Derailer vs shifter

D0NKEY
D0NKEY Posts: 2
edited August 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
hi thanks for adding me to the group...I bought my son his 1st mountain bike as he has no experience with gears I decided to buy a used bike it is an older style carrera kraken.when he was out something happend and the derailer got damaged iv now found out the derailer on the bike was not the original . The one on the bike is a shimano with shimano shifters but the replacment is an sram x5. Iv Been given 2 different responses regarding mixing shifters and derailer so thought I'd ask the experts...will shimano shifters work with a sram x5 derailer or do I need to change the shifters also??? Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nope, won't work together, ever.

Sram would be the original fit, but I would go all Shimano than all SRAM on mid range.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Go for a Shimano shifter - you can probably pick one up quite cheap on eBay.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I agree with the above, sram and sram or shimano and shimano.

Mixing and matching shifters and dérailleurs is not recommended.

There are some exceptions, I have a shimano SIS front tripple derailleur that works fine with a sram 3 speed shifter, but for rear derailleur, keep it matching.