Best budget headphones sub £50 running/cycling

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all
So looks like I've acquired a half marathon spot in around six weeks time, mostly a cyclist but luckily recently got into running a bit more...

As be doing more running training (I don't often wear headphones when cycling as more in tune with nature, whereas jogging I find muscle c more motivating) I'm after some replacement Bluetooth headphones, any recommendations?

The last pair were £15 ish off Amazon, in ear buds with cable, one of them has stopped working wire issue. I found these often dropped out whilst exercising, so now looking at ones with ear loops too or maybe bone conducting/ over ear rather than just n ear. Also as cable had remote on one side the cable used to weigh down n get stuck on one side and make the other one drop out too..

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphones-Blu ... 7497&psc=1
    These have been spot on for me for use on the turbo. Great battery life and seemingly fairly sweat proof.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/bnx-60-bluetooth-wireless-active-noise-cancelling-headphones-with-aptx-p9163

I bought these recently as I have a few flights to make this year, and wanted noise cancelling. A bit more than your budget, but work very well, with good sound quality. What hi-fi or similar best budget NC cans. Wouldn't work for cycling obv.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    You can go true wireless for that budget easily (aka TWS). I've got these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Earp ... ay&sr=8-11

Which I'm pretty pleased with. Xiaomi are not some no brand name, they are one of the top 5 smartphone manufacturers in the world and make a massive range of (usually excellent quality) stuff. You can get them much cheaper on the Chinese sites too e.g. Gearbest, Banggood if you're prepared to deal with the wait. The Chinese sites also have a touch control model branded Haylou - its a different Xiaomi subsidiary and basically the same but with touch controls.

TWS are in some respects a game changer, because all your cable tugging at the side woes when running or moving just disappear completely. They might not have loops but there is nothing pulling at them so they aren't going to come out.

The biggest problem with TWS buds is they don't have the battery life of those with a cable - they will quote something like 10 hours but that's for the box, and you have to put in the box to charge after a few hours. But should be plenty for a half marathon and any turbo sessions you do. Another problem is they aren''t great at handsfree calls because the mic is miles from your mouth, but if that's not your target use, not a major problem.
  • andyh01
    @mrb123 - yeah there the sort of time bed I've been looking at - what are they like for running, does the cable tug and make it difficult to turn head? Do the loops prevent dropping out!

@supa_davo thanks for the info. My concern with those type is even without cable tugging on them, when working out and sweating them dropping out and losing them.
    I don't need them for hands free calls but battery life is a good point, training sessions let Ngee runs say 3 hours...
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Have you checked whether headphones are permitted in the event you have entered? Often in-ear ones are not but bone-conducting ones are OK.

Slightly over-budget but you can get Aftershokz Titanium for about £60. My wife has some and really likes them, will most likely get some myself.
  • andyh01
    It's more for training motivation, just annoying listening to own breathing when running compared to cycling.. also use zombie run

I've looked at the aftershocks but think the cheaper knockoffs be fine for me
  • mrb123
    AndyH01 wrote:
    @mrb123 - yeah there the sort of time bed I've been looking at - what are they like for running, does the cable tug and make it difficult to turn head? Do the loops prevent dropping out!

@supa_davo thanks for the info. My concern with those type is even without cable tugging on them, when working out and sweating them dropping out and losing them.
    I don't need them for hands free calls but battery life is a good point, training sessions let Ngee runs say 3 hours...

Haven't tried them for running I'm afraid. No problems with out of the saddle efforts on the turbo. The ear loops definitely work for me whereas I've never got on with the earbud type.
  • andyh01
    Cool thanks anyway, I'm sure out saddle all out efforts be more than jogging. Just back after a 2 hour 14 mile run 9 min /mile.... no music
  • mrb123
    viewtopic.php?f=40121&t=13101759

This was the thread from which I was recommended the ones linked to above which I bought. A few other suggestions were made that you might like to have a look at too.
  • I recently bought JustJamz headphones for Gym Expert. The colors are vibrant and the headphones that work are good enough to get the job done. Generally the sound quality is amazing, they are very comfortable to wear and the noise cancellation and other.
  • I've been using these for the past 4/5 months in the gym and they're by far the best headphones I've ever had!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skullcandy-Met ... B01DWHPMEG