Rate The Race: Tour de France 2019

124»

Comments

• bobmcstuff wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Do you have a side business flogging '89 Tour highlights or something Iain?

If only.

I just wanted to get a feel for how people who rated this years TdF very highly rated it. I say 89 was 2 points better than this year.
    You're sure there's not an element of rose tinted glasses there...

Totally. It's been said here before. Back in 89, you'd get half and hour of highlights each day and then an hour on Sunday. Compare that to what we have now.

Still think 89 was the best, definite A*!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Agree re the anticipation. The Pinot factor made the race (Alaphilippe was only an inconvenience in the GC). Once Pinot was out then it was two against one, Ineos V Kruijswijk, which didn't look like it was ever going to have any other outcome than an Ineos win.

As for '89, I just remember being disappointed as a Fignon fan. I hadn't warmed to Lemond at all at that point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

Totally. It's been said here before. Back in 89, you'd get half and hour of highlights each day and then an hour on Sunday. Compare that to what we have now.

Wasn't it on Eurosport? I can't remember when I started to watch it on Eurosport it is a bit of a blur. It was also on the French channels if you were in France.

Essentially, it is too long ago.
  • TheBigBean wrote:

Wasn't it on Eurosport? I can't remember when I started to watch it on Eurosport it is a bit of a blur. It was also on the French channels if you were in France.

You might be right. Quick check says Eurosport started in 89, so it might have been on there. I just remember the highlights shows on Channel 4. Quite different from what we have today.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

You might be right. Quick check says Eurosport started in 89, so it might have been on there. I just remember the highlights shows on Channel 4. Quite different from what we have today.

I have a distant memory of being really annoyed at only being able to watch the highlights (due to family visiting) of Chiappucci's win in Sestriere in 1991, so it was definitely on then. And there's no doubt that that was excellent stage even by Iain's measurement system.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    I have a distant memory of being really annoyed at only being able to watch the highlights (due to family visiting) of Chiappucci's win in Sestriere in 1991, so it was definitely on then. And there's no doubt that that was excellent stage even by Iain's measurement system.

That was in 92. It was an excellent stage, but I don't think that TdF would get a high score from the panel on here, it was also the year Indurain won the Luxembourg TT by 3 minutes!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

That was in 92. It was an excellent stage, but I don't think that TdF would get a high score from the panel on here, it was also the year Indurain won the Luxembourg TT by 3 minutes!

Yes bonkers. Put 4 mins into LeMond.

Stage 9: Monday, July 13, Luxembourg 65 km Individual Time Trial

1. Miguel Indurain: 1hr 19min 31sec
    2. Armand De Las Cuevas @ 3min
    3. Gianni Bugno @ 3min 41sec
    4. Zenon Jaskula @ 3min 47sec
    5. Greg LeMond @ 4min 4sec
    6. Pascal Lino @ 4min 6sec
    7. Stephen Roche 2 4min 10sec
    8. Arturas Kasputis @ 4min 26sec
    9. Alex Zulle @ 4min 29sec
    10. Pedro Delgado @ 4min 52sec
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    I don't think people will remember this year's one in this level of detail in 30 years time.

TBH I think it will be much sooner than 30 years
  • TheBigBean wrote:

Yeah, that's what I said earlier. Like you and pretty much everyone on here, I only had Channel 4's highlights.
    Eurosport may have started in 1989, but Sky tv was a year later. So, somebody would have needed a dish pointed at Astra 1 for the German analogue channels.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

If you give it a 9, and something better comes along then you still can't award that a 10 through fear that something even better may arrive. So you have just introduced a new upper limit of 9 instead of 10.
    I prefer to go for a 9.5 which a false 10
    So does Guardiola give it a false 9 then?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    The chances that happens again soon are remote. If they do we live in the golden age
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    TheBigBean wrote:

1992 was a turd of a race. One minor Pyrenean stage, and two stages in the high Alps. The stage to Sestriere was relatively exciting, but only really after Indurain blew up and Chiappucci held on to take the stage. The next day's stage to Alpe d'Huez was a total non event for the GC.
  • TheBigBean
    andyp wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

1992 was a turd of a race. One minor Pyrenean stage, and two stages in the high Alps. The stage to Sestriere was relatively exciting, but only really after Indurain blew up and Chiappucci held on to take the stage. The next day's stage to Alpe d'Huez was a total non event for the GC.

I'm not sure that any of Indurain's wins have gone down as classics.
  • mididoctors
    TheBigBean wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I'm not sure that any of Indurain's wins have gone down as classics.

95 was the best indurain tour . Jaja Vs Mr 60 % for the podium . Mende ...all that. Marred by a death . Casarteli. (Sp?)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Stage into Liege was good. Day before the TT, Indurain taking 50 seconds out of everyone on a road stage! Just a shame Bruyneel had to sit on and then take the stage win.
  • mididoctors
    Stage into Liege was good. Day before the TT, Indurain taking 50 seconds out of everyone on a road stage! Just a shame Bruyneel had to sit on and then take the stage win.
    Yeah that was a good stage unexpected move. Bruyneel had the excuse to come over for the time bonus to cover .... Zulle to la plagne was 95 too iirc? Or have I got that mixed up... Getting proper old :(:D
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Yes, 95 was the Zulle to La Plagne stage. Indurain won the Tour that day, which is often forgotten. He put a lot of time into everyone else that day.
  • mididoctors
    andyp wrote:
    Yes, 95 was the Zulle to La Plagne stage. Indurain won the Tour that day, which is often forgotten. He put a lot of time into everyone else that day.

Yeah indurain rode everyone off his wheel

Zulle rode himself back onto the podium after losing 7 mins due to crashes.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I gave it a 10,
    a 10 from Len,
    no really it's a 9.6357.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    1 is harsh, who gave it 1, good grief....
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RideOnTime wrote:

Someone that really, really doesn't like Alaphilippe.
  • RideOnTime wrote:

Tom Dumoulin?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    RideOnTime wrote:

Tom Dumoulin?

Iain I should think, he said it was a pretty good one this year.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Tom Dumoulin?

Iain I should think, he said it was a pretty good one this year.

It's the dastardly Casey I think. Iain gave it a 7 on Twitter.
  • I was the one who gave it just 4. In explanation I should say I was out in France riding the route so didn't see much of the middle week, which might contribute to my negative view. But the issues I have with it were the anti climax of the Alpine stages.

The Iseran stage was so unsatisfactory that the time gained to take the yellow jersey was from a mid stage attack with the riders unaware it would be the finish.

The shortened final stage was a disappointment, especially from a GC perspective. Once Alaphilippe was dropped everyone was happy with their positions so had no incentive to risk their position (and didn't have enough road to either).

The podium was made up of riders who had not won a single stage between them and did little to animate the race. It was won by an up and coming rider who got lucky because the favourites were either injured or off form having targeted other races.

After a few weeks for it to settle in, do you all still think it was a great race?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    I was the one who gave it just 4. In explanation I should say I was out in France riding the route so didn't see much of the middle week, which might contribute to my negative view. But the issues I have with it were the anti climax of the Alpine stages.

The Iseran stage was so unsatisfactory that the time gained to take the yellow jersey was from a mid stage attack with the riders unaware it would be the finish.

The shortened final stage was a disappointment, especially from a GC perspective. Once Alaphilippe was dropped everyone was happy with their positions so had no incentive to risk their position (and didn't have enough road to either).

The podium was made up of riders who had not won a single stage between them and did little to animate the race. It was won by an up and coming rider who got lucky because the favourites were either injured or off form having targeted other races.

After a few weeks for it to settle in, do you all still think it was a great race?

I scored it 5 for pretty much the same reasons, the Alpine stages were wholly unsatisfactory...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I'm sticking with my 7.