Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• PBlakeney wrote:
    Because they can’t make enough money without dropping cookies on visitors.
    I get that.
    Why not just offer "Accept cookies" and "Leave"? The "manage" section is pointless.[/qu

Some do - they are just trying to be nice
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    The speed at which they clear the queue for the Tube after a gig at the O2. Picked my daughter up from there last night and there were thousands in front of us, we had a few minutes wait outside the entrance while they closed the doors to control numbers but when they reopened we were straight onto a train that was busy but not crowded and even managed to get seats. It took about 10 minutes in total.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Wales population: 3.2m
    Population of Engerland: 55.5m approx.

Makes England pretty sh1t at rugby.

(Population of NZ: 4.8m)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Why 'Yellowhammer'?

maxresdefault.jpg
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Pinno wrote:

you don't have to live in the country you have to be english or welsh (or at least kinda be able to prove you could be!) so populations aren't exactly accurate. A lot of Welsh people, such as myself, live in England and vice versa - you also have to look at rugby playing populations - 80 year old grandmas aren't going to be much good in a match!

Rugby is a much bigger sport in Wales than England - some schools only have rugby teams and don't actually play football at all.

I'm not trying to defend England (i'm Welsh!) just if you are going to make a point at least use correct statistics!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Pross
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

you don't have to live in the country you have to be english or welsh (or at least kinda be able to prove you could be!) so populations aren't exactly accurate. A lot of Welsh people, such as myself, live in England and vice versa - you also have to look at rugby playing populations - 80 year old grandmas aren't going to be much good in a match!

Rugby is a much bigger sport in Wales than England - some schools only have rugby teams and don't actually play football at all.

I'm not trying to defend England (i'm Welsh!) just if you are going to make a point at least use correct statistics!

I suspect the proportions of Welsh to English aren't much different to the proportions of the populations of England and Wales though. The best guide is the number of registered players (France come out badly on that with more registered players than England and a worse ranking but England have about 7 times the number of registered players than Wales).
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pinno wrote:

:):):)

#13-6
    #cymru
    #knockingoverdustbins
    #Worldnumber1
    #thoughtenglandweremeanttobegood?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • No, England are rubbish BUT have won the RWC, won more GS than Wales, beaten Wales more times than defeats so yes are rubbish but unfortunately for you part time, only support when winning supporters, Wales are even more rubbish. Get it now or do you need a diagram? :lol::lol::lol:

Still intrigued (you know as per subject matter) why no comment on last weeks results. You know, when the mighty Wales and Italy lost. Strange that. Said no one. Ever.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Because they can’t make enough money without dropping cookies on visitors.
    I get that.
    Why not just offer "Accept cookies" and "Leave"? The "manage" section is pointless.

Surely you mean Leave but only with a deal.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    No, England are rubbish BUT have won the RWC, won more GS than Wales, beaten Wales more times than defeats so yes are rubbish but unfortunately for you part time, only support when winning supporters, Wales are even more rubbish. Get it now or do you need a diagram? :lol::lol::lol:

Still intrigued (you know as per subject matter) why no comment on last weeks results. You know, when the mighty Wales and Italy lost. Strange that. Said no one. Ever.

OK so England won something. Smashing.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Robert88 wrote:
    Why 'Yellowhammer'?

maxresdefault.jpg

Ammer is German for bunting.

The older I get, the better I was.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Can someone explain me this.

If a number of sovereign bonds are going for negative rates, why aren't they going on a massive borrowing and spending spree, till at least rates return to positive?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Can someone explain me this.

If a number of sovereign bonds are going for negative rates, why aren't they going on a massive borrowing and spending spree, till at least rates return to positive?

Who is they? The government or the private sector? The private sector is not able to see sufficient returns even at such low rates. The governments should be going on a spending spree if they are Keynesian. Eurozone countries don't have that ability.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    . Eurozone countries don't have that ability.

Because of fiscal constraints?

If so, they are bonkers.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    . Eurozone countries don't have that ability.

Because of fiscal constraints?

If so, they are bonkers.

Yes, and yes.
  • rick_chasey
    Absolutely crackers.
  • TheBigBean
    Absolutely crackers.

Even more crackers when you consider that Germany is slowly sliding into recession and has a budget surplus, so isn't even constrained by fiscal rules.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Absolutely crackers.

Even more crackers when you consider that Germany is slowly sliding into recession and has a budget surplus, so isn't even constrained by fiscal rules.

Yeah - and there is plenty to spend it on; lots of public responsibility things like infrastructure are really crumbling.

It's sort of like the Tory take on personal finance during the austerity years but more extreme; applying personal finance lens to macro problems.
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    edited August 2019
    Back to things that REALLY annoy and intrigue, and confuse me personally

BREXIT, on and on and on and on
    People who start almost every sentence with either "So" or "Basically" LEARN ENGLISH
    Wot instead of What, aint instead of isn't, init
    Dropping T's in words like "kitten and saying "kien" again, learn to speak properly It was once called "Common"

Forums (not this one) such as Photography, Astronomy where someone starts a thread "show us your gear" just to "show off" Normally American forums, mine is better than you have

Rant over
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Midnight wrote:
    Back to things that REALLY annoy me

People who start almost every sentence with either "So" or "Basically" LEARN ENGLISH

This is the "Intrigue you" thread .... it really annoys me when people don't check which thread they're on before they post ...

Oh :oops: :lol:
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    Slowbike wrote:
    Midnight wrote:

This is the "Intrigue you" thread .... it really annoys me when people don't check which thread they're on before they post ...

Or when people don't allow you to finish editing your post, As a person with Aspergers, Autism, I may take time to ......... finish, and edit it two or three times, sorry for the.......... inconvenience
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Midnight wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Midnight wrote:

Or when people don't allow you to finish editing your post, As a person with Aspergers, Autism, I may take time to ......... finish, and edit it two or three times, sorry for the.......... inconvenience
    :mrgreen:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Seeing one of those big metal closed sided lorries pass me, no windows or vents visible, with 'Live Animals' printed on the back doors. What sort of live anImals would get transported in those conditions? Fish in tanks? Are fish animals? Chin scratch follows...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Midnight wrote:
    ...init...

Nah - 'innit', innit?

I though that your condition would make you a stickler for detail :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Why is it that some people will stand waiting in the middle of a platform at a station but then as soon as the train comes in and the front of the train passes them they start walking with it rather that waiting for it to stop and going to the nearest door or standing at the front end of the platform to start with?
  • Pross wrote:
    Why is it that some people will stand waiting in the middle of a platform at a station but then as soon as the train comes in and the front of the train passes them they start walking with it rather that waiting for it to stop and going to the nearest door or standing at the front end of the platform to start with?

It is because shorter trains stop where they were originally standing. If in a hurry you want to be in the first carriage.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:

Because once the train has reached them they will know where in the train their reserved seat will be?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Because once the train has reached them they will know where in the train their reserved seat will be?

Unlikely in the instance this morning as it is mainly one or two stop commuters with no seat reservations (and you are lucky to get a seat by time it reaches our stop).
  • Pross wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Unlikely in the instance this morning as it is mainly one or two stop commuters with no seat reservations (and you are lucky to get a seat by time it reaches our stop).

amateurs
  • rick_chasey
    If you pay attention to the white/yellow lines painting on the edge of the platform it's easy to see where the doors typically stop, as the paint is usually much more discoloured.