Cheap Fixie Frame

MissedTheBreak
MissedTheBreak Posts: 173
edited August 2019 in Commuting chat
Because fixies are cool I want one. But I don’t need one, and therefore cannot justify any great outlay on what will pretty much be a plaything. I have quite a few components lying around that I could probably use to build one up so would just need frameset and wheels (assuming they’re not road standard sizing). I’ve had a look for secondhand old frames but struggling to find one with horizontal drop-outs and also I don’t thing the styling would suit the other components I have that would go on it.

I’ve seen some frames on fleabay that are about £60 (Greenway) but I’m assuming they’re rubbish as I can’t find any reviews. Does anyone know of any modern style frames that would be relatively cheap but still of a decent quality?

Ta

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    A second hand Specialized Langster is a good bet for a cheap fixie, probably the most common one out there and weren't too expensive to start with. Not perfect because it has very little tyre clearance and no mudguard mounts, so limited to 23s and quite a firm ride.

I bought a complete Langster on eBay for £100 a couple of years ago. Was in a similar boat to you in that I didn't need one so just wanted something cheap to try. Needed to watch a lot of bikes before I found one in budget in a reasonable distance to pick up.

Changed lots of components once I had the bike with bits lying around and a few inexpensive purchases. Fixie components are by and large dirt cheap, and maintenance is ridiculously easy, so as long as the frames OK you can buy a dog and make it usable.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Can't you use a regular road bike frame (vertical dropout) with a eccentric hub?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/no-derailers.html#vertical

Does it have to be fixed or is single speed ok? You can also use a chain tensioner with vertical dropouts for a single-speed, but not for a fixie.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Could get an older frame from 80s or early 90s Peugeot or something like that. They usually have horizonal drop outs and pretty tatty / cheap for a plaything.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Could get an older frame from 80s or early 90s Peugeot or something like that. They usually have horizontal drop outs and pretty tatty / cheap for a plaything.

The hipster community seem to think old Peugeots are decent; no idea why, the cheap ones were made of gas pipe, same as all cheapies in that era!
    Better bet would be an old Raleigh or similar, horizontal drop outs, chuck on some cheap components and off you go.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Or you could buy my Giant Omnium that comes with a pair of propel SL forks and TRP front brake for road use... just needs a lever of your choosing as I thought I’d try it with TT bars/lever for a fixie TT (which was scary)
  • Oh yeah, that Cinelli frame is sweet!

I’ve started converting an old road frame for a singlespeed so as and when I find a suitable frame I can swap over components and just ditch the tensioner.
  • mrkev83
    mrkev83 Posts: 184
    Oh dear. This post just got me looking on eBay at frames again for a fixie build....like you....purely because I must have one
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/mrkev83

Built for comfort... Not for speed
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have a 56cm Dolan track bike I should really sell
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Hmmm it might be 54
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Could get an older frame from 80s or early 90s Peugeot or something like that. They usually have horizontal drop outs and pretty tatty / cheap for a plaything.

The hipster community seem to think old Peugeots are decent; no idea why, the cheap ones were made of gas pipe, same as all cheapies in that era!
    Better bet would be an old Raleigh or similar, horizontal drop outs, chuck on some cheap components and off you go.

It's for a fixie plaything. I wouldn't care if the frame is made of gas pipe, pvc or even bamboo... In fact Raleigh and Peugeot came out of the same factory at one point so...

I dare say Mango?

• I’ve seen some frames on fleabay that are about £60 (Greenway) but I’m assuming they’re rubbish as I can’t find any reviews. Does anyone know of any modern style frames that would be relatively cheap but still of a decent quality?

Ta

I have no idea of the spec of the Greenway frame but many of the modern budget Chinese steel frames are using a high carbon steel which was difficult to weld in the past and improved techniques allow it now. This sits between standard high tensile steel and chromoly steel in quality. So still not as nice as a double butted chromoly frame but likely lighter and better than a old retro budget steel frame. They are often considerably lighter than the old budget steel frames. I wouldn't assume the Greenway frame is bad. Maybe less prestigious with no heritage but likely a better frame than many old steel low end bikes.

I remember lifting a old 3 speed sturmey archer bike with horizontal dropouts, admittedly it had a fully encased chain and no attempt at light components, thick tyres and steel wheel rims but it felt like 25kg, I'm not joking, it was at least over 20kg I would of thought. From the eighties, I think. I can't imagine that frame being as good as the Greenway's.

I guess the Greenway frame would likely be the same as those found on many budget fixed gear bikes like the Jamis Beatnik. Which stock are about 11kg but I've heard of people building a fixed gear bike around such a frame and achieving a sub 10kg weight with the right components. Can't imagine an older retro budget steel frame achieving that I could imagine an extra 1 or 2kg on top. Fuji-ta the world's biggest bicycle manufacturer (yes bigger than Giant) take great pride in their robot welded steel frames which they claim can be weight competitive with aluminium and offer a longer lifespan and are sold at a much more competitive price however those are likely high carbon steel frames and it is unknown what the Greenway frame is.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I’ve seen some frames on fleabay that are about £60 (Greenway) but I’m assuming they’re rubbish as I can’t find any reviews. Does anyone know of any modern style frames that would be relatively cheap but still of a decent quality?

The advantage of a modern welded frame is you can see the quality of the joins.
    On old lugged frames, you never knew if it had been mitred* correctly. I recall Bicycle magazine cutting open a cheap lugged frame in the early '80s...not good.

*Google it!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I have no idea of quality (although can guess given the price) but these look good value/good fun Goku Cycles.

I saw one on my commute home last night
    FCN = 4
  • elbowloh
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I have no idea of quality (although can guess given the price) but these look good value/good fun Goku Cycles.

I saw one on my commute home last night
    I pass Goku in Tooting each way on my commute and see a few of them along the way.

They certainly look quite funky.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    elbowloh wrote:

I pass Goku in Tooting each way on my commute ...

They certainly look quite funky.

I too pass Goku each way on my commute but had never made the connection #facepalm

Funkadelic indeed.
    FCN = 4
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Hope they are better at building bikes than websites

This from their home page: "Your gardening project is in good hands with us. Our services cover all project phases from planning to maintenance"

:D
  • elbowloh
    keef66 wrote:
    Hope they are better at building bikes than websites

This from their home page: "Your gardening project is in good hands with us. Our services cover all project phases from planning to maintenance"

:D
    It's obviously the same company that won the Brexit ferry tender.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Free pizza if delivered late??
  • I've been after a ss/fixed for a while, nothing decent on ebay apart from a ludicrously overpriced Kona. Buying a frame, wheels and running gear soon mounts up so started looking at cheap complete bikes including the Mango but settled on a Pinnacle Monzonite from Evans. For £350 I wasn't expecting a lot but it's actually pretty sound.

Update - now £295!