Tiny hex screw in freehub??

Tyxpx
Tyxpx Posts: 18
edited August 2019 in Workshop
Might be a dumb question to many but I can not find what this is, so what is it? I have moved it out and put it back in with no real difference in how the parts are moving around within the HUB. It is just a very small hex head screw in the outside of the freehub body.

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    a picture or hub model would be helpful
  • Tyxpx
    Also, if anyone would know if the dings in the housing are OK? I have read that it happens a lot to people, but nothing on when to replace the hub or what makes it do that. I dont even know which hub from HED to buy to replace this one, or what spacer to use when I mount it onto my build haha.

The tiny hole pictured is the hex screw I am talking about.

48626924812_3cb53a57d3_h.jpg12 by Kevin Edge, on Flickr
  • Alejandrosdog
    ok thank you for the picture,

The marks are from the cassette digging in, theyre fine and quite normal on softer material freehubs.

Not sure about the hole, does the screw hold the spacer in place?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    Grease port maybe?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Tyxpx
    Grease port sounds reasonable. When I took the screw out it did not feel like it was holding anything in place ( I messed around with things when it was out). It's still nice to know exactly what things are though lol.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Its not a grease port. Btw did the hex screw have a pointed end?

The body contains sealed bearings, squirting grease about wont make a difference,

The pawls on the free hub tend to usually work better with a very very light grease (i use a drop of gun oil) . They're prone to gunking up with anything else.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    I think it is a grease port
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I don't think it's a grease port, for the reasons stated earlier. The bearings are all sealed anyway, so greasing them externally would be pointless. And you don't want to be forcing grease into the freewheel ratchet pawls anyway (the hole is in the wrong position for that purpose anyway). If it's a grub screw it will be retaining something - or separating something...
  • Tyxpx
    Guessing I will have to call in to HED and ask them ha.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    How old is the hub ? Some Hed hubs don't have an inner seal and do have a grease port - however I couldn't swear that is what is going on here just struggling to see what else it could be.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Tyxpx
    Well I called HED directly and they told me it was a oil/grease port. They said it isn't usually necessary, but that is what it is.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Tyxpx wrote:
    Well I called HED directly and they told me it was a oil/grease port. They said it isn't usually necessary, but that is what it is.

There you go! Mystery solved.