10 days in Mallorca - Where to Stay?

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited August 2019 in Road general
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times before, but I'm struggling here!

I have to take some unexpected leave from work in mid-September, so planning a quick 10-12ish day getaway to Mallorca to get some sun and cycling. I figure Mallorca would be a good destination for both guaranteed good weather and enough different cycling routes nearby to last that long. I'd like to be cycling most days (somewhere between 100-200km) with maybe 2 or 3 rest days.

Obviously I'll have to fly into Palma and I'll be taking my own bike; just wondering whether I should spend the whole time in one place or maybe relocate halfway through (maybe to Alcudia or Pollenca on the other side of the island?) to be able to cover more terrain? Is a day trip to Menorca worthwhile for cycling?

Any help or suggestions for itineraries or what on earth I should be doing would be great as I've never been there before! Not necessarily thinking about organised tours as I'm looking to keep costs reasonably low and I don't mind cycling on my own, but open to suggestions if they're not too pricey and accommodate decent ride mileage. Thanks!

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Mallorca is small enough that you can literally go anywhere on the island from anywhere on the island, albeit sometimes you'll end up with a long days riding attempting it.

In your case, first question I would say is do you want a lot of mountain riding? If that's the case, then staying in Pollensa means you've got a much shorter ride to get there than other bases. If you don't, then you can stay wherever has the nicest hotel for your budget and just enjoy the lanes...
  • buckmulligan
    Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I love the mountains, so the more the better!

Sure you can get anywhere, but for example riding from Palma out to the lighthouse and back would be a looong day.

I'm not averse to big miles if its worth it, but was thinking for that length of stay it might be worth splitting it up over a couple of different bases to avoid covering the same ground over and over again.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Sure you can get anywhere, but for example riding from Palma out to the lighthouse and back would be a looong day.
    First piece of advice based on that is to not stay in Palma.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Port de Soller is lovely. I'd go there or Pollenca town.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Majorca bicycle map wp https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/8480903635/ ... tDbH5AKKEF
    Also, get yourself one of these. All the best cycling roads are marked on together with a few suggested routes.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    Depending on where you are you could make use of the https://mallorcacycleshuttle.co.uk/
    We've used it to take us to Valdermossa when we were staying in Can Piccafort.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Last time I went, we stayed in Lloseta. It's a small town just south of the mountains, almost midway between Palma and Pollenca. There's not much there (although it was a pleasant enough) but pretty much anywhere on the island is within reach as round trip. The train also stops there, so it's easy to get to the bigger towns on your rest days (and means you can avoid the expensive airport transfers!)
  • I’ve stayed in three different places in Majorca:
    Palma - great for routes for the western side of the island but a nightmare to cycle in and out of the city.
    Sanctuary de Lluc - lovely quiet place to stay, reasonably priced, dedicated bike storage, the only downside is that every ride back is uphill if that is a concern for you.
    Port de Pollensa - stayed at the Hotel Sis Pins, lovely hotel but went off season so Port de Pollensa was pretty much closed and a bit isolated on the eastern side of the island.
    If I went back I’d probably stay in Lluc again . . .
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • buckmulligan
    Thanks for all the replies!

Yes, staying in Palma might not be the best idea; obviously I'm flying in and out of there, so any suggestions for how to travel around with a bike box in tow and without a car?!

I'm thinking Soller might be a good base in terms of location and stuff to do/accessibility on rest days?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Thanks for all the replies!

Yes, staying in Palma might not be the best idea; obviously I'm flying in and out of there, so any suggestions for how to travel around with a bike box in tow and without a car?!

I'm thinking Soller might be a good base in terms of location and stuff to do/accessibility on rest days?

The buses have a pretty large luggage area underneath which would easily fit a bike box, well the one to Pollensa does anyway. It appears that there's nothing stopping you popping it down there:

https://www.tib.org/en/web/ctm/drets-i- ... atgers/bus

I've got the bus many times over several Mallorca holidays and always found it quick, cheap and reliable.
  • pblakeney
    Google Palma airport shuttle buses. I've used a few to Port Pollensa with no problems, and they will go to pretty much any town, definitely all the resorts.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    there is a train service that goes across majorca to North and East. Why not hire a bike? Prob not much dearer than flying with one and all the hassle therein. Some people deliver to your hotel or you can go eg Pinarello and get it there

https://www.seemallorca.com/trains
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I've been several times, staying in PP, Alcudia & Can Picafort. Of those three, PP is by far and away the best. Straight up into the mountains (with a flatish warm-up/cool-down) and the option of a Formentor bolt-on at the end of every ride.

The other 2 are just too far away from the good stuff imho. Too much of the same out-and backs every day.

If I were to go again, I'd try and stay upper-central like Bunyola or Santa Maria. I've only ever ridden through the western side of the Traumantana so would like to really explore it's roads in depth - perhaps on a gravel-capable bike.

I've never been in the Autumn, but I gather the package 'brits abroad' party scene is still very much alive and kicking in the coastal resorts around that time. So, staying central would likely save you from that. (Unless swerving through piles of vomit is your thing)
  • bradsbeard
    bradsbeard Posts: 210
    This place in Puerto Pollensa: https://hoposa.es/hotels-destinations/puerto-pollensa/hotel-apartments-hoposa-villaconcha/

Bike storage, bike shop, bike cleaning facilities, washing machines, bike box storage, kit storage I can go on! Apartments are lovely and its a short walk into Puerto Pollensa.

All the riding you want on your doorstep.

Stayed there a couple of times and will be returning.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    bradsbeard wrote:
    This place in Puerto Pollensa: https://hoposa.es/hotels-destinations/puerto-pollensa/hotel-apartments-hoposa-villaconcha/

Bike storage, bike shop, bike cleaning facilities, washing machines, bike box storage, kit storage I can go on! Apartments are lovely and its a short walk into Puerto Pollensa.

All the riding you want on your doorstep.

Stayed there a couple of times and will be returning.

looks excellent ty.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    The Col Collective series of videos on YouTube are excellent. This one is a route through the Tramuntana Mountains, basically from one end to the other - Port de Pollensa to Valdemossa. Looks a cracking day. The video is excellent, worth a watch even if you're not going to Mallorca.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fnhbNnKgjXE

Soller and Port de Soller are lovely but you will be straight into a climb in every direction - might be a problem if you fancy an easier or flatter day. I wouldn't dissuade you from staying there though, we did a couple of years ago and it was great. PdP gets my vote though. As others have said, if you're cycling for 8 or 9 days you could pretty much cover all the favourites. Sa Calobra, Puig Major, Formentor etc. Some hidden gems towards the east of the island - Betlem, Arta - not particularly difficult climbs but lovely nonetheless. There are organised rides as well, usually setting out from one of the bike shops or cafes. You won't be bored.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pblakeney
    Crescent wrote:
    The Col Collective series of videos on YouTube are excellent. This one is a route through the Tramuntana Mountains, basically from one end to the other - Port de Pollensa to Valdemossa. Looks a cracking day. The video is excellent, worth a watch even if you're not going to Mallorca.
    Want a full day out? Port Pollensa to Valdemossa via Soller and back via Bunyola and the Orient. Comes in at just under 100 miles. Adjust depending on accommodation location. Utterly superb day out with a few stops!
    Veronese68 wrote: