Headset Headache

leehutch
leehutch Posts: 17
edited August 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
https://flic.kr/p/2h4g4Eg

Should the forks just slide out of the headset?

It is stuck solid, it turns side to side fine but won’t come out.

I got the bike from a friend and I don’t think anything has ever been done on it.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Try tapping the top of the steerer tube with a soft-faced mallet to piece of wood.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • leehutch
    JBA wrote:
    Try tapping the top of the steerer tube with a soft-faced mallet to piece of wood.

I was thinking this but just wanted to check that it should just slide out?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not at all unusual, the top wedge gets jammed between the steerer and the top bearing, sometimes it can take a fair bit of shifting (never use a metal hammer direct on steerer), once its moved if you then push the forks back up the steerer will usually pull the wedge out of the bearing and you can remove it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • leehutch
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not at all unusual, the top wedge gets jammed between the steerer and the top bearing, sometimes it can take a fair bit of shifting (never use a metal hammer direct on steerer), once its moved if you then push the forks back up the steerer will usually pull the wedge out of the bearing and you can remove it.

Prefect! Thank you, yeah I have a rubber mallet and a lump of wood to go at it!
  • leehutch
    It is out!!! Just took some gentle tapping!!

Thanks guys
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The bike was in the workstand. The first time I removed the stem and bars, I turned to put down the Allen key and the whole front of the bike fell off! :lol: