Best area UK for recreational cycling?

Comments

• Penrith???
    Yorkshire on your doorstep, and if you avoid the towns and grockle spots there are miles and miles of empty roads, especially midweek.
    Then there is the Eden Valley. Anywhere north of Keswick and east to the Pennines is vast and empty.
    Dumfries and Galloway is but a short journey and again is full of empty roads.
    Slightly further but only an hour or so in the car and you have Northumberland and Durham.
    Houses are cheap too. Pace of life is so much slower than anywhere south of Birmingham you'll soon wonder how you could live life as you are doing at present.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Welsh borders - Monmouth/Abergavenny/Chepstow/Severn estuary. Great road/off road riding area (Velodrome/Llandow/Dean Forest/Cwmcarn/Bikepark and Afan just down the road) and comms links are pretty good..
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    keef66 wrote:
    If the family weren't rooted in East Anglia / London I'd move back to Yorkshire in a heartbeat, probably Ripon / Harrogate. The vale of York is flat but if you want hills you're within easy reach of the Dales and the N Yorks Moors. The Wolds and the East coast are accessible on a day ride.
    Leeds has all the city stuff if you really must, and the East coast main line from York gets you to London quite quickly if not cheaply...
    This. I live 15 miles from Leeds, great rail links to everywhere, Yorkshire Dales on my doorstep, oodles of almost empty roads if you know where to go- particularly week days and evenings, (relatively) affordable housing, beautiful countryside, great restaurants/ nightlife/social scene if that's your thing. What's not to like?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,673
    Shortfall wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    If the family weren't rooted in East Anglia / London I'd move back to Yorkshire in a heartbeat, probably Ripon / Harrogate. The vale of York is flat but if you want hills you're within easy reach of the Dales and the N Yorks Moors. The Wolds and the East coast are accessible on a day ride.
    Leeds has all the city stuff if you really must, and the East coast main line from York gets you to London quite quickly if not cheaply...
    This. I live 15 miles from Leeds, great rail links to everywhere, Yorkshire Dales on my doorstep, oodles of almost empty roads if you know where to go- particularly week days and evenings, (relatively) affordable housing, beautiful countryside, great restaurants/ nightlife/social scene if that's your thing. What's not to like?
    Isn't it full of gullible Leave voters?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    orraloon wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

PNAFBT (Please, not another ****ing Brexit thread).

However if that's your main concern then it's London or Scotland for you.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    My eyes, ears and heart ache for Shropshire. Under populated, great lanes, hills, pretty villages and decent coffee chops for that essential break.

To the west Wales, Cheshire to the north or Herefordshire to the south.

Defiantly not Lancashire.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Lancashire is fine...
    North of a line from Blackpool/Preston/Burnley.
    South of that you'll struggle to find quiet roads. I should know - I live there!!!
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    orraloon wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Probably. Looks like you're fvcked if that's one of your criteria then. Hope that helps.
  • Scottish lowlands. Beautiful landscape, and mostly good roads which are quieter than almost anywhere else in the UK. The rainfall average isn't too bad either.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Lancashire is fine...
    North of a line from Blackpool/Preston/Burnley.
    South of that you'll struggle to find quiet roads. I should know - I live there!!!

Yep, geographically challenged here too, about 10 miles south of Preston.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Shortfall wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Probably. Looks like you're fvcked if that's one of your criteria then. Hope that helps.
    He also needs to be a minimum safe distance from his Trouble 'n' Strife by the sound of it :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Norfolk.
    London by train in 90mins from Norwich.
    Norwich airport to Amsterdam in 50 mins (Then on to anywhere in the world)
    Flat but windy cycling (like Belgium without the Flemish)
    Still fairly cheap cost of living and we probably average around one fatal stabbing a year.

london by train in 90 mins :lol: dont believe the hype on that the that service, I dont think it has met its timetable since it was launched, and yeah room enough for 6 bikes only with reservations...

out and around the broads its nice enough, flat not much traffic enough roads to get lost on and pubs to find if you know where to go looking, but no signs to anywhere on most roads you navigate by the direction of the sun, and this is genuinely true they took all the signs out during WW2 in a Dads Army style home guard thing, and have never put them back, plus as the nationals found, theres no mobile data signal up there, so go prepared with paper maps else youll get stuck.

and near the coast its permanent head wind, plus far more cars on that coastal road that are half tourists, half locals, none of them give you any space.

best area in the Uk for cycling? not for me
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Was in the Norwich area earlier this 'summer' and thought the driving on the very narrow twisty roads they have was appalling. A lot of new builds going up so traffic will get worse. True about mobiles too - our friend who recently moved there complains about how bad it is and has to use something called a 'land line'.
  • Slowmart wrote:

Yep, geographically challenged here too, about 10 miles south of Preston.

Whereabouts? Chorley? Leyland?
    West Lancs plain is fine but you have to stay west of Preston/Chorley/Ormskirk and north of Kirkby/Skem.
    Makes things a bit repetitive if you want to avoid traffic. But there's a good caff in Croston.

Don't think it would suit OP.
  • awavey wrote:
    Norfolk.
    London by train in 90mins from Norwich.
    Norwich airport to Amsterdam in 50 mins (Then on to anywhere in the world)
    Flat but windy cycling (like Belgium without the Flemish)
    Still fairly cheap cost of living and we probably average around one fatal stabbing a year.

london by train in 90 mins :lol: dont believe the hype on that the that service, I dont think it has met its timetable since it was launched, and yeah room enough for 6 bikes only with reservations...

out and around the broads its nice enough, flat not much traffic enough roads to get lost on and pubs to find if you know where to go looking, but no signs to anywhere on most roads you navigate by the direction of the sun, and this is genuinely true they took all the signs out during WW2 in a Dads Army style home guard thing, and have never put them back, plus as the nationals found, theres no mobile data signal up there, so go prepared with paper maps else youll get stuck.

and near the coast its permanent head wind, plus far more cars on that coastal road that are half tourists, half locals, none of them give you any space.

best area in the Uk for cycling? not for me

All of your complaints could be seen as a blessing by some people, navigating by the sun or angle of Satellite dishes is not a problem and getting lost is only finding new roads.

I never suggested it was the best area for cycling in the UK, I was responding to the OP asking for input on a potential relocation.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Peak District..... I live in Chesterfield and ride into the Peaks. There's loads of roads out there with beautiful scenery plenty of off-road as well. Sheffield just up the road if you need a busy town centre etc.
    I've done some glorious rides on some roads where you don't see many vehicles and when you do the traffics fairly light.
    Ideal for me as within 5 miles I'm out in the country.
    T
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Robert88 wrote:
    Dorset, obviously.

Wouldn't touch Dorset with ten foot barge pole.
    Heavily industrialised area. High crime rate. Slum housing. Poor infrastructure. Terrible NHS system. Polluted beaches and sea.
    Disregard everything the tourist board says. It's a truly awful place.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Dorset, obviously.

Heavily industrialised area. High crime rate. Slum housing. Poor infrastructure. Terrible NHS system. Polluted beaches and sea.

Now you mention it yes, I had forgotten those aspects.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    TonySJ wrote:
    Peak District..... I live in Chesterfield and ride into the Peaks. There's loads of roads out there with beautiful scenery plenty of off-road as well. Sheffield just up the road if you need a busy town centre etc.
    I've done some glorious rides on some roads where you don't see many vehicles and when you do the traffics fairly light.
    Ideal for me as within 5 miles I'm out in the country.
    T

This one
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Robert88 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Dorset, obviously.

So Fearnley Whittingstall lied to us!
  • mr_goo
    MrB123 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Dorset, obviously.

Yes. He's a complete liar. Dorset is the cesspit of England. Avoid at all costs. Nothing to be seen in the county except sewage ridden beaches, 3rd world housing, vagrants and streets controlled by Russian gangsters.

You would be far better off moving to somewhere much nicer like Jaywick.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    MrB123 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Dorset, obviously.

River Cottage is in Devon.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    rjsterry wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Dorset, obviously.

River Cottage is in Devon.

The original one was in Dorset I believe.
  • Stevo_666
    Mr Goo wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Dorset, obviously.

Yes. He's a complete liar. Dorset is the cesspit of England. Avoid at all costs. Nothing to be seen in the county except sewage ridden beaches, 3rd world housing, vagrants and streets controlled by Russian gangsters.

Goo, could it be that you dont want Orraloon in your part of the world?

On an unrelated note, I forgot to say that Kent and the SE London suburbs are complete shyte holes as well :D
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    Not long back from a week in Bridport and spent a lot of time in Dorset as a kid visiting my nan. Love Cornwall and Devon too.

I always take a bike on holiday and much as I love the South West it never strikes me as a great cycling area. The way the smaller lanes are banked up at the side kills visibility and slightly bigger roads get busy in Summer. I'm sure there are some great areas for cycling there but I wouldn't pick it out as a great region for riding.

I never see many road cyclists when I'm down there either.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mr_goo
    edited August 2019
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Dorset, obviously.

Goo, could it be that you dont want Orraloon in your part of the world?

On an unrelated note, I forgot to say that Kent and the SE London suburbs are complete shyte holes as well :D

Nothing personal against Orraloon. But when you've got villages at 25% occupation I think I want to put off as many people as possible. Plus I'm moving to Isle of Purbeck so stay away.
  • Stevo_666
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Nothing personal against Orraloon.
    Just grockles?
  • orraloon
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Nothing personal against Orraloon.
    Just grockles?
    What about proud and unashamed europhiles?
  • orraloon
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I have no idea what Kent and the far south east is like, other than being a drag on the M20 en route the tunnel and civilisation. But I was pondering about down that way for easy (well it is for now, thanks f-wit politicos) access over the waters. Last year on a hire bike pootle cafe (and beers) stop in Watou just over the Belgian border, got chatting to a couple of guys wearing Ashford Tri Club tops; day ride inc ferry to Calais, loop around and back for a 5pm crossing return. What a grand day out I thought.