La Vuelta, Stage 4: Cullera > El Puig 27/08/2019 - 175,5 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited August 2019 in Pro race
La Vuelta, Stage 4: Cullera > El Puig 27/08/2019 - 175,5 km

The 4th stage of the Vuelta a España starts in Cullera to finish in El Puig. At 175.5 kilometres, it is one of the flattest routes of the Spanish grand tour in 2019, so a bunch sprint is the most likely outcome.

0afe9

The 4th stage of the Vuelta a España is almost a carbon copy of the usual last stage of the Tour of Valencia. Cullera is a popular seaside resort south of Valencia. The riders mostly travel on rolling roads. Just one doable climb inside the last 35 kilometers before the rest of the route is as flat as can be. Last February, Dylan Groenewegen stormed to victory in Valencia. The Dutchman is not racing the Spanish, but his fellow fast men are likely to come to the fore.

768a9

The Puerto del Oronet is an exception. The climb to the top is 5.8 kilometres and the average gradient sits at 4.5%.

vuelta-a-espana-2019-stage-4-climb-def72d51b6.jpg

The Oronet is crested at kilometre 129.5 and after the descent the route is flat for the last 20 kilometres.
The route forms a circumferential loop around Valencia. The finish is in El Puig, 15 kilometres north of the third largest city in Spain.

34d12

The race starts at 13.19 and is expected to finish around 17.35 – both are local times.

Sam Bennett is the sprinter to watch. Recently, he won the first three stages on the BinckBank Tour. If it comes to sprint finishes, Gaviria will likely be the Irish champion’s most difficult rival.

Favourites 4th stage 2019 Vuelta a España

*** Fernando Gaviria, Sam Bennett
** Fabio Jakobsen, Luka Mezgec, Marc Sarreau
* John Degenkolb, Phil Bauhaus, Max Walscheid

Cullera
1 stage of La Vuelta have departed from Benidorm

21,999 inhabitants.
Cullera is a magical city and an unforgettable destination. With long and stunning beaches, a rich cultural history, delicious Mediterranean food, watersports and much more, Cullera offers you the opportunity to disconnect from the world and enjoy its peace and natural beauty. This town near Valencia, which La Vuelta visited for the first time in 1980, will delight visitors with its rich food heritage and its cultural options. One of these is the remarkable Pirata Dragut Museum. This cave, located in the district of Faro de Cullera, showcases the pirates’ way of life in the 16th century, as a reminder of the occasion when the town was attacked in 1550 by Dragout, the legendary Barbarossa’s right-hand man.

IMG_4738.jpg

History

The mountain of Cullera has been inhabited for centuries. The historia of Cullera consists of three distinct periods: the Prehistoric period, the Roman Period and the Moorish Period. This long history has left us with a rich cultural history to draw on.

Gastronomy

Cullera has been an important exponent of Valencian and Mediterranean food. Cullera specializes in rices. Seafood Paellas, Vegeterian Paellas, the famous ‘All i Pebre’ and a wide-range of fish are available at any restaruant, along with classic Spanish dishes such as patatas bravas.

seafood-paella.jpg

patatas-bravas?&wid=1087

El Puig
Unprecedented Vuelta finale

8,618 inhabitants
Located some twenty kilometers away from the provincial capital, Valencia, El Puig played a key role in the Reconquista of Spain from the Moors, which was led by Jaime I in this region. From his castle he planned his battle strategy, and in honour of his victory in 1237 he built the monastery called Real Monasterio de Santa María de El Puig. This edifice, declared a National Historical-Artistic Monument in 1969, still retains its Salón Real [Royal Quarters], which is for the exclusive use of Spanish monarchs visiting Valencia.

El-Puig.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Be interesting to see if that cat3 puts any sprinters in trouble - looking at the stage by stage guide I thought it may do but the gradient profile above suggests not.

Speaking of stage guide I hadn't really been taking too much notice of the Vuelta other than watching the highlights but after that Quintana win the other day I had quick look - of course looking at the climbs and locations doesn't give the full story - but at first glance it does look like a cracking parcours.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    That Paella looks awesome
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

The patatas looks even better, I could quite happily eat that now. Reading these spoiler threads whilst on a diet is difficult!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

Have a real objection to having to shell the seafood myself in a restaurant.
  • Pross

And me, I also hate getting served fish with the head and tail intact.
  • mididoctors
    edited August 2019
    Fussy eaters .... That is a pan of delicious win. Taste better cooked like that.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    I'm not so much fussy, as like to have my food ready to eat when I'm supposed to be paying a chef to do so!
  • mididoctors
    Mmmmm yummy and good for you too
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766

But then how could you suck the contents of the prawns head out ?? (Common practice in China).
  • rick_chasey
    pat1cp wrote:

But then how could you suck the contents of the prawns head out ?? (Common practice in China).

Shell it and stick the heads on the side?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    pat1cp wrote:

You clearly don't like getting your hands dirty... :wink:

The shelling is part of the pleasure! Presume you expect a rack of ribs to be de-boned...
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I don’t order racks
  • Pross
    dish_dash wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:

The shelling is part of the pleasure! Presume you expect a rack of ribs to be de-boned...

I wouldn't order ribs for that very reason (and you get very little meat for your money).
  • dish_dash
    Pross wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:

I wouldn't order ribs for that very reason (and you get very little meat for your money).

oh man... you folks are missing out!
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah apparently as a kid i hated any mess on me. I grew up hating all sports that involved getting muddy - used to hate that, and I still do.

Even stresses me out trying to feed my little one as the mess is everywhere, so yeah, I'm not into getting my hands mucky if I'm paying.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    How are you with getting your teeth mucky? What with all that food that needs chewing, I expect you’re a bit of a soup kinda guy?
  • rick_chasey
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    How are you with getting your teeth mucky? What with all that food that needs chewing, I expect you’re a bit of a soup kinda guy?

Yeah I just live off distilled water tbh.
  • dish_dash
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Try some of this... 8)

Love+Hemp+Water.jpg?format=1000w
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    dish_dash wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Try some of this... 8)

Love+Hemp+Water.jpg?format=1000w

Aw... for the first time in his life, my brother was so nearly ahead of the curve: he’s been doing it the wrong way round by having his hemp products with a few drops of water.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Is the stormy weather front heading towards today's stage?
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    Is the stormy weather front heading towards today's stage?

Yes and Steven Kruijswijk abandons another Vuelta, due to a knee injury picked up during Watergate. :P
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    No problem... Hesink will just have to cover for him rather than shoot off up the road stage hunting.
    Half man, Half bike
  • EF bring themselves down in entire team crash. Uran not a happy bunny.
    Maybe they felt left out in the TTT?
  • EF trying to do what they failed to do at the Tour and split the bunch.
    Riders starting to form groups rather than echelons...
    Poels out the back.
  • 0003110209010104FFFFFFFFFFFFFF10.jpg
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Sam Bennett apparently came from a long way back after losing the wheel in the run in. Even at 150m he was nowhere near according to reports.

EDIT: He went the wrong/long way round a roundabout at about 1.2K to go
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    That bloke in third place in the photo needs to get himself a proper bike...
    Half man, Half bike
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Ridgerider wrote:
    That bloke in third place in the photo needs to get himself a proper bike...
    :D:D:D:D

Sam B took the long way round the last roundabout and dropped 15 places, but also started his sprint a fraction late I think.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    I think that might be the closest photo finish I have ever seen.
  • mididoctors
    Pretty hectic finale