Routes from Stoke-on-Trent

-Dash
-Dash Posts: 179
edited August 2019 in Tour & expedition
I'm likely up in Hanley on the weekend and looking for a few routes to ride. Would be nice to ride out and dip into the Peak District a bit, I've only really cycled in the centre/North of the Peak District before.

Also, wondering if there is much out West?

Anything between 50-100 miles acceptable.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    https://www.strava.com/routes/21210905

Is that too much what you've done before - I know I've not started or finished it in Hanley but I don't tend to ride that close to Stoke. Thought about adding the Cat and Fiddle in - if you've not done that you could maybe plot a route up to Macclesfield and over the Cat ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • As @DeVlaeminck has said.

Why not head up towards the Cat but head at it from Flash side. There's a number of options to get up there easy enough although I'd be avoiding the main Leek road. Maybe via Allgreave to Flash which is a great climb. Then you could head down into Buxton then up and out to Kettleshulme and back by the Goyt via Derbyshire Bridge and back up the Cat or head down to Lamaload Reservoir then back via Wildboarclough. Some of the above is CCN 70 so will be sign posted as well.

Plenty of pitstops en-route as well at Flash, Blaze Farm by Wildboarclough and others as well.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I rode over to Ashbourne a few weeks ago (as part of a longer, 1 way ride) along the back lanes via Cheddleton, Ipstones, Cauldon Low etc. and although the lanes were narrow in places and it rained most of the way it was pretty pleasant and very few cars. Definitely not a fast route though but nicer than riding down the A50.

I'm not sure how busy it would be on a sunny bank holiday weekend though.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I used to do a50 mile ride from Newcastle under lyme that i can only describe as thoroughly pleasant. I headed north to Mow Cop, then east to Leek and gun hill, followed by heading back west to Congleton and Alsager.

You could also add a loop after leek along to b5053, then through upper elkstone, before rejoining that original route at meersbrook. That's just to add on the great climb through elkstone
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll pick through these later on tonight.

I had thought about riding the Cat and Fiddle the East to West direction (I've previously ridden it from Macclesfield) but not too sure if the return roads to Hanley would be great.
  • -Dash wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll pick through these later on tonight.

I had thought about riding the Cat and Fiddle the East to West direction (I've previously ridden it from Macclesfield) but not too sure if the return roads to Hanley would be great.

You can head back easy enough via Wildboarclough or Allgreave off the top of the Cat and then via Bosley and Biddulph Moor down the back roads.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you google legbreaker or Leek cycling. There is an 80 mile and 50 mile route based on Leek although they are a touch hilly.