Who would you like to see back in the sport?

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
edited August 2019 in Pro race
Given cycling's murky past, and just because some people leave the sport there are plenty of riders, team managers, and generally "ex-procycling" types who are not longer part of the top level sport.

Whether it's Bruyneel or Riis or Hamilton or Boonen, or Tafi or Tankink or whoever, who would you like to see back involved in the sport at the top level.

I'll kick mine off with Riis, who I still maintain was and probably still is one of the most tactically interesting DSs around, and could pull strings with favours etc from behind the car with other teams as well as make his riders and teams ride in effective but interesting ways.

I'm not particularly interested in people you don't want to see back involved for whatever reason.

Comments

• I'd like to see Floyd Landis back at the top, mainly in terms of addressing doping. I know he has got a team up and running at the lower level but if road cycling really wants to make a long term change to the culture (which sadly I suspect it does not), then the only way as I see it is to welcome back those who have been completely transparent about their doping and are willing to hold professional cycling to account at all levels. Far too many vested interests still ongoing (as with all pro sports to be fair) with those willing to keep their mouths shut (or those who got caught and admitted the absolute minimum required) being given top positions as DS or Team Managers. As long as this exists I don't think there is any real chance of the sport making any meaningful changes. Would add people like Michael Rasmussen and also Christophe Bassons into this as well (not a murky past with regards Bassons, but a guy who should be welcomed back into the sport), one of those who has shown a genuine commitment to uncovering doping and could provide some new perspective and leadership in this area.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Armstrong as a hands on team owner/chief DS type - I just think it'd be interesting how that played out - if he could attract the backing of some wealthy individual who had enough cash not to give a damn about the toxic publicity. I'm assuming he's on a life ban though.

Riis is a good shout.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited August 2019
    I'd like to see Floyd Landis back at the top, mainly in terms of addressing doping. I know he has got a team up and running at the lower level but if road cycling really wants to make a long term change to the culture (which sadly I suspect it does not), then the only way as I see it is to welcome back those who have been completely transparent about their doping and are willing to hold professional cycling to account at all levels. Far too many vested interests still ongoing (as with all pro sports to be fair) with those willing to keep their mouths shut (or those who got caught and admitted the absolute minimum required) being given top positions as DS or Team Managers. As long as this exists I don't think there is any real chance of the sport making any meaningful changes. Would add people like Michael Rasmussen and also Christophe Bassons into this as well (not a murky past with regards Bassons, but a guy who should be welcomed back into the sport), one of those who has shown a genuine commitment to uncovering doping and could provide some new perspective and leadership in this area.
    Landis wrote a book about how he was innocent, hacked into UCI computers and blackmailed and intimidated a witness. He only did the 'right' thing when he ran out of wrong things to do.
    As for Rasmussen, listen to an interview he gave to the Cycling Podcast a couple of years ago. He's a sociopath. I'd rather have Armstrong back.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    As for the actual question.

A low key one - I think Scott Thwaites was 'retired' far too early. He's only 29.

The Credit Agricole team (formerly Gan, Z, Peugeot) had such a long history, it would be good if they had never gone away.

I don't know where Bobby Julich is now, but he was clearly an excellent coach.

And for the chaos, a merger between Rock Racing and Tinkoff
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited August 2019
    Riis vs Bruyneel in the cars with Larry as a pundit. Ideally each with a rider of similar ability

I'd also quite like an HTC style team back. Someone who concentrated on alternatives just made it more interesting.

I'd kinda be happy if the blatant hypocrisy around Armstrong went away though.

This would require time travel but a race where we could pit the in form - but clean - unrepentant dopers against each other to see how they really compared would be fun for a freak show. Armstrong, Flandis, Vinokurov, Rasmussen, Cunego, Piepoli and of course Signori Ricco
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Contador would be interesting.
  • Not a person, and I can't articulate why I believe this so passionately, but cycling is somehow poorer for not having Euskaltel–Euskadi in it.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Not a person, and I can't articulate why I believe this so passionately, but cycling is somehow poorer for not having Euskaltel–Euskadi in it.

Totally though ef education is not dissimilar in some ways, albeit not a basque team
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    ddraver wrote:
    This would require time travel but a race where we could pit the in form - but clean - unrepentant dopers against each other to see how they really compared would be fun for a freak show. Armstrong, Flandis, Vinokurov, Rasmussen, Cunego, Piepoli and of course Signori Ricco

Cunego??
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Philippa York
  • Armstrong.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Pantani, VDB and Jiminez for obvious reasons, and Ullrich for fear he may be joining them before long.
  • rick_chasey
    Armstrong.

In what capacity?
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:

As a DS?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    TheBigBean wrote:

Contador was working every day at the Tour for Eurosport so is not a persona non grata is he?
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Cavendish
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    RichN95 wrote:

A low key one - I think Scott Thwaites was 'retired' far too early. He's only 29.

Scott is riding for Vitus Pro Cycling at the moment, certainly not at the level that he used to be before his injury
  • Armstrong.

In what capacity?

Team owner/DS.

Would stir up the UCI and other teams somewhat. All this hypothetical so ultimately meaningless.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Armstrong.

In what capacity?

Team owner/DS.

Would stir up the UCI and other teams somewhat. All this hypothetical so ultimately meaningless.

But David Millar, no thanks.
  • RichN95.
    ShutupJens wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Scott is riding for Vitus Pro Cycling at the moment, certainly not at the level that he used to be before his injury
    I know. I wouldn't call that "the top level sport" though. I didn't realise he'd been injured. Maybe worth someone wanting to boost their classics team taking another look
  • Alejandrosdog
    id like to see the return of podium girls
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309

You didn't watch the Tour de France then?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    TheBigBean wrote:

As a DS?

Yes
  • Alejandrosdog

You didn't watch the Tour de France then?

yes very nice too. the only thing that keeps me watching the presentations however generally theyre in decline. soon to go the way of ring girls and grid girls. BRING THEM BACK
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Would have been good to have seen what Tiernan Locke could have done if his form in that Tour of Britain hadn't turned out to be a rather questionable one off.
  • Emma Pooley.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Agritubel for the team vehicles decorated with pictures of cows
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Kelme
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    julich for the coaching and Sean Yates as a DS. Riis/Bruyneel/Armstrong in some DS/owners roles. Riis and Bruyneel just knew how to get the best out of (or into?) their riders. Definitley NOT Ricco.
  • amrushton wrote:
    Riis and Bruyneel just knew how to get the best out of (or into?) their riders.

Bruyneel didn't do so well with the Schlecks.