Should there be an ebike / e-MTB specific area in this forum?

LeighPing
LeighPing Posts: 5
edited August 2019 in MTB general
Should there be an ebike / e-MTB specific area in this forum? :?:

Comments

• They're flying off the shelves. Older adults can stay biking active for longer. They even assist with some disabilities. There's probably been no better time to introduce this to a bike forum. :D

https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/news/ ... -new-study
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I don't believe that it is necessary, but I would not vote against it. There are other good forums already in existence for some time now that are dedicated to eBikes. By being dedicated, they offer a wide range of advice on many different brands and advice comes from a diverse and wide range of riders from those new to "e" to those very experienced. These riders are all ebike owners (some still have clockwork bikes as well) and therefore there is a complete absence of "ebike hate".
    Here is a link to one example of a good eBike forum:

https://www.emtbforums.com/

It is global in scope, always in English, and it is the one I like the most.

This forum (Bike Radar) is an excellent source of support for clockwork bikes and their riders. I have used it, and others before, for years with great success. I keep coming back to this Forum, despite having sold my last clockwork bike earlier this year, because it has a lot of expertise that is still relevant to any bike, "e" or otherwise. And it is nice to be able to answer the occasional eBike question when I can.

By all means create a new section dedicated to eBikes, but I suspect that you are too late.
  • By all means create a new section dedicated to eBikes, but I suspect that you are too late.

Or, perhaps full integration is still too early for some.. Or maybe they'll always be a different beast altogether. :) As you know Steve, I've been watching the changing attitudes on ebikes for some time now. I'm interested to see how the e-voting goes. :D
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    It'll just make this place quieter, I'd just add 'e-bike discussion welcome' in the blurb under 'MTB General' and leave it at that. They are just bikes, the more discussion in here the better.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, far more is common about an e-MTB than is different, brakes bars, pedals, cassettes, wheels, tyres, mech, shifter etc. So having info spread across more forum on the same topic makes no sense.

Maybe a separate forum on the e-drive bit ONLY?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Rookie wrote:
    No, far more is common about an e-MTB than is different, brakes bars, pedals, cassettes, wheels, tyres, mech, shifter etc. So having info spread across more forum on the same topic makes no sense.

Have you ever been on a group ride where there is a mix of emtbs and clockwork bikes?
    Those on emtbs are holding themselves back on all climbs and are prepared to ride sections that most clockwork bike riders would avoid. Meanwhile the clockwork bike riders leave behind the emtbs on the flat sections and some outpace the emtbs when descending. Provided the batteries remain charged, the emtb riders have loads of spare energy for riding. But once the battery has died, it's a different story! Mixed rides make for unhappy rides unless a lot of tolerance is shown both ways.

EMTBs are more than just a bike with a battery and motor, yes, they have lots in common (wheels, tyres, chains, bars etc), but the bits in common are different! The riding problems are different too.

Because of the above, I suspect that your idea of restricting the emtb forum to just battery and motor (plus display, controls, electrics, software and so forth) will fail if attempted. Therefore, right now having thought some more about it, I would move from neutral to anti. If you have an emtb, then you will be better supported on a dedicated emtb forum, and vice versa.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:

Have you ever been on a group ride where there is a mix of emtbs and clockwork bikes?
    Yup, just at the weekend for example (but been riding alongside eMTB for 4 years), damn near killed me at times especially when Dave used 'Ludicrous mode' (full 250W legal) although as you noted I got my own back on some fast peddly stuff where we were topping 20mph for a chunk of the time where the E was holding me up. That was 58 miles of about 40% off road, 20% gravel tracks and 40% sealed at an average of 10.5mph. Ironically Dave wouldn't ride up the steepest part of one hill to the trig point at the top due to range anxiety (no way he could get that weight of bike up there without a chunk of assist) while I added on the extra 300 yards of low gear grind.

I still think for most topics that would be asked on a forum the answer is the same between e and 'clockwork' (erm no, my legs are not powered by a wound spring), but yes, maybe specific riding techniques could be thrown in as well as drivetrain, have no idea how riding with one (or not) impacts what's a relevant split for a forum though?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The last couple of years they have really taken off as regular transport in Europe. Not just as an eMTB hobby ride but as everday use instead of a car.
  • The Rookie
    oxoman wrote:
    One last rant ebikes should be banned off Strava.
    No, but they should select the activity as ebike (which you can now do) so comparing apples with apples.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    One last rant ebikes should be banned off Strava.
    No, but they should select the activity as ebike (which you can now do) so comparing apples with apples.
    or a 250W apple with a 1000W apple. Ban them all.
  • The Rookie
    1000W bikes are already 'banned' (illegal) on practically every Strava segment anyway!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    oxoman wrote:
    Problem with the strava thing is the user has to select ebike and it never or very gets selected.

Bit of a damp squib so it seems :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    oxoman wrote:
    Yep

But there is/was some action in the Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you thread if that's any consolation.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!