Mobile phone holder?

undermanager
undermanager Posts: 42
edited August 2019 in Road beginners
I'm probably late to the game, but have never got round to putting my phone on my bikes, to use as a map / gps. I think I'm concerned about the impact of going over bumps, the vibrations then going through the frame and into my electronic phone - maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily?

So, I know lots of people have phone holders on their handlebars. Is this a problem, what should I look out for? What about a bag on the handlebar with a see through window to put your phone on?

Any advice or recommended products to consider would be welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• If you have to do it I'd suggest a quadlock mount, not cheap but good. If you want to do anything useful with a phone (like navigate) then be prepared for fast battery drain.

https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,143
    I have one of these: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... one-holder
    I found it in the bargain bin reduced from £10 to £3. £3 seems to be the standard price now.
    It works well, but the straps cover up bits of the screen. Whether that's a problem depends on that app you are using. I only use it for races (no jersey pockets) or if I really need to be following a route map.
    I have a Galaxy A3 - so one of the smaller modern phones around and I get the feeling anything bigger might be a bit of a stretch (badum...)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Keep it in your back pocket and consult it only when necessary. Battery life won't be great if you use it to navigate.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    vibration won't affect ypur telephone. its on a bicycle not a the Hindenberg or outside a Space Shuttle.

#it'llbefine
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Have you tried mobile in Jersey pocket and pairing up Bluetooth earbuds to get directions? I wouldn't use both buds, probably near side one only.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Just got a cheap one off of Ebay and will see how it goes, think I paid £3.29. There is a metal screwed one at £5 looks more secure.

I’m planning to hook up my power bank to the phone while on long journeys as it will drain the battery, might even get new solar power bank.

I had to keep pulling out my phone for directions today from my pocket which was a pain.
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    I'm probably late to the game, but have never got round to putting my phone on my bikes, to use as a map / gps. I think I'm concerned about the impact of going over bumps, the vibrations then going through the frame and into my electronic phone - maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily?

So, I know lots of people have phone holders on their handlebars. Is this a problem, what should I look out for? What about a bag on the handlebar with a see through window to put your phone on?

Any advice or recommended products to consider would be welcome.

Thanks

Topeak make a bag with a clear window. Seems pricey and looks ugly though!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Clements54 wrote:
    Just got a cheap one off of Ebay and will see how it goes, think I paid £3.29. There is a metal screwed one at £5 looks more secure.

I’m planning to hook up my power bank to the phone while on long journeys as it will drain the battery, might even get new solar power bank.

that whole set up is going to look well cool.

chapeau

#sleek
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I've got some spare Garmin bar mounts so bought some of these to attach to the back of spare phone cases;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32862439559.html

No issues with the losing the phone even when using a soft case.