Pannier Rack Bag

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,410
edited August 2019 in Commuting general
Hi All

Looking for recommendations for a good, waterproof, durable Rack Bag for my wife's commuter. The current one has lasted about a year and the fabric is looking see-through and degraded and definitely NOT waterproof.

What do you guys and gals use?

Ta

Nick

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Altura generally. Ortlieb are good but pricey. tailfin have the gloriously desirable aero pack but we are ramping the price way up as it may involve their 'rack'
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    All the peeps I know who commute with luggage use roll-top Ortlieb panniers. Pricey but durable and waterproof. No idea about rack-top bags if that's what you mean.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Ortlieb of me. I use a front roller on the rear as it's big enough for what I carry.

Not relevant to this thread but I do alternate between a pannier and rucksac, I really can't say what I prefer.
  • Hello everyone. I had a similar problem finding a durable pannier that can handle a good amount of pounds. I looked everywhere and things kept tearing and braking so I made my own lockable and weather resistant pannier. Check them out if you are interested! Id attach an image but not sure how but you can check them out at ebikecargo.com
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Are you looking for a rack bag or the side panniers? If you want a rack bag try this:

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bike-tail-bag.html#SID=152
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Ortlieb of me. I use a front roller on the rear as it's big enough for what I carry.

Not relevant to this thread but I do alternate between a pannier and rucksac, I really can't say what I prefer.

The same for me, although I only rarely use a rucksack, as the panniers are by far my favourite.

Mine are 8 years old now, have been patched a little, had all the clips replaced, top fixings replaced but still going strong.

I also use a Carradice saddle pack but on a different bike, that doesn't have a rack.
  • gbsahne wrote:

........have been patched a little, had all the clips replaced, top fixings replaced but still going strong.

Triggers pannier! :lol:
  • keef66 wrote:
    All the peeps I know who commute with luggage use roll-top Ortlieb panniers. Pricey but durable and waterproof. No idea about rack-top bags if that's what you mean.

The roll tops Ortliebs I see all over, mostly other commuters, they have worn the rack though so will have to think about a new one at some point though they (panniers) are still fine some 10k or so later.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Hmm; I'm in the throes of being made redundant, and eyeing up a technician job at the school where my son works so I can both pocket the redundancy and not take any of my pensions early. Said job has the appeal of being both interesting and an ideal 8 mile commute on fairly quiet roads, so I may be shopping for Ortlieb stuff and become a more frequent contributor here. 12 weeks holiday a year won't go amiss either. Go nepotism!
  • On good days, I ride my bike to work, and I don't enjoy carrying my hefty bike locks plus all of my work stuff in a backpack. Roswheel pannier was the perfect solution. It simply detaches so that I can take all of my belongings to work with me, yet it remains safe on my bike while I ride. It has plenty of space to carry everything I need, and I like how durable it is.
  • I am using this Roswheel bag with the Bontrager MIK rack and it is awesome. It’s a near-perfect match of both length and width so it doesn’t look awkward.
  • brunojohn7102QikkwggD
    edited October 2021
    These Ibera IB-BA9-PAIR Bike Panniers were perfect for my trip. It has multiple compartment system. I was able to fit my clothes and toiletries in one pack, and my hammock, sleeping bag, cooking equipment, tools and rope in the other. It is made of 1680D nylon, so it is lightweight and flexible. The construction is sturdy and gives a definite triangular shape. I left my packs on the bike with heavy rainfall the first night out and everything stayed dry! I was also impressed with the rain covers- I was hesitant to go with panniers that weren't waterproof at first, but was pleasantly surprised with their effectiveness.
  • brunojohn7102QikkwggD
    edited March 2022
    The Topeak pannier rack has been a big help for me on long trips. It is easy to install and capable of holding my pannier bag, or other essentials on the road and it is lightweight at only 1.50lbs. It is made of aluminum material along with a T6 aluminum fitting bracket. The product also comes with a hollow tube measuring O/D 10.2mm for easy installation.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Just to update this - she's just bought a new eBike with rack and panniers with fitted lights and mudguards etc as her commuter beast. Very nice it is too.
    She went for the Ortlieb Back-Roller City bags. Pricy but worth it. So easy to put on and take off without the faff of velcro and straps etc. She's very happy with them.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Easy to buy spares for if you lose the bits (hooks, internal nuts etc). If you need an extra bag ebay often has them. Ive got all my ortlieb bags from there.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    I know she got a bike with panniers, so this next crap I'm going to say is for those that stumble across this forum post with questions about bags as well.

Depends on how much you want to spend.

A decent inexpensive one is made by Ibera, the reviews have been mostly positive, and they're waterproof, but I have no experience with those bags.

Banjo Brothers is another great bag, however a bit more expensive than Ibera.

Once you get into the high-end bags there isn't much difference other than a bit of price difference. I personally went with Axiom Monsoon Oceanweave 45, I've had them now for 3 years, and so far, so good. They are extremely easy to put on and take off, no Velcro, no bungee cords, no straps, easy peasy. Roll down type of bag top so water cannot get into the bag from the opening.

I would strongly recommend you buy and use rain covers even if the bag is completely waterproof as mine are, why do you scream? because instead of scraping the bag against something directly the scrap will happen to the rain cover instead, it's cheaper to replace the rain cover than the bag. My Axiom bags did not come with a rain cover, I had to buy them separately, but they were inexpensive.

You didn't say what you were going to put inside the bag, while I tested my Axiom bags twice, once with a full force water spray from a garden hose, and once in a downpouring rain storm that lasted 2 hours, what a fun ride that was! but nothing even got remotely damp inside, so I know that mine are indeed waterproof, but you could have something leak that you're carrying and it could ruin and stink the inside of the bag, so just to be on the safe side, I lined the inside of the panniers with a thick heavy duty brown trash bag that cinches shut. As another safety precaution, again this is more for something leaking inside, I put stuff that I don't want to get wet or ruined inside zip lock bags, and put items that can potentially leak inside plastic zip lock bags. Seems like all those plastic bags is a hassle, but it's more of a hassle should something leak inside your bag onto other stuff, or by chance water does get into the bag and ruin stuff, or get clothes wet that you needed to be dry, while on a road trip!

Anyway, I hope that helps someone, if not, oh well! LOL!!!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    edited June 2022
    A ziplock bag inside a heavy duty plastic bag inside a waterproof bag covered by a waterproof cover? Some on here think I am too negative. You take the crown.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.