Pain cave electric sockets

3legs
3legs Posts: 30
edited September 2019 in Indoor training and turbo forum
I’m having a think about making improvements to my winter pain cave, but feel a bit restricted by having only one double electric socket.

I’m in the garage, which has a fridge freezer. I’m currently running a smart turbo trainer and a fan.

The fridge has its own socket, and the fan and trainer run off an extension cable from the second socket, which is all fine.

I’d like to add a TV and PC or Apple TV into the mix, but am not sure of the best way of doing that. My concern being that I may end up overloading the two sockets. I know that having an extra double socket installed would be the best solution (could also position it for a more practical layout), but I’m being a cheapskate and trying to avoid that as an option if I can.

Am I being overly cautious?

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    3legs wrote:
    I’m having a think about making improvements to my winter pain cave, but feel a bit restricted by having only one double electric socket.

I’m in the garage, which has a fridge freezer. I’m currently running a smart turbo trainer and a fan.

The fridge has its own socket, and the fan and trainer run off an extension cable from the second socket, which is all fine.

I’d like to add a TV and PC or Apple TV into the mix, but am not sure of the best way of doing that. My concern being that I may end up overloading the two sockets. I know that having an extra double socket installed would be the best solution (could also position it for a more practical layout), but I’m being a cheapskate and trying to avoid that as an option if I can.

You’re not going to overload a 13a socket with just that stuff running. Theoretically you can run 3kw off a 13a plug, but you wouldn’t want to for any period of time. But you’re not going to get anywhere near that with the gear you want.

I run 4 vivariums, each with a 150w heater, a TV, fan, small fridge, Sky box and an iPad charger, all off one socket. But I use a good quality extension and it doesn’t even add up to 1kw so there’s no danger at all.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I am not a qualified electrician but I do have a bit of relevant knowledge and my answer is , Yes. I do not know how big your fan is but I would be happy with what you are doing. At worst case you will blow the fuse in the extension lead plug and I don't think you are anywhere near that.
  • 3legs
    3legs Posts: 30
    Thanks - I suspected that I was being overly cautious, but nice to have it confirmed.

Maybe I’ll add a vivarium into my plan :mrgreen:
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    3legs wrote:
    Thanks - I suspected that I was being overly cautious, but nice to have it confirmed.

Maybe I’ll add a vivarium into my plan :mrgreen:

I’m hoping that 4 Boa constrictors make it less likely my bikes will be stolen :lol:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    NorvernRob wrote:
    I’m hoping that 4 Boa constrictors make it less likely my bikes will be stolen :lol:

They can sit in their vivariums and watch while your bikes are nicked.. ;)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    NorvernRob wrote:
    3legs wrote:

You’re not going to overload a 13a socket with just that stuff running. Theoretically you can run 3kw off a 13a plug, but you wouldn’t want to for any period of time. But you’re not going to get anywhere near that with the gear you want.

I run 4 vivariums, each with a 150w heater, a TV, fan, small fridge, Sky box and an iPad charger, all off one socket. But I use a good quality extension and it doesn’t even add up to 1kw so there’s no danger at all.

each of ypur vivariums has a heater, tv, fan, small fridge, Sky box and iPad charger?

blimey - those snakes are spoilt.

how big is the room to fit it all in or are they miniature snake size?

#luxury
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you have easy access to the distribution board/consumer unit, you could run a separate ring circuit to your pain cave and add as many sockets as you need. Or you can simply add a radial circuit if you only want a couple of sockets. Just don't go touching the buzz board inside it when you wire things up as I never trust the main fuse!
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Double socket should be on a ring anyway, no? Unless of course is a bodge. Does it have 2 cables leading to / from?
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    I have a fish room with multiple aquariums in there. One double socket, using multi extension leads, powers several pumps, powerheads, filters, heaters, thermostats and led lighting systems. I was worried I was overloading the sockets but my brother, who's an electrician said it would be fine.

Now if you were running multiple electric heaters, kettles, irons or hair dryers for example, and they were on a lot, then that would be different altogether.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,007
    orraloon wrote:
    Double socket should be on a ring anyway, no? Unless of course is a bodge. Does it have 2 cables leading to / from?

If that's the case then just extend/expand the ring. There are rules that govern how many sockets can be in a room of a specific size but I'm not sure what they are. I doubt adding a double would cause any issues though.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I don't think a double socket has to be on a ring main, I believe it is acceptable to have it on a radial circuit (just one cable). Current is found by dividing the total power by the voltage. Each device should have a max power rating on it so if you add them up and divide the total by 240 you should get a figure for the current. As above, a 13A plug should be good for 3kW or so. The only point I would add is that if your extension is on a roll/drum then make sure it is fully unwound to prevent it overheating. These type of extensions often have a maximum power rating on them for wound and unwound operation.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"