How to remove rear wheel on Sram X7 derailleur fitted bike?

johnp801
johnp801 Posts: 52
edited August 2019 in MTB beginners
This is driving me crazy...is there an easy (or even easier) way to remove and fit the rear wheel to a bike fitted with Sram X7 derailleurs? I have no problem doing this with Shimano derailleurs fitted but I have resorted to having to take the chain off on our Sram X7 fitted bikes. I have scoured Youtube for answers but they are all referring to the Mk2 type derailleurs with the cage lock function or to Shimano derailleurs with clutches.

Just to clarify.......the real ordeal is when trying to get the wheel back on...without mincing my fingers or wrecking the rotor

I am already dropping to both smallest cogs front and back...it doesnt help.

Help!

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Never had a problem, always used middle ring, middle gear so the chain is in a straight line. Sounds like you are trying to fight the chain when it's totally out of line.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • johnp801
    I'll give that a try, Robert....because sure as hell, I've been having some major problems...for instance...even getting the wheel in and the chain around the cassette...with just two hands. One hand holding the wheel...one hand pulling the derailleur down, which is very tightly sprung.....no hands left but I feel I could do with another one or two. As I've said, I can do this with ease on bikes with Shimano rear mechs.
    I might add...the Sram X7 mechs I'm having problems with are long cage.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I always put it in the highest gear at the rear, it means less chain tension and also less distance to move the mech (rearwards) to go round and underneath the cassette.

Never found SRAM any different to Shimano.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    You are doing this with the bike upside down aren't you?, ie sat on its bars and saddle.
    Before you take the wheel out, put the bike in a middle gear so that the chain is in a straight line.

To replace the wheel, stand behind the rear wheel, mech will be on the left. Hold the mech firmly so that it is straightened out and then rotate it backwards to give the maximum opening. Then slot the wheel in. Engage the middle of the cassette onto the chain and then wiggle the axle into place. It is never "dead easy", but it always goes in with a bit of wiggling.

This has worked on everything from 3x7 to 1x12 and everything in between, SRAM or Shimano. Practice, practice! :)

It is harder than an expert makes it look, but a lot easier than a newbie makes it look! :lol:
  • johnp801
    Has anyone experience of doing this with a Sram X7 long cage rear mech...the one without the cage lock? I can do it on bikes with a Shimano RD-M591....and other Shimanos I've had...with ease...but this Sram mech, its a different story...for me, anyway
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have had bikes with Shimano, Sram and Campagnolo rear derailleurs and the method has always been the same.
    I always put the bike in the highest gear at the rear, pull back the derailleur and take the wheel out. Replacement is simply a reversal, making sure the smallest sprocket engages with the chain before it goes in to the drop outs.

What bike is the mech on?

Can you post a couple of pictures of the mech and drop out area?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • johnp801
    The bike is a Rockrider 8.1....I'll see if I can sort some pics.

I'm now actually wondering if I'm having this problem because I''ve been trying to pull the mech down by the bottom of the cage...instead of by the bit that says X7 on it...the bit thats actually bolted to and swivels on the hanger
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    JohnP801 wrote:
    ...the bit... ...swivels on the hanger

There's your answer. :)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • johnp801
    I'll deffo check if that is the answer and will thank all for the advice
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I did say:

"Hold the mech firmly so that it is straightened out and then rotate it backwards to give the maximum opening."
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Yeh you have to pull the whole mech back which you can't really do easily just by pulling back the from the end of the cage /lower jockey wheel