Plusnet Broadband

Lagrange
Lagrange Posts: 652
edited August 2019 in The hub
Thinking of changing to Plusnet. I use a VPN for work and another for 'private' use :roll: :oops: This is fine on BT but when I tried to change to a third party supplier you had to frig about with the router settings and of course they would not provide any guarantees.

Obvs I asked Plusnet but have been sent round in circles. So the question is - do any of you have any difficulties with VPN use on plusnet landline?

Many thanks

Comments

• Nope, I'm on PlusNet fibre broadband and use a VPN with no issues.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Thanks for that. They seem to offer fast BB so I suspect they are basically BT rebranded and therefore similar router configurations. I tried to use talk talk and they did not allow changes to the DNS - which was the restriction I was mentioning but BT don't seem to mind that.

Sooner we get 5g and away from wires the better.

Thx again
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Lagrange wrote:
    Thanks for that. They seem to offer fast BB so I suspect they are basically BT rebranded and therefore similar router configurations. I tried to use talk talk and they did not allow changes to the DNS - which was the restriction I was mentioning but BT don't seem to mind that.
    I think Plusnet is effectively a separate company but now owned by BT.
    I have standard ADSL with them and haven't had many problems. The router is basic - I'm not sure if you can change the DNS settings on it, or whether the newer routers allow this (mine is quite old).
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    :?: I've never met a router where you couldn't change the DNS addresses. And we did have Talk Talk for a while.
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67
    Lagrange wrote:

Sooner we get 5g and away from wires the better.

Thx again

The Plusnet router is a rebranded BT Home Hub.
    We're on BT, my daughter is on Plusnet. I had to set them both up. They are the same thing as far as I could tell
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Just switched back to Plusnet from ee yesterday (I always switch at end of contract to save money) and I was without internet from midnight until 10:30pm which was pretty annoying.

Otherwise my experience is all fttc providers are pretty identical.
  • I've been on Plusnet for many years. I can't remember the last time I had any sort of technical difficulty.
    Given the ability for anything and everything digital to go belly up the service has been excellent.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    As above - Plusnet routers are re-badged BT routers. I'm on John Lewis BB and that comes via Plusnet.

The standard `free` router is very average and only single band.

I bought a BT Business Home Hub and that works so much better and it's dual band. The Business version also allows you to tweak more settings than the standard HH.

Theoretically, you should be able to use your BT router on Plusnet without an issue.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • @BillyCool
    Yes. I'm on John Lewis via Plusnet. Agree about the routers and have been looking to improve the standard offering.
    Any chance you could share details of the replacement you are using, especially how easy it is for a computer numpty to set up?
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    @BillyCool
    Yes. I'm on John Lewis via Plusnet. Agree about the routers and have been looking to improve the standard offering.
    Any chance you could share details of the replacement you are using, especially how easy it is for a computer numpty to set up?

Sure, no problem.

BT Business Home Hub 6.

There is a whole forum dedicated to it.

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broa ... 93#M333492

Some of the users are very clued up and can offer good tech support.

The main thing is that there are 2 types of router FTTC and FTTP (or FTTH). You need to make sure you get the right one for the type of broadband that you have - either standard `down the phone line` or fibre.

The only thing you do is enter your John Lewis log in details and it should work. You can also separate the 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ bands, which makes life a bit easier for your devices (more modern ones prefer 5GHZ which is faster but lacks the range of the older 2.4GHZ). The HH6 also has MIMO (Multiple In, Multiple Out), which allows it to manage multiple devices better than the standard router.

You can but them brand new on eBay for £20-£25 or direct from BT for about £90.

Have a look at the forum - it's pages and pages but there is a good guide early about setting it up and the whole FTTC thing.

You don't need to be too tech savvy and it makes a huge difference.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Gee. Thanks for all that. Looks most useful.