Help, lowering stem on carbon headset with no top cap bolt?

nof4
nof4 Posts: 6
edited August 2019 in Workshop
Hi,

Just got an used carbon frame. This is kinda embarrassing, but I want to lower the handlebars but there s no top cap bolt as if it wasnt designed to have one. Ive got only the two bolts on the stem. How do I do this? :shock: Thanks a lot

Comments

• gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Sounds like you are missing one then. Have a look for a bung and you may need a spacer or two as well.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    nof4 wrote:
    Hi,

Just got an used carbon frame. This is kinda embarrassing, but I want to lower the handlebars but there s no top cap bolt as if it wasnt designed to have one. Ive got only the two bolts on the stem. How do I do this? :shock: Thanks a lot

What frame? At least one make comes to mind that doesn't have a top cap...
  • nof4
    Imposter wrote:
    nof4 wrote:
    Hi,

What frame? At least one make comes to mind that doesn't have a top cap...

It’s a time ulteam world champion. I don’t think it’s missing one, I feel like it s designed to be this way? Sorry im a noob and this is my first serious frame
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhgI_6qbBqU

Does it resemble this one??
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    have you checked with Time?

is this one of their crazy threadless ones?

#basics
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • nof4
    keef66 wrote:

Yes!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    nof4 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Yes!

So it looks like you adjust it using a couple of giant metal cocktail sticks.. No doubt supplied with the bike from new but I'm betting you didn't get them...?

Couple of small screwdrivers will probably do the same thing

So undo the pinch bolts and remove the stem, remove the spacers you want to eliminate, cut the steerer down by the same amount, reassemble, then preload the bearings by turning the adjuster with your screwdrivers.
  • keef66 wrote:
    nof4 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Yes!

So it looks like you adjust it using a couple of giant metal cocktail sticks.. No doubt supplied with the bike from new but I'm betting you didn't get them...?

Couple of small screwdrivers will probably do the same thing

So undo the pinch bolts and remove the stem, remove the spacers you want to eliminate, cut the steerer down by the same amount, reassemble, then preload the bearings by turning the adjuster with your screwdrivers.

Yes -just what Keef has said. I use a couple of 2mm allen keys in the holes to turn the pre-set adjuster on my Time VX Edge.
  • nof4
    Thanks a lot everyone, you guys are saviors