Entry level sportive, which one & why?

Archer888
Archer888 Posts: 6
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all road noob here!

About to buy my first road bike, can't afford the top end stuff as much as I drool over it lol. I have narrowed it down to the Cube Attain 2019 or the Orbea Avant H60 2019, can't decide which! I'd be grateful for any advice, Cheers :D

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I think either would be a good option - both are reputable brands. Can you sit on either of them? Getting the size right is of ultimate importance. Do you have a bike shop near you that you could visit? This price point is very much entry level (that's not meant to sound derogatory by any means) so most shops will have a few bikes around this budget, might be worth a look at them. If you're just getting into road cycling then it can be a good idea to establish a good relationship with a local bike shop for advice etc. There is a further option of buying second hand - you would probably get a better spec but it brings its own issues - no warranty, unknown history etc.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Hi Crescent,
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I can't sit on them, the only bike shops near me are Halfords & an LBS that only has Merida & Claude Butler in their road bike range. Both of which are overpriced for their spec when compared to the above offerings. The manufacturers websites recommend 53 for the Orbea & 58 for the Cube (I'm 5'10"/177cm & 84cm inseam). No I do appreciate that & take no offence. I have looked at a couple second hand but as you say the unknown history (ie. crashes/abuse) has put me off that route particularly with regards to carbon frames. If I went with the Cube I would have to order it in from here : https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/bikes/ro ... -2019-bike as the other sites don't have them in my size. So I'm leaning towards the Orbea for ordering conveniance but the Cube is very slighty lighter hmmm decisions decisions lol
  • dimmockg
    dimmockg Posts: 471
    If you're going for a cube, be worth checking this....

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/1593/prod ... white.aspx

They also have the model you linked for £519 as well
  • crescent
    Evans do a Specialized Allez for around the same budget, if you have a branch near you? My first bike was an Allez, so I have a soft spot for them - excellent first bike.

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV306365
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • dimmockg wrote:
    If you're going for a cube, be worth checking this....

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/1593/prod ... white.aspx

They also have the model you linked for £519 as well

This looks a good choice.
    My first road bike was 10 years ago now, so entry brakes may have changed, but I would have advised investing in upgraded bakes fairly soon after buying.
  • Thanks very much for the input people and for putting me onto pauls bikes, it's actually not that far from me (about an hour & a half drive) so going to go down & check it out! Muchas gracias!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Decathlon have a few models that might be suitable. This for example has Sora groupset (one up from Claris) and disc brakes (although mechanical rather than hydraulic - but you won't get hydro at this price level)

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc-500-disc ... 54411.html

If you are East Anglia based then the nearest would be Cambridge.
  • Thanks for the suggestion LakesLuddite, I'll check that link out.

SebDangerfeild Also thanks for the suggestion, why would you pick the Orbea over the Cube (although I do like the look of the Orbea more too)? Oh that Giant is nice but a little too rich for my blood, which is a shame considering it's rocking Tiagra.

Also I've read there isn't much difference between Claris, Sora & Tiagra is that true?
  • crescent
    Archer888 wrote:
    Also I've read there isn't much difference between Claris, Sora & Tiagra is that true?

I know from an older Sora groupset that I used to have that the cables were external (not routed under the bar tape) and it used a thumb lever on the hood instead of the trigger behind the brake lever to change gear. This may have changed in more recent versions but it all worked fine, just not as "tidy" looking. I think the main difference, though, is the number of gears - Claris, Sora and Tiagra are 8, 9 and 10 speed respectively. You will probably find that the top and bottom ratios are the same but there will be bigger gaps between gears.