Allez Sport Query

david2788
david2788 Posts: 4
edited August 2019 in Road beginners
Hi All,

Firstly I’ve always enjoyed cycling when growing to and spent a lot of my weekends on mountain bikes with friends. In the last few months I’ve been going down to a local motor circuit which they use for cyclists once a week and I’ve just hired a bike each week.

I decided to take the plunge and buy one this week so I can do my own thing a bit more as well and cycle more than once a week.

So I bought the Allez Sport and had a couple of rides on it and really enjoying it, I was hiring a carbon bike so can feel the difference but still really enjoying it. I know it’s a stupid question and the back cog has 9 gears but I can’t seem to be able to move it onto the big cog as I find the lowest gear is still a little high on the flat. I’ve tried using the gear lever but nothing happens. Or is it that the bike is just mean to run on the smaller cog?

Btw I appreciate this is a very newbie question!!

Thanks

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    sounds just like the gears need adjusting and/or a new inner and outer cable.

its nothing major - 20 minute job.

have a look on the Park Tools site on YouTube or drop it into a shop - 1/2 labour and a tenner of parts if everything else (rear mech and hanger) is cool.

#gears
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Very newbie question but even now the specs say 9 gears I presume that means 9 gears on the rear cassette and as the front cog has 2 its 2x9?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    exactomondo mon ami.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    If you bought from a shop, you should be getting a free sort out any niggles after a few weeks service. Get them to sort out the gears adjustment.
  • Yeah I’ve contacted the shop and they have said bring it in.

My worry was that it wasn’t broke it was just not meant to be able to move on the from ring and I would have looked an idiot in the shop!