2020 transfers

Comments

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    gsk82 wrote:
    Wiggins Le col are finishing at the end of the season

Has Pidcock already got a contract elsewhere?

Apparently this may be a thing

https://www.trinityracing.co.uk/
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Re. Sam Bennett
    It would appear all is not well between Sam Bennett and Bora. Hearing whispers of a case ongoing with Bora trying to force the Irishman to stay, despite no contract having been signed for next year. Bennett wants to leave but unable to sign elsewhere until it’s resolved.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    That would imply a letter of intent or existing contract extension clause.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    gsk82 wrote:

Wonder if this is the reason they are finishing??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/49476727
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    johnboy183 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Wonder if this is the reason they are finishing??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/49476727

How did they manage to squeeze the TUE / jiffy bag stuff into a story about him possibly training as a social worker?

As for the team finishing, I suspect there's a limit on how much anyone is prepared to spend on a team riding almost entirely in UK domestic races with pretty much zero publicity in return. Domestic professional racing seems to be going back down the pan, we had a situation where it looked like we were finally getting a decent crop of professional teams but the races for them to take part in are virtually non-existent now.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Becoming a social worker almost certainly won’t be the only reason the teams folding I guess. And perhaps there is a “legacy” to jiffygate that is stopping further sponsorship. But I for one hopes he qualifies and becomes an excellent social worker. But is he a loss to cycling?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I think a 5 year run for a team that was explicitly started as a way to prepare for the 2016 Olympics isn't a bad run. Shame it couldn't continue though.
    Last year XIX Entertainment gave up a 40% share, so effectively Wiggins became sole owner. That was probably a bit more commitment than he was able to give.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    La Gazzetta reporting that Mark Cavendish, Wout Poels, Eros Capecchi and Bernhard Eisel are headed to Bahrain-Merida for 2020.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Is it not the case that these Gulf based teams, UAE, Bahrain, are places where the over the hills go to pick up some significant wedge but don't do much race placement wise? A bit like moneyball kickballers going to China post their peak in the real competitions.

Aru. Nibali. Martin. Cavendish....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    orraloon wrote:
    Is it not the case that these Gulf based teams, UAE, Bahrain, are places where the over the hills go to pick up some significant wedge but don't do much race placement wise? A bit like moneyball kickballers going to China post their peak in the real competitions.

I'd say in this case it's Ellingworth bringing in some senior riders he's worked with before to help set the right tone. It's a bit like Sam Allardyce every time he got a new manager's job the first thing he did was sign Kevin Nolan.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    David De La Cruz to Cofidis, which is a bit random

Bahrain & Cofidis dividing the ex-Sky & Quick Step riders between them (DDLC, Viviani, Cavendish & Poels). Andy Fenn needs to keep his phone on.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    RichN95 wrote:
    David De La Cruz to Cofidis, which is a bit random

Bahrain & Cofidis dividing the ex-Sky & Quick Step riders between them (DDLC, Viviani, Cavendish & Poels). Andy Fenn needs to keep his phone on.

2nd tier Spanish sort-of climber sort-of GC types for Cofidis - Herrada x 2, Mate and now De La Cruz. Cofidis have a presence in Spain and are Vuelta sponsors (wild card purchasers) so guess it makes some sense to them.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    RichN95 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

I'd say in this case it's Ellingworth bringing in some senior riders he's worked with before to help set the right tone. It's a bit like Sam Allardyce every time he got a new manager's job the first thing he did was sign Kevin Nolan.

Would imagine / hope that's where the comparison ends, unless Ellingworth is going to celebrate victories by smashing a pint of wine down and taking a bung.
  • RichN95.
    Nathan Haas to Cofidis.
  • Bouhanni must be thinking shit I should have kept my mouth shut. Getting kicked out of a strengthening WT team. He'll be riding for CC ETUPES at this rate although he reckons plenty of DSs are ringing him. Never listen to your own opinion of yourself !
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Quintana (plus his brother, Winner Anacona and Diego Rosa) confirmed for Arkea-Samsic for next season.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Official Carapaz signs 3 year deal with Team Ineos.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Rolf Aldag leaves Dimension Data - not really unexpected.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    So is Valverde now undisputed team leader at Movistar? Nice to see youth being given a chance.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Enrique Mas is going there isn't he?

(As in, officially not, but everyone knows he is...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Pross wrote:
    So is Valverde now undisputed team leader at Movistar? Nice to see youth being given a chance.

No but he the current wc and is contracted until 2020 and he is riding high in the vuelta so he is a proven quantity until someone better/as good comes along and stays.
  • RichN95.
    Charlie Quarterman, the British u23 TT champ has joined Trek, first as a intern until the end of the season, then on a two year contract. I must confess I've not really heard of him before.
  • Magnus Backstedt's tweet showed real pride and excitement on his move to Trek so all good for me.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Ben Swift renews at Ineos for two years
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • r0bh
    And Eddie Dunbar re-ups at Ineos for another three years
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Ben Swift renews at Ineos for two years

He left to go to UAE but came back. Clearly he feels he works best in the Ineos regime
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Charlie Quarterman, the British u23 TT champ has joined Trek, first as a intern until the end of the season, then on a two year contract. I must confess I've not really heard of him before.

Hopefully there will be no half measures in his effort.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Carlos Barbero moves from Movistar to NTT (Dimension Data as was) for next season.
  • r0bh
    Jon Dibben to Lotto-Soudal
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    Jon Dibben to Lotto-Soudal
    Oh, good. He's too good to be riding out of the World Tour/Pro Conti level.

In other bigger rumours, Roglic to UAE is the talk of the Vuelta. Just a rumour for now.