Rim suggestion - SON dynohub build

alan_sherman
alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
After some specific suggestions for a dynohub build on a SON delux dynohub. It is 32 spoke driling, was built 3x on a mavic open sport rim, looking at replacing with a rim that is wider to better support 700x35 tyres, would like stiffer laterally than the Mavic, but suspect the narrow flange spacing is the main issue there.

Use is for commute on a hybrid on gravel (Thames Path around Hammersmith bridge), but also would like to be able to use it on the best bike for long rides to power GPS / light with a 25mm / 28mm tyre.

So I'd like something reasonably light, 19mm wide at the bead, prefer some wear indicator, and has to be black.

Was thinking H Plus SON, but then the KINLIN XR-22T seems cheaper and as good? Neither has a wear indicator though. Mavic open pro UST seems expensive for no gain. Any advance on the XR-22?

Failing that I could take the new Giant GX-02 rim from the hybrid's front wheel, I know little about it, but it is 622x19 and has a wear indicator, no eyelets, a shrader valve hole (so would need a spacer for road bike duty) and has the ERD of 597.6 printed on the label. Image here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wPxa9iqQAo1rwmKHA

this last option is the sensible one I think.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    DT 460?

It's 18, rather than 19 internal, but otherwise...
    left the forum March 2023
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    If you are looking at the H Plus Son Archetype, they do have a wear indicator - a little dot on each side of the brake track. They are certainly nice looking quality rims (mine are grey with silver spokes and silver White Industries hubs) and fitting and removing tyres (I use Schwalbe Ones with tubes) is exceptionally easy. No experience of the other rims but Malcolm of The Cycle Clinic really rates the Kinlin XR-22T (he brands them BORG 22) particularly if you are going tubeless. But they are tighter for tyre-fitting than Archetypes. They are 19mm wide internally. Archetypes 17.5.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Thanks both. The Achetypes seem a but narrow for the 35c tyre which will get the most use. Useful to know about the wear indicator though. Also Ugo thanks for the DT suggestion - looks like a good option.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Thanks both. The Achetypes seem a but narrow for the 35c tyre which will get the most use. Useful to know about the wear indicator though. Also Ugo thanks for the DT suggestion - looks like a good option.
    I agree the DT Swiss R460 is a very nice rim and r2-bike.de usually has them for less than 30 euro a pop.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Pacenti Forza? Not cheap but ticks your boxes.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D