Shimano Brake Levers

pops68@gmail.com
pops68@gmail.com Posts: 3
edited August 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

Hopefully, a straightforward question???

I have recently fitted the Shimano SLX M675 brakes on to my bike and really like them. However, I’ve just seen the XT models and their levers, with the dimples running along the levers. I prefer these as you’ve got a little extra hold/grip.

I have seen replacement levers for the Shimano Deore XT BL-M8000 Lever Member Unit. My query is will these lever easily swap over for my existing Shimano SLX M675 levers?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    When was the last time your finger slippers off the brake lever?

I have XT M785 brakes (no dimples) on my HT and M8000 brakes (dimples) on my FS and can't tell the difference in terms of lever grip.
    I suspect the hassle involved in changing the levers far outweighs any potential benefit.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Get some really rough sandpaper and rub it over the lever where your finger goes. Problem solved.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Or stick some grip tape to the brake levers.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks guys, appreciate your views, I may try the grip tape.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    JBA wrote:
    When was the last time your finger slippers off the brake lever?

I have XT M785 brakes (no dimples) on my HT and M8000 brakes (dimples) on my FS and can't tell the difference in terms of lever grip.
    I suspect the hassle involved in changing the levers far outweighs any potential benefit.

I had exactly the same set-up on my HT and FS and never noticed a difference.

The dimples make no difference at all!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    You could get these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protector-Anti ... 4663944285
    Guy on a YouTube channel ‘Seth’ reviewed a pair and swears by them