Tour de l'Avenir 2019

DeadCalm
DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
edited September 2019 in Pro race
Starts today with what should be a sprint stage. Pidcock and Hayter both riding for Team GB. The Colombians have a talented team of climbers including Rubio who was second in the Baby Giro although his compatriot Ardila, winner of that race, is not riding.

The full startlist is here:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/to ... /startlist

Recent winners have had some reasonable results. :wink: It'll be interesting to see who can follow them. Sadly, it looks as though Eurosport are only showing the final two stages.

The last five winners:

Lopez
Soler
Gaudu
Bernal
Pogacar
Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    The son of a friend of mine (training partner when we both started out cycling) is riding this - Irish rider but part of a UCI team - Ben Healy
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    Deleted
  • The Côte de Crest Voland Cohennoz climb on stage 7 is a wee beast. They're missing out the first bit from the Ugine steel works which would make it even harder, but it's a beast none the less.
  • DeadCalm
    Mathias Norsgaard Jörgensen of Denmark won the first stage in impressive fashion. He was part of a two man break that went in the opening kilometres and having gotten rid of his breakaway companion along the way, held off the peloton by 52 seconds.

Hayter and Pidcock managed to take the first two places in the sprint for second following a big crash in the final three kilometres.

Stage 2 is a team time trial so there is a good chance that Jörgensen will extend his lead.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Mathias Norsgaard Jörgensen of Denmark won the first stage in impressive fashion. He was part of a two man break that went in the opening kilometres and having gotten rid of his breakaway companion along the way, held off the peloton by 52 seconds.

Hayter and Pidcock managed to take the first two places in the sprint for second following a big crash in the final three kilometres.

Stage 2 is a team time trial so there is a good chance that Jörgensen will extend his lead.

The Swiss won, Danes in 3rd, 53" seconds behind.

Mathias Norsgaard keeps his lead, but has 4 Swiss 5" behind him.

PS DeadCalm - It's Jørgensen, not Jörgensen. He's not a bloody Swede. And we tend to use First name - Middle name (Mathias Norsgaard) not First name - Last name (Mathias Jørgensen) ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    A thousand apologies to No tA Doctor, Mathias Norsgaard Jørgensen and indeed the entire Danish nation for my sloppiness. I cut and pasted his name from the l'Avenir website.

From a GC perspective, the Colombians finished 19th, more than two and a half minutes down, leaving Rubio et al 1 minute 45 behind Bagioli of Italy who seems to be the highest placed recognised GC contender.
    Team My Man 2022:

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    DeadCalm wrote:
    A thousand apologies to No tA Doctor, Mathias Norsgaard Jørgensen and indeed the entire Danish nation for my sloppiness. I cut and pasted his name from the l'Avenir website.

From a GC perspective, the Colombians finished 19th, more than two and a half minutes down, leaving Rubio et al 1 minute 45 behind Bagioli of Italy who seems to be the highest placed recognised GC contender.

Apology accepted.

Besides, we're too busy being offended by Trump trying to buy Greenland than to worry too much about naming conventions ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    Stage 3 was a lumpy stage from Montignac-Lascaux to Mauriac. Hayter and Pidcock were first and second respectively in a sprint from a select group of about 20 riders. Stuart Balfour had earlier infiltrated the break allowing Hayter and Pidcock an easy ride until the pointy end of the race.

Young Mathias Norsgaard Jørgensen was dropped on the final climb and consequently surrendered yellow to Tobias Foss of Norway. Foss, who has a couple of top 10s in this race already (7th in 2017, 9th in 2018), will step up to the World Tour with Jumbo-Visma in 2020.

Some very brief highlights and a short interview with Hayter here: http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/41312

Top 10 GC after stage 3.

Rnk Prev ▼▲ Rider Team UCI Time
    1 7 ▲6 FOSS Tobias Norway 1 7:40:55
    2 6 ▲4 SLEEN Torjus Norway ,,
    3 3 - LÜSCHER Damian Switzerland ,,
    4 13 ▲9 OLDANI Stefano Italy 0:24
    5 14 ▲9 BATTISTELLA Samuele Italy ,,
    6 15 ▲9 BAGIOLI Andrea Italy ,,
    7 17 ▲10 HAYTER Ethan Great Britain 0:26
    8 18 ▲10 PIDCOCK Thomas Great Britain ,,
    9 2 ▼7 BISSEGGER Stefan Switzerland 0:32
    10 28 ▲18 CHAMPOUSSIN Clément France 0:38
    Team My Man 2022:

• Yesterday (stage 4) was bittersweet for the British squad - Fred Wright won the sprint from a group of seven, whereas Hayter broke his collarbone (about 4km from the finish, according to Wright) and had to abandon the race.

GC is currently as follows (from PCS, which seems to be the go to place for results these days):

1 22 ▲21 GUGLIELMI Simon France 2 11:37:02
    2 23 ▲21 ALEOTTI Giovanni Italy 0:01
    3 1 ▼2 FOSS Tobias Norway 0:42
    4 2 ▼2 SLEEN Torjus Norway ,,
    5 3 ▼2 LÜSCHER Damian Switzerland ,,
    6 5 ▼1 BATTISTELLA Samuele Italy 1:06
    7 6 ▼1 BAGIOLI Andrea Italy ,,
    8 4 ▼4 OLDANI Stefano Italy ,,
    9 8 ▼1 PIDCOCK Thomas Great Britain 1:08
    10 9 ▼1 BISSEGGER Stefan Switzerland 1:14
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    The son of a friend of mine (training partner when we both started out cycling) is riding this - Irish rider but part of a UCI team - Ben Healy

He won today (stage 5)!
    Félicitations!
  • DeVlaeminck
    NicFrance wrote:

He won today (stage 5)!
    Félicitations!

Yes just saw his dad post on Facebook - his dad actually got into road cycling partly through the old Cycling Plus forum - he used to post as Bloocow - which preceded this one so we all played a part!!
  • DeadCalm
    Thanks to notquite6foot for the update on stage 4.

As noted above Ben Healy of Ireland won stage 5 from the break. Ben is a member of Team Wiggins but is riding here as part of the Centre Mondial du Cyclisme team.

No significant movement in the GC.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Pidcock was contention for a stage win (stage 6), up until he crashed somewhere in the last 3km (I think on the descent from the Col du Moulin à Vent). He was forced to withdraw and was taken to hospital; the nature of his injuries were yet to be confirmed.

Stefan Bissegger took the spoils. Here's the latest GC (Pidcock was 43s behind in 7th before pulling out):

1 2 ▲1 ALEOTTI Giovanni Italy 2 18:38:34
    2 3 ▲1 FOSS Tobias Norway 0:05
    3 5 ▲2 LÜSCHER Damian Switzerland 0:18
    4 10 ▲6 BISSEGGER Stefan Switzerland 0:26
    5 7 ▲2 BATTISTELLA Samuele Italy 0:30
    6 11 ▲5 JORGENSON Matteo United States 0:34
    7 14 ▲6 RUTSCH Jonas Germany 0:57
    8 16 ▲7 VAN WILDER Ilan Belgium 1:00
    9 15 ▲5 VANSEVENANT Mauri Belgium 1:20
    10 20 ▲9 GALL Felix Austria 1:35
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Pidcock was contention for a stage win (stage 6), up until he crashed somewhere in the last 3km (I think on the descent from the Col du Moulin à Vent). He was forced to withdraw and was taken to hospital; the nature of his injuries were yet to be confirmed.

Stefan Bissegger took the spoils. Here's the latest GC (Pidcock was 43s behind in 7th before pulling out):

1 2 ▲1 ALEOTTI Giovanni Italy 2 18:38:34
    2 3 ▲1 FOSS Tobias Norway 0:05
    3 5 ▲2 LÜSCHER Damian Switzerland 0:18
    4 10 ▲6 BISSEGGER Stefan Switzerland 0:26
    5 7 ▲2 BATTISTELLA Samuele Italy 0:30
    6 11 ▲5 JORGENSON Matteo United States 0:34
    7 14 ▲6 RUTSCH Jonas Germany 0:57
    8 16 ▲7 VAN WILDER Ilan Belgium 1:00
    9 15 ▲5 VANSEVENANT Mauri Belgium 1:20
    10 20 ▲9 GALL Felix Austria 1:35

Tom's alright. Facial injuries and probably a concussion but that took the brunt of his fall it seems
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Mixed fortunes for the young Brits in this race for sure.
  • DeadCalm
    Pidcock being shown as 7th in the latest GC on the Tour de l'Avenir site and still in Green. He finished last but has been given a time 23 seconds behind the stage winner.
    Team My Man 2022:

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    He crashed in the final kilometre whilst in the lead group, so the 3 km rule applies. Presumably he finished, given he's classified in the results, but he won't be starting this morning according to BC.
  • DeadCalm
    It's a rest day today but, even so, better not to take a chance with a concussion. Rotten luck for the young British lads.
    Team My Man 2022:

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I think the two stage wins will be some compensation.
  • DeadCalm
    Harold Tejada (Colombia) won stage 7 beating Mauri Vansevenant (Belgium) in a sprint. Mauri Vansevenant takes the leader's yellow jersey.

General standings:
    1 VANSEVENANT Mauri BELGIUM BEL the 867.8 km in 21h32'26 '' (avg 40,486 km / h)
    2 ALEOTTI Giovanni ITALY ITA 45 ''
    3 FOSS Tobias S. NORWEGIAN NOR 50 ''
    4 BATTISTELLA Samuele ITALY ITA 01'15 ''
    5 JORGENSON Mattéo UNITED STATES USA 01'19 ''
    6 VAN WILDER Ilan BELGIUM BEL 01'45 ''
    7 CHAMPOUSSIN Clément FRANCE FRA 02'06 ''
    8 BERRADE FERNANDEZ Urko SPAIN ESP 02'50 ''
    9 ZIMMERMANN Georg GERMANY GER 03'02 ''
    10 MONIQUET Sylvain BELGIUM BEL 03'06 ''
    Team My Man 2022:

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Is Mauri related to Wim 'Lanterne Rouge' Vansevenant? If so he'll be ashamed at seeing Mauri at the wrong end of the GC.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Is that... Van Wilder at No. 6???

His dad finally cut off his college tuition then.

MV5BMTM4YjQxYzAtNzAyNy00Zjk1LTk4ZTMtNTUwNTBjMWY1M2IwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
  • DeadCalm
    Stage 8 was a bonkers 23 kilometre dash up a mountain won by Alexander Evans of Australia. Foss moves back into the leader's jersey.

New GC:

1 3 ▲2 FOSS Tobias
    Norway
    2 22:39:37
    2 5 ▲3 JORGENSON Matteo
    United States
    0:23
    3 2 ▼1 ALEOTTI Giovanni
    Italy
    0:41
    4 7 ▲3 CHAMPOUSSIN Clément
    France
    0:58
    5 6 ▲1 VAN WILDER Ilan
    Belgium
    1:38
    6 4 ▼2 BATTISTELLA Samuele
    Italy
    2:20
    7 1 ▼6 VANSEVENANT Mauri
    Belgium
    2:35
    8 9 ▲1 ZIMMERMANN Georg
    Germany
    3:30
    9 8 ▼1 BERRADE Urko
    Spain
    4:19
    10 15 ▲5 RIES Michel
    Luxembourg
    Team My Man 2022:

• Hungarian victory- Valter who rides for CCC development

Foss remain s on GC
  • 2 Italians 2 Belgian s a French a Spaniard a Lux and a German in the top 10 The world's gone mad !
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    2 Italians 2 Belgian s a French a Spaniard a Lux and a German in the top 10 The world's gone mad !

Colombian cycling is finished.
  • DeadCalm
    Apologies for abandoning this thread just before the climax. One of my cycling buddies suffered some life changing injuries in a crash. Priorities and all that.

I didn't get to see the final two stages but they were apparently not all that. Tobias Foss from Norway won the overall. Consensus seems to be that he's not in the class of the recent batch of winners, benefiting from some crucial absences. Nevertheless, I'll be keeping an eye out to see how he does.
    Team My Man 2022:

• I was out riding the Croix de Fer last weekend and literally bumped into the Tour de L'Avenir at the top of the Glandon.

Was really exciting to watch and they were well spread out before starting to descend.