La Vuelta build up

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,137
edited August 2019 in Pro race
Let's have a thread.

I was prompted to start one due to Jumbo picking the team they should have picked for either the Giro or Tour

ECHMYS1WwAEXxEy.jpg
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I was about to post a Vuelta pre-race chat, so thanks.

Due to being both a bit busy and extremely fûckïng lazy, I have no idea a) who is racing and b) what the parcours looks like.

Please enlighten me, somebody, anybody. I'm too old and knackered to be searching for enlightenment myself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Current odds (Betway)

15/8 Roglic
    15/4 Carapaz
    3/1 Lopez
    9/1 Kruijswijk
    14/1 Valverde, Quintana
    20/1 G-Hart
    28/1 Chaves, Pogacar, Higuita, Majka, Fuglsang
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Neither Yates riding.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    Gweeds wrote:
    Neither Yates riding.
    Mitchelton phoning it in a little bit. Frosty for the win!

ECFBh7sU4AIvlBn.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    That Jumbo team is ridiculously strong if the Tour riders aren't knackered.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    So are Ineos just writing this one off then? Was hoping G would go but I reckon they're lining him up for the Giro with Froome and Bernal to be joint leaders for the Tour.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    It feels like a few teams aren’t really that bothered about this one.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    So stupid Geraint isn't riding for the win. If you want leader status at the Tour, maybe it doesn't hurt to actually win the other GT's.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    M.R.M. wrote:
    So stupid Geraint isn't riding for the win. If you want leader status at the Tour, maybe it doesn't hurt to actually win the other GT's.

Said it many times. Ineos/Sky ONLY bothered about the tour. ALL other racing is training or license considerations. And yes, they've had some podiums blah, blah, yawn.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    meursault wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Said it many times. Ineos/Sky ONLY bothered about the tour. ALL other racing is training or license considerations. And yes, they've had some podiums blah, blah, yawn.

It looks like all this time its been froome that's the ruthless winning machine, not the team.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    M.R.M. wrote:

Maybe it wasn't his choice?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    gsk82 wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

It looks like all this time its been froome that's the ruthless winning machine, not the team.

Strange thing to say when they've put three other riders into yellow in Paris and have won countless stage races with other riders.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    meursault wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

In Sky's lifetime only three teams have won two GTs in a single season. Sky twice and Liquigas.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Pross wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Maybe it wasn't his choice?
    Certainly possible.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    gsk82 wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Strange thing to say when they've put three other riders into yellow in Paris and have won countless stage races with other riders.

They've looked pretty dominant in 6 of their 7 tour victories. There was someone missing from the other victory though. Ther one in which the team looked very shakey.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • tommasi
    tommasi Posts: 40
    gsk82 wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Well Froome had plenty to do with 2 of those
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    gsk82 wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

I was referring to entering other GT's. They'll enter but they are not bothered.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • RichN95.
    meursault wrote:
    I was referring to entering other GT's. They'll enter but they are not bothered.
    They've won three times, been second four times, won seven other jerseys and won 20 stages.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    RichN95 wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    They've won three times, been second four times, won seven other jerseys and won 20 stages.
    And in 2020 with Froome, Thomas, Carapaz, Bernal - they’ll be quadruply not bothered because three of those chumps will be riding for one leader at the Tour? I doubt it...
    I know it’s not pro Team based, but the Tokyo Olympic RR course could also suit a number of the Ineos riders - [but possibly not those in the Tour squad seeing as the RR is on the Saturday (25th July) after the Tour finishes (19th July)] - But I wouldn’t mind betting on Ineos targeting all 3 GTs AND an Olympic medal (for old time’s sake)...
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Geraint is looking at the Worlds TT isn’t he? I presume he’ll be doing TOB as prep.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Yeah, but other than that they haven't really been bothered.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    meursault wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Pretty good they won it so often then...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    RichN95 wrote:
    Current odds (Betway)

15/8 Roglic
    15/4 Carapaz
    3/1 Lopez
    9/1 Kruijswijk
    14/1 Valverde, Quintana
    20/1 G-Hart
    28/1 Chaves, Pogacar, Higuita, Majka, Fuglsang

Tao 20/1? I am a fan but that seems beyond optimistic .

Carapaz may find it harder as he will be marked.

Interesting line up in the GTs this year. I wouldn't like to say who will win this.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    I have some vague recollection that Quintana tends to do better in the second of two GTs back-to-back.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Quintana seemed at the tour to be more of a stage hunter. or was saving all his matches for that one big effort? sounds like he wasn't supported/ didn't quite have the form in the tour either, maybe he'll do better here.

agree on lotto Jumbo. that's a train there. could get a win, if they don't mess up roglic's tactics.
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    Geraint is looking at the Worlds TT isn’t he?
    Yes. He is capable of winning a medal in top form.

In normal circumstances he may have prioritised the Vuelta, but you don't get a Road WCh on home soil every year.
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I know it’s not pro Team based, but the Tokyo Olympic RR course could also suit a number of the Ineos riders - [but possibly not those in the Tour squad seeing as the RR is on the Saturday (25th July) after the Tour finishes (19th July)]
    Seeing as he's 'been there and done that' in the Tour but not the Olympic RR, I think he might be inclined to choose the latter. Ironically, the Vuelta will have a greater impact on the Olympic RR quota than the WCh ITT, and GB's recent fall down the nations rankings isn't doing them any favours.
  • RichN95.
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Geraint is looking at the Worlds TT isn’t he?
    Yes. He is capable of winning a medal in top form.

In normal circumstances he may have prioritised the Vuelta, but you don't get a Road WCh on home soil every year.
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I know it’s not pro Team based, but the Tokyo Olympic RR course could also suit a number of the Ineos riders - [but possibly not those in the Tour squad seeing as the RR is on the Saturday (25th July) after the Tour finishes (19th July)]
    Seeing as he's 'been there and done that' in the Tour but not the Olympic RR, I think he might be inclined to choose the latter. Ironically, the Vuelta will have a greater impact on the Olympic RR quota than the WCh ITT, and GB's recent fall down the nations rankings isn't doing them any favours.
    It looks like GB will have four riders in the Tokyo RR regardless of what happens at the Vuelta, but they need someone to do a good TT at the Worlds to get a second place for that.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Presumably Dumoulin is not fit?

Is Cavendish riding?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Presumably Dumoulin is not fit?

Done for the season after knee injury in Giro - needed surgery to remove debris.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Dont they usually send next years tour leader to the Vuelta but in a support type role to just go into the winter a little sharper than just doing training from now until March.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012