Rear wheel for turbo trainer

javidr
javidr Posts: 133
edited August 2019 in Road general
Hi

I have a trek domane and I am thinking on buying a wheel for the turbo trainer. I have recently replaced the casette and one tyre that was too worn, so I just need a cheap rear wheel.

Can anybody recommend one? My casette is 10 speed 12-30 and the tyre is 28

Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Try to get one with the same hub as the rear wheel normally on the bike (at least the same make). There can be slight differences in the location of the cassette which will throw the indexing out when you change the wheel, which can be infuriating. Beyond that, just get the cheapest one you can find.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    anythingwill do. get it from a skip, junkyard, Craig's list. Go on internet and select "price low to high" and get the cheapest one.Doesn't even have to be true or have safe braking rim.

use your current worn out tyre on it - no need to spend on clubbie turbo specific jazz

tbh, i wouldn't bother - just buy/get from a skip an old clunker, scrub it clean, strip everything you don't need off it and leave it permanently on there - no indexing worries.

#getitfromaskip
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • javidr
    Thanks. Thats my main concern, how do i know if the fly wheel would work with my cassette?

On top of that, whats the size of the wheel? Tyre is 700 for sure, but what about the wheel? I thought it was 700 as well but there are some 650 wheels that make me doubt...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    JaviDR wrote:
    Thanks. Thats my main concern, how do i know if the fly wheel would work with my cassette?

On top of that, whats the size of the wheel? Tyre is 700 for sure, but what about the wheel? I thought it was 700 as well but there are some 650 wheels that make me doubt...

You just need another 700c road wheel with a 10/11sp Shimano (presumably) freewheel, that's all. Don't think the Domane was ever sold with 650c wheels, so that should not be a consideration.

Depending on how much turbo work you plan on doing, you could even just fit the turbo skewer to your existing wheel and use the bike as is...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,599
    Plan B - Get a new bling wheel to go with your new tyre and cassette.
    Use the old wheel for the turbo.
    #anyexcusetoupgrade
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • javidr
    thats the cheapest i have found... https://www.evanscycles.com/wilkinson-7 ... l-00101470

anybody has a better suggestion?