Noisy drive train

lju00dt
lju00dt Posts: 7
edited August 2019 in Women's cycling forum
Hi

I recently replaced a broken wheel and given the age of the bike, bought a new cassette and chain.

It's an 8 speed sunrace freewheel with an 8 speed kmc chain. Prior to that it was an 8 speed shimano cassette.

Fitted it all OK, adjusted length of chain accordingly and it works fine.

It's just very very noisy. Previously my set up was silent. Now you can hear the chain running through the system of gears and jockey wheels.

It's been lubricated well too. I just wondered why these components make so much noise or if there is something I can do to aler this.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Have you thread the chain correctly through the rear mech. It’s easy to get it wrong.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Webboo wrote:
    Have you thread the chain correctly through the rear mech. It’s easy to get it wrong.

My first thought. easy to thread the chain over the rear mech tab instead of going under.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me too. Thought that was the kind of mistake you only make once. Apparently not, as I managed it again the last time I refitted a chain...

Failing that, it may all quieten down a bit after a few hundred miles as the new components get to know each other
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Is it trying to change gear?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    That or the indexing needs adjustment...

PP
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Did you shorten the chain to the right length?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    edited November 2019
    yeah done that threading the chain the wrong way round the rear mech :/ ...but it then sounds alot like a tractor and my excuse for not noticing Id done it for some while, is some drive trains can be very noisy,