Campag Zonda issues

northlad299
northlad299 Posts: 8
edited August 2019 in Workshop
Hi,

I’ve had a set of Zondas since June and all was fine until last week when I had a rear wheel puncture.

I’ve checked tyre and rim but upon closer inspection came across the wheel join. I’ve checked the tube and it’s been nicked in the join position.

Looking at the photo do you think the rim is somehow shot? I’ve changed tubes and had a quick spin only to have another puncture.

Thanks in advance :)
Link of image : https://ibb.co/PF5hKrV

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I can't see the images, mate.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Hi, the url link for image should be https://ibb.co/PF5hKrV
  • Do these wheels not need rim tape then?

Guess not as no spoke holes. Whats that bit of clear tape doing?
  • Do these wheels not need rim tape then?

Guess not as no spoke holes. Whats that bit of clear tape doing?

Apparently not.

The clear tape is on both front and rear wheel and came like that.
  • I have no experience of these wheels but would presume that the tape is there to protect the tube at the join, the bit of tape in the picture is folded over so not doing it's job and maybe this has caused the problem? Try replacing it with something fairly robust.
    Unless there's something obviously wrong with the join my guess would be it's meant to be like that? Is the front similar?
  • I have no experience of these wheels but would presume that the tape is there to protect the tube at the join, the bit of tape in the picture is folded over so not doing it's job and maybe this has caused the problem? Try replacing it with something fairly robust.
    Unless there's something obviously wrong with the join my guess would be it's meant to be like that? Is the front similar?

Cheers :)

I have cut a small piece of rim tape and stuck it over - will see how that goes.

The front wheel has a similar joint albeit much smaller. no issues with that wheel. I shall take a photo tonight and post. I'm just a little concerned that the join could fail :/
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Just put some thick rim tape over that bit that's protruding?
  • Ben6899
    I got the photo to work on my phone. I'd put some rim tape on both wheels to cover the joints.

What's the apparent sticky residue that's visible in the rim well?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76

I have cut a small piece of rim tape and stuck it over - will see how that goes.

The front wheel has a similar joint albeit much smaller. no issues with that wheel. I shall take a photo tonight and post. I'm just a little concerned that the join could fail :/

Highly unlikely it will fail, unless a gap starts opening up at the join it's not a problem. The way the rims are manufactured there will always be small differences, sure it will be fine.
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    I got the photo to work on my phone. I'd put some rim tape on both wheels to cover the joints.

What's the apparent sticky residue that's visible in the rim well?

It'll be off insulating tape I used to hold down a section of rim tape ;)

Highly unlikely it will fail, unless a gap starts opening up at the join it's not a problem. The way the rims are manufactured there will always be small differences, sure it will be fine.

That's reassuring to know :) Just wonder if there's anyone else with a pair that I could compare with. If its not an issue i'd rather use them than going through the whole caper of posting them back, waiting on returns etc :D
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ask a campag service centre what they make of that gap. It does not look right to me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,176
    It's a defect and it's not an acceptable one
    left the forum March 2023
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Ask a campag service centre what they make of that gap. It does not look right to me.
    Agreed. And if those rims are designed to be ridden without tape, don’t accept “just put rim tape on mate” as an answer. Send them back from whence they came.

They look defective to me though and I’d prob just take them back.
  • Ben6899
    It must not be showing up well on my phone - I didn't notice a gap; just a slight raised area covered with tape. Not challenging anyone else here... if there's a gap definitely demand a new pair.
    Ben

• Alejandrosdog
    Ben6899 wrote:
    It must not be showing up well on my phone - I didn't notice a gap; just a slight raised area covered with tape. Not challenging anyone else here... if there's a gap definitely demand a new pair.

Just looked again on massive screen. def looks like a gap and not a uniform one either. the right hand side as looked at on the screen appears wider.

I can see how that would cause punctures
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Is that a crack propogating on the RHS of the defect?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • gfk_velo
    gfk_velo Posts: 78
    Most of Campagnolo's closed-floor rims have a similar piece of clear tape over the join.

Looking at the image, i'd say that the tape is wrinkled over the join which is why it "looks" as if there's a wider gap one side than the other - probably, though, there won't be a gap there at all. It looks like a wrinkle in the tape that resembles a gap in the weld.

The "hoop" is circular welded at the joint, over a solid block of alloy approx 8mm wide (so 4mm of "block" either side of the seam) and then the weld is machined to follow the shape of the original extrusion on the floor of the rim and up the sidewalls to the bead. The braking surfaces are machined flat too. Usually the outer surface of the rim shows the weld to a greater or lesser degree with the decal over it.

Peel the tape off, clean up with IPA or Acetone, take an image of the actual join and send it to us at Velotech Cycling Ltd. We are the senior of the three UK Campagnolo Service Centres so should be able to tell from a look at the clean join area, whether there's anything to be concerned about. We've plenty of reference wheels available to us to check against.

You can replace the tape with Helicopter tape or similar if there's no issue.

You can email images to velotechcyclingn"at" aim.com

Hope that helps
    Graeme
    Head Tech
    Velotech Cycling Ltd
  • Alejandrosdog
    Well there you go, sense on a forum. :D
  • Well there you go, sense on a forum. :D

Yes, I feel vindicated in my opinion now and relieved for the OP that he didn't send the wheels back only to be told there was nothing untoward with them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,176

Yes, I feel vindicated in my opinion now and relieved for the OP that he didn't send the wheels back only to be told there was nothing untoward with them.

Not quite. Magnifying the picture it seems very clear it is more than just a bad weld, there is clearly a gap and the gap has caused damage in the inner tube, so it's quite clear that it's not right and I don't think the OP should make do by sticking more tape on the gap, although it might seem like the easy solution. Even if that solves the problem, it makes the wheels virtually impossible to re-sell. I wouldn't buy them and you wouldn't either
    left the forum March 2023
  • Well there you go, sense on a forum. :D

Not quite. Magnifying the picture it seems very clear it is more than just a bad weld, there is clearly a gap and the gap has caused damage in the inner tube, so it's quite clear that it's not right and I don't think the OP should make do by sticking more tape on the gap, although it might seem like the easy solution. Even if that solves the problem, it makes the wheels virtually impossible to re-sell. I wouldn't buy them and you wouldn't either

No, believe me, I do :twisted:
  • Alejandrosdog

No, believe me, I do :twisted:

But why?
  • gfk_velo wrote:
    Most of Campagnolo's closed-floor rims have a similar piece of clear tape over the join.

Looking at the image, i'd say that the tape is wrinkled over the join which is why it "looks" as if there's a wider gap one side than the other - probably, though, there won't be a gap there at all. It looks like a wrinkle in the tape that resembles a gap in the weld.

The "hoop" is circular welded at the joint, over a solid block of alloy approx 8mm wide (so 4mm of "block" either side of the seam) and then the weld is machined to follow the shape of the original extrusion on the floor of the rim and up the sidewalls to the bead. The braking surfaces are machined flat too. Usually the outer surface of the rim shows the weld to a greater or lesser degree with the decal over it.

Peel the tape off, clean up with IPA or Acetone, take an image of the actual join and send it to us at Velotech Cycling Ltd. We are the senior of the three UK Campagnolo Service Centres so should be able to tell from a look at the clean join area, whether there's anything to be concerned about. We've plenty of reference wheels available to us to check against.

You can replace the tape with Helicopter tape or similar if there's no issue.

You can email images to velotechcyclingn"at" aim.com

Hope that helps
    Graeme
    Head Tech
    Velotech Cycling Ltd

Many thanks for this insight. Much appreciated :)

Thanks to all who've helped. I have returned the wheel back to the shop who are going to deal with it via warranty :D
  • Alejandrosdog
    Wonder how the vindication’s going :)