Wahoo bolt calls

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 982
edited August 2019 in Road general
Is it possible to answer phone calls on the Wahoo Element Bolt?
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    No. It has no microphone and the speaker can only do little beeps. It will alert you when you get a call on a paired phone though.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    No (as above) but you can reject a call.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • As said can't answer calls but you can dismiss them. It shows who the caller is though which is handy, and also displays full text messages which again is handy for me.
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 982
    Thanks guys, how can I get the Bolt to show who is calling?
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • Bikeit65 wrote:

This explains it:
    https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en- ... my-ELEMNT-

I have Android phone so get calls and texts shown. Seems like with IoS you also get emails shown.
  • Mine seems to need the Elemnt app open and running on my phone to get notifications, I don't get anything if its not open.
  • Mine seems to need the Elemnt app open and running on my phone to get notifications, I don't get anything if its not open.

Yes you do need phone with you and app open as you say. It doesn't work if you leave phone at home! :D
  • figbat
    I don’t have the app open but I do open the app, let it connect to the Bolt then I can close the app but all functionality remains active. I have to do this too if I want it to send an activity alert to my wife.
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Would be good if it showed something for new WhatsApp messages :)
  • david7m wrote:

Agreed, however lots of devices, not just cycle GPS's cannot do this.

I'm sure someone will be along soon who can properly explain why this is. But I suspect it's a major security problem, due to the amount of control over your phone you'd have to give to the third party device (Wahoo).
  • david7m wrote:

I'm sure someone will be along soon who can properly explain why this is. But I suspect it's a major security problem, due to the amount of control over your phone you'd have to give to the third party device (Wahoo).

Isn't WhatsApp messanger doubled-ended encrypted so you wouldn't see what content is anyway? Maybe could be done to get notification of new message, just not content. Dunno, not an IT boffin but sure someone here is....
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Would be another distraction anyway, so probably best it doesnt.
    I pair phone to Bolt, phone to silent, phone in back pocket and off I go - no one texts or calls these days :lol:
  • david7m wrote:
    Would be another distraction anyway, so probably best it doesnt.
    I pair phone to Bolt, phone to silent, phone in back pocket and off I go - no one texts or calls these days :lol:

Horses for courses really. It really depends how you make your living. For some, if they weren't able to take calls whilst out on a ride, they'd have to stay next to a landline all day.
  • Pretty sure you don't need the Element app open to get a text notification. It just gets routed through the phone via the initial settings setup. I never have the app open. I get texts.
  • figbat
    martybsays wrote:
    Pretty sure you don't need the Element app open to get a text notification. It just gets routed through the phone via the initial settings setup. I never have the app open. I get texts.
    Same. And call notifications. However I find I get better phone/Bolt integration if I open the app and let it connect to the Bolt at the start of the ride. I'll then close the app and carry on, but this is the only way the 'send a text to a friend' option will work.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Bikeit65 wrote:

Might have to add contacts in the Element app, you do in Garmin Connect for it to show the names of callers otherwise it just displays the number.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    redvee wrote:
    Bikeit65 wrote:

Might have to add contacts in the Element app, you do in Garmin Connect for it to show the names of callers otherwise it just displays the number.

Not in the ELEMNT App.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    david7m wrote:

Android at least should allow for "Whatsapp Message from Joe Bloggs". Unlikely to get the message content though.