Getting cycle fitness levels back

rock_bus
rock_bus Posts: 35
I’d got up to fairly decent club member riding ie comfortable at 50\60 miles at c16 mph and could do 100 mile sportive.
But gave it up to focus on running as had place in London Marathon.

Now trying to get back on bike but finding it REALLY tough - can’t do 16 at easy pace!

It’s frustrating and thinking of just giving up cycling and sticking to running.

Any tips on getting back in it or is it just case of being patient and time on the bike?

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Lots of rides, 1 hour plus mix it up, sweet spot, sprints etc and allow for recovery.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I think if you 'want' to do it, you'll be able to make yourself put the hours and variation in to get your cycling fitness back to where it was.

But if you prefer running, then maybe just stick to what you like AND are good at.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Forget about speeds and just get riding... long easy rides, shorter harder rides, solo rides, rides with groups, hills, flat etc. go off perceived effort and just build up again the way you did with marathon running. Patience, not stressing about it, and not beating yourself up with rigid ideas of what "good" or "fast" is will help.

But as above, either you enjoy riding or you don't. To my mind (and this has happened every time I've lost fitness or taken time off for whatever reason), if you are driven by wanting to get better at something then you have to enjoy the journey of rebuilding otherwise you won't find any joy in riding. Accept that you're slower than before, appreciate the chance to improve (again), and just get out and do some riding.

Yes it does take time -- no different to marathon running I guess. You wouldn't expect to stop running and then do another marathon 6 months from now at the same pace/time you did recently, right? Cycling isn't that much different especially if you don't have years and years and years of building up a base in the first place.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Rock bus wrote:

Now trying to get back on bike but finding it REALLY tough - can’t do 16 at easy pace!

I think just ride the bike as much as you can. I never give up cycling properly - even when Marathon training I'll keep my weekend rides.

It will come back - also its baking hot out. That has an effect too.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I'm the other way done cycling and trying to get into running which I found harder.
    Depending what running you're doing (club races), cycling as you may remember can build thigh muscles as well as calf's so depending on your body shape n how you feel could make you top heavy.
    I do enjoy the cross training when I've pushed on a hard 10 mile run at approx 4min/mile I can do a recovery ride on the bike as well as mix it up.
    Maybe after you've done a ride the next day go for a light jog.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Lots of cycling and don't worry about the speed for a good while, get as many base miles as possible which will most likely mean solo riding until you've got them under your belt.

As its August now I think a realistic target is next summer to be back where you were before, as much time on the bike as you can. Turbo sessions are also good.

It'll come back if you work hard and stay consistent
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    AndyH01 wrote:
    I do enjoy the cross training when I've pushed on a hard 10 mile run at approx 4min/mile I can do a recovery ride on the bike as well as mix it up.

Id stick with the running !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    AndyH01 wrote:

Haha I was thinking just that.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Dubcat wrote:
    AndyH01 wrote:

4 minutes quicker that the world record for 10 miles. Impressive stuff.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Dubcat wrote:
    AndyH01 wrote:

4 minutes quicker that the world record for 10 miles. Impressive stuff.

Indeed !
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    as someone who's name escapes me who was quite good at cycling once said, if you want to be good at cycling then ride more.

#heknewwhathewastalkingabout
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Rock bus wrote:
    I’d got up to fairly decent club member riding

so not really very good at all then?

#clubbies
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Rock bus wrote:
    I’d got up to fairly decent club member riding ie comfortable at 50\60 miles at c16 mph and could do 100 mile sportive.
    But gave it up to focus on running as had place in London Marathon.

It’s frustrating and thinking of just giving up cycling and sticking to running.

Any tips on getting back in it or is it just case of being patient and time on the bike?

do you want to get back into your cycling?
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Dubcat wrote:
    AndyH01 wrote:

Apologies, me bad was obv typo and it should read KM so10k @4 min/km -=40min total run time
  • Why not join a tri club? that way you can work both running and cycling into a routine. My Sunday ride group is actually a tri club (I can't run due to hip surgeries), but I can tell you that those guys can go hard on the bike. Many have done full Ironmans.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    AndyH01 wrote:
    Dubcat wrote:
    AndyH01 wrote:

Apologies, me bad was obv typo and it should read KM so10k @4 min/km -=40min total run time

No need to apologise! That's still really fast compared to a slowcoach like me. Good running mate :)
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    AndyH01 wrote:
    Dubcat wrote:
    AndyH01 wrote:

That's still some pace for a training run, what's your current 10k pb in an actual race?