Eating Disorders etc

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2019 in Pro race
Essential reading here from Jani B

https://www.janibrajkovic.com/post/skel ... the-closet
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    iainf72 wrote:

i wonder if cycling has more mental health issues than other sports or society in general. This is worth reading as are some of his other statements about his career, being bullied and not fitting in.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    iainf72 wrote:

i wonder if cycling has more mental health issues than other sports or society in general.

I think that's probably a bit of a stretch, though given the extreme masochism required to achieve in cycling I suppose it's possible. Plenty of cycling stars will talk about the sacrifices they made to be able to e.g. win a GT, but the sacrifices made by their domestiques aren't that much different, without the glory payout at then end. It takes quite a special mindset.

Eating disorders are common across many sports - athletics and gymnastics to name two where the problems are visible. There's a tendency to imagine that it only or mainly affects women though, which is an issue.

Other sports have their own problems - football for instance has seen a few people speaking up about anxiety and depression recently, and the lifestyle pitfalls associated with top level football are well known (dependencies on gambling, drink, drugs for instance)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    im not sure its just cycling stars, there are plenty of amateurs and mamils who try and achieve flyweights or perceived aero positions that arent natural and require ridiculous dieting.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Life has problems.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    im not sure its just cycling stars, there are plenty of amateurs and mamils who try and achieve flyweights or perceived aero positions that arent natural and require ridiculous dieting.

As the UKs current fashionable sport, cycling has attracted a lot of try hards. Its not a cycling problem, its a problem for that group of people.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Just listened to the KM0 with Fuglsang. He talked about how he's changed his race prep including his nutrition. Worrying less about weight (and starving himself) and instead eating more healthily. Is riding better as a result, not least because he's not stressing about it and constantly hungry...