Pump and trail repair kits for tubeless 700cx35mm hi

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited August 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
I mostly ride road but have the one do it all adventure/gravel bike.
Bike has Hunt wheels set up tubeless, currently with G Ones allroad 700x35 tyres, psi says 35-75.
I recently had an issue with rear flat, I only had a cheap Aldi pump which put some air back in but wouldn't hold and eventually wouldn't pump up at all, not sure if sealant lost and the bead broke a bit. Anyway I'm looking for a better pump capable of re seating the tyre if needed or would I be better off with co2 Chuck and canister as well?
I was looking at the EDC dual system and space for repair kit but pricy.
I was also looking at the lenzyn mini floor pump with gauge but would also need a co2 system.
What's the best mini pump for tubeless tires I guess volume over pressure? Ideally best dual pump and co2 system?
I'm also looking for tubeless repair kit and tools including
Worms and insertion tool?
Valve core remover (presta valves) so I can add sealant in on trail I'm currently using Orange sealant (previously Peaty.) I plan to carry a small bottle
Tyre boots worse case.
Spare valve just in case
Anyone know if such a kit exists? Most repair kits seem to have just worm and applicator, just thought be more compact and cheaper. The valve removal tools is like £10 9n its own.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    With small capacity tyres, you should get away with a track pump to seat tubeless tyres. I can 100% recommend a Joe Blow. But for larger volume tyres, I need something like an Airshot.

Once the tyres are up and seated, with the sealant evenly distributed and allowed to do its job, you can ride.

When on the trail, I carry a spare inner tube, patches for the tube in case it also gets a puncture, tyrewall patches in case the tyre gets a big cut. And of course tyre levers and a mini-pump. A mini pump MIGHT reseat a tubeless tyre if it has been on a while and you only have to seat one side, but I don't bank on it, which is why I take a inner tube with me. I have been tubeless for ten years and I have had to use an inner tube twice. On each occasion it was a tyre fault where the tyrewall had a 4" tear at the bead. As long as I carry all that stuff I stay lucky. I just know that as soon as I decide to go light I'll be walking home!

You will continue to get punctures, but with sealant you should see the end of flats. Apart that is from big tears in the tyre itself, but even a tubed tyre wouldn't help in those circumstances. I have accumulated over two dozen punctures in one tyre without a flat.

PS: Ignore those recommended tyre pressures written on the side wall, but not the higher one. You can go considerably lower and gain all sorts of benefits, more grip, increased comfort. Watch this:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tues ... -2011.html
  • From my experience with tubeless on 700 x 32 tyres, with particularly nasty punctures the sealant doesn’t do its thing until the pressure drops to about 40 psi. For a puncture bad enough to go flat, it usually helps to stop and rotate the wheel so the puncture is at the bottom of the tyre and allow the sealant to pool, (apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs here), if that fails and the tyre goes flat the tyre ideally shouldn’t unseat from the rim. It sounds like you could possibly do with an extra layer of tape on your rim so the tyre/rim interface is tighter and doesn’t unseat when flat.

I have a Topeak Master Blaster Race Rocket pump on every bike, so I can never forget it. It is a compact little pump which is more than good enough to inflate a flat tyre up to a decent pressure to ride home on.

Most punctures should seal up without much hassle, but a carrying a spare tube for those sticky situations where it may not seal is your only other option. Just make sure that there is no debris lodged in your tyre before fitting it, otherwise you’ll have a punctured tube too.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Thanks,

just to clarify they're 35mm G Ones on 700c wheels rather than 32mm. I am tempted to move to Pro Ones which only go up to 32mm when the 35s are worn out and need replacing.

I'm convinced air leaked from the side wall and the cheap Aldi mini pump I had and the Halfords mini pump I borrowed didn't have the volume to seat the tyre. The puncture happened on the way to cafe so we stopped and I pumped it up but it went soft again but continued to cafe. At the cafe I pumped it up with the borrowed pump and it felt hard. I checked on it before we set off and it seemed to be holding pressure but soon after riding it went again.

When I got home couple hours later IIRC I just stuck the compressor on it to try and find the hole, I can't remember if I heard any pinging but essentially it stayed up overnight (not ridden) When I took the tyre off to clean it and reinstalled with different sealant and used the compressed, it eventually re-seated (it seated once prior to taking tyre off with no sealant but I couldn't get it to seat again without sealant) and stays up, been on a few short rides since.

I've been looking at Lezyne high volume pumps (max 90psi tyre rated to 70psi anyway) opposed to high pressure (lower stroke volume?) 120psi. I'm wondering whether the higher volume one be better for my needs as I need a better decent pump anyway.

I've gone on ebay and ordering a cheap valve core remover tool along with 10 valve cores and 2 full new valves.
    I will also get tubeless repair kit with worms and tool and maybe c02 system and tyre boots.

I'm surprised that you carry tubes on tubeless systems as the reading I' did suggested this wasn't recommended and comes back to the point that I don't want have take the tyre off the rim at the road/trail side?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    AndyH01 wrote:

I'm surprised that you carry tubes on tubeless systems as the reading I' did suggested this wasn't recommended and comes back to the point that I don't want have take the tyre off the rim at the road/trail side?

Nobody wants to take their tyre off the rim at the roadside. But equally, nobody wants to push home for want of a spare inner tube either!

In ten years of riding tubeless I have had to use an inner tube two times. Each was down to a tyre defect, not a trail inflicted tear or a massive puncture. Also in each case, I had to unseat only one side of the tyre to enable me to remove the tubeless valve and insert the spare inner tube. I then mostly seated the tyre before inflating with my mini -pump.

If I hadn't had a spare inner tube and the means to do the fix (tyre levers, pliers, mini-pump) then I would have had a choice: push home, or ride home and risk damaging my rims and/or the tyre. Actually both tyres were beyond repair but I didn't know that for sure at the time.

The stuff I carry is only what I would carry if I rode with tubes. Except I'd have to carry two tubes and get used to having to use them frequently. Another option is to use tubes with sealant already inside them (Slime tubes). But they are heavy and you don't stop you from getting a torn tyre.
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    AndyH01 wrote:

Nobody wants to take their tyre off the rim at the roadside. But equally, nobody wants to push home for want of a spare inner tube either!

In ten years of riding tubeless I have had to use an inner tube two times. Each was down to a tyre defect, not a trail inflicted tear or a massive puncture. Also in each case, I had to unseat only one side of the tyre to enable me to remove the tubeless valve and insert the spare inner tube. I then mostly seated the tyre before inflating with my mini -pump.

If I hadn't had a spare inner tube and the means to do the fix (tyre levers, pliers, mini-pump) then I would have had a choice: push home, or ride home and risk damaging my rims and/or the tyre. Actually both tyres were beyond repair but I didn't know that for sure at the time.

The stuff I carry is only what I would carry if I rode with tubes. Except I'd have to carry two tubes and get used to having to use them frequently. Another option is to use tubes with sealant already inside them (Slime tubes). But they are heavy and you don't stop you from getting a torn tyre.

All Steve says makes sense, I too carry tubeless repair kit and spare tube and the first time I got a trackside puncture it was a glass cut and needed a tube!! since then I have had many thorns but no flat's. Just leave them in until a new tire is needed. I do carry a cut down cheap track pump strapped to the bars but would better off with a Co2 kit :D