hotspot, open Ride with gps in a web page, plot the route and send it to your device.
  • naavt
    philthy3 wrote:
    naavt wrote:

You could temporarily set your phone as a WiFi hotspot, open Ride with gps in a web page, plot the route and send it to your device.

Going to try that next. Thanks!
  • I created the route using RWGPS mobile app. This is a new feature that I hadn't used before and it was very useable. I've just tried to save the route and found out that you can only do it if you pay for the premium features. In the past I have designed routes using the Web interface on my phone which was awkward to use but successful; I just created the route and synced the ELEMNT app with RWGPS, selected the route in the app and it was sent to the device via Bluetooth.

I am impressed with the new routing feature on the RWGPS app though, it might actually convince me to put my hand in my pocket. I've yet to test how well it deals with importing gpx files; Komoot does this very well but you have to pay for maps if you ride out of your local area, but at least it's a one-off payment instead of a subscription.
  • naavt
    Komoot does this very well but you have to pay for maps if you ride out of your local area, but at least it's a one-off payment instead of a subscription.

Hurry up because there are some rumors that say Komoot will be a subscription soon for everyone who did not bought the "one payment" maps.
  • StillGoing
    I created the route using RWGPS mobile app. This is a new feature that I hadn't used before and it was very useable. I've just tried to save the route and found out that you can only do it if you pay for the premium features. In the past I have designed routes using the Web interface on my phone which was awkward to use but successful; I just created the route and synced the ELEMNT app with RWGPS, selected the route in the app and it was sent to the device via Bluetooth.

I am impressed with the new routing feature on the RWGPS app though, it might actually convince me to put my hand in my pocket. I've yet to test how well it deals with importing gpx files; Komoot does this very well but you have to pay for maps if you ride out of your local area, but at least it's a one-off payment instead of a subscription.

So just temporarily set your mobile phone as a wifi hotspot, open the web version of Ridewithgps and download your route to the ROAM. Simple.