You tube cycling vlogs!

2»

Comments

• In fairness to Ed (as a fellow Welshman), I think he's still honing his vlogging skills. He can waffle a bit but maybe that's just his personality and I'd like to see him gain followers. He's also still relatively young and hopefully he'll get on another team too. I think Jasper is cool as I like the race stuff 'What's up ... Cycling fannattiicccs : )'. Cycling Cam is decent and straight up. I can see why some wouldn't like it but like how he's also doing the Grupetto podcast and I do find Chris Pritchard amusing !
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I tend to find most of them pretty nauseating after a couple of minutes.

At least Ed seems a genuinely likeable character; I have watched a few of his.
  • No mention of Dustin Klein above, as far as I can see, but I’ve been watching all of his stuff lately and it’s really well done. Based in Portland, Oregon, with weather that sometimes makes the UK look tropical and some big rides. This one in particular makes me feel like heading out in whatever the weather. https://youtu.be/0v2HlXpoyQw
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Woah, there are some pretty serious accusations about DurianRider on a website set up specifically about him, if you Google his name.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    cld531c wrote:
    djrikki wrote:
    Personally I enjoy Katie Kookaburra's YouTube channel and also Adam Watkins - both cover audax rides, Adam even more so, but Katie's loves to cover everything cycle-wise having recently down Deloitte across Britain - that was fun to watch.

There isn't many cycling vlogs out there it seems, especially not for my passion which is randonneuring and audax - both of them inspired me to give it a shot myself.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Sn5B ... MJtQ4jVqsw

Went off KK when she said she had a FTP of 4.1w/kg and a higher power output than Juliet Elliott's FTP video. I smell bull***t.

i dont even know what that means (last sentence)! She is certainly enthusiastic and is prepared to detail her fails as well as successes. If she inspires more people to ride that's good. In the end these are just people on the internet with their views - you dont have to watch them. I enjoy the Col Collective ones or is that more of a travelogue?
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    amrushton wrote:
    cld531c wrote:
    djrikki wrote:
    Personally I enjoy Katie Kookaburra's YouTube channel and also Adam Watkins - both cover audax rides, Adam even more so, but Katie's loves to cover everything cycle-wise having recently down Deloitte across Britain - that was fun to watch.

There isn't many cycling vlogs out there it seems, especially not for my passion which is randonneuring and audax - both of them inspired me to give it a shot myself.

Went off KK when she said she had a FTP of 4.1w/kg and a higher power output than Juliet Elliott's FTP video. I smell bull***t.

i dont even know what that means (last sentence)! She is certainly enthusiastic and is prepared to detail her fails as well as successes. If she inspires more people to ride that's good. In the end these are just people on the internet with their views - you dont have to watch them. I enjoy the Col Collective ones or is that more of a travelogue?

Watch the 'New FTP!' video. Never heard of Col Collective, will give them a try. Are you her new PR person or just a fan? I notice you linked her video on another thread....
  • amrushton
    cld531c wrote:
    amrushton wrote:
    cld531c wrote:
    djrikki wrote:

Watch the 'New FTP!' video. Never heard of Col Collective, will give them a try. Are you her new PR person or just a fan? I notice you linked her video on another thread....

Someone asked a question re womens saddles - so might as well get a woman to do the answering. The Col Collectives are utter mountain fest with the addition of some nice kit (he is sponsored by Mavic
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Woah, there are some pretty serious accusations about DurianRider on a website set up specifically about him, if you Google his name.

Wow! Just had a look at that. Madness!

Francis Cade
    Shane Miller
    Oz Cycle

Brilliant cinematography and general film making
    Indoor training guru
    Workshop and home mechanic help and tips
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Just recently started watching Vegan Cyclist - he is excellent. Funny, self deprecating and a damn good cyclist. Durainrider is a total spanner to be avoided at all costs.

Linky https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpn6aF ... A/featured

Note - I'm not a vegan, not even a vegetarian but his videos are ace.
  • brandy234
    brandy234 Posts: 8
    Bumo_b wrote:
    I quite enjoy Chris Miller Cycling (aussie) although took a bit of getting use to, Phil Gaimon and Francis Cade. Found GCN gets a bit samey after a while.
    Durianrider, total nut job!

Agree with these.

Chris Miller's vlog is really interesting as it goes through the running of a cycle team which has gone from club racing to the Australian national series and even just won a couple of stages at the Tour de Filipinas. He has a lot of life and family stuff in there but also some gear reviews, race tactics, training, coaching and a lot of behind the scenes at races. He did a video with Vegan Cyclist in California which was cool too.

I've also been watching:

Willie Smit - one of few pros doing a cool vlog. His videography skills are good.
    Cam Nicholls (Australian elite cyclist turning cycle coach) - he does a lot of training advice
    Ozcycle - He's gone a bit quiet recently but he has some great videos on cycling hacks and how-to videos (e.g. waxing chains, waterproofing gear).
    DCRainmaker - The gold standard for reviews of electronics such as power meters and GPS units.

Durianrider is intolerable.
  • amrushton
    Juliet Elliot is quite good. her off-road and criterium stuff is excellent. Kymnonstop is excellent on the criterium rides but it's all a bit California with intense bespectacled guys fretting about chains etc.
    Durianrider and his girlfriend(?) should be avoided. francis Cade has a couple of interesting vlogs but does anyone who make these vlogs work? It seems to be they ride about all day on expensive bikes at home/abroad decked out in the latest kit (nice work if you can get it)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Some bloggers make their whole living from it. Francis Cade does often mention his job with Jam Cycling, but I also think his sponsors take pretty good care of him.

Shane Millar (Miller?), I think, is an IT consultant.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    amrushton wrote:
    Juliet Elliot is quite good. her off-road and criterium stuff is excellent. Kymnonstop is excellent on the criterium rides but it's all a bit California with intense bespectacled guys fretting about chains etc.
    Durianrider and his girlfriend(?) should be avoided. francis Cade has a couple of interesting vlogs but does anyone who make these vlogs work? It seems to be they ride about all day on expensive bikes at home/abroad decked out in the latest kit (nice work if you can get it)

just watched kymnonstop @ red hook crit because of this post - actually the best i've watched of this kind of thing for ages.

don't get us wrong - still not brilliant, but far more tolerable than the rest of the rubbish that is pumped out.

#alrightisuppose
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104
    Cameron Jeffers is another to add to your list :)
  • seriishly
    seriishly Posts: 7
    edited October 2019
    These two cover cycling racing in Northern California

This one is mine and I am newer racer trying to learn and I hope it helps other new racers (feedback welcome)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYBqQx ... He4BhMYtw/

This one is from a CAT 1 Racer who is at a higher level and covers team tactics, has some interviews with his frienemies, and a few national level races
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIfRR1 ... j9X955iWSQ
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    Matt Stephens via sigma sports is worth a watch.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Spindatt -
    Unpretentious, eclectic chill out session with a guy who loves all things bike. Really well produced videos with exceptionally good music soundtracks.
  • The Cycling Tattooist and Fernwee (though the latter is Dutch).
    I find most other cycling vloggers are various levels of irritating.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I quite enjoy "The Cycling Tatooist". His riding can be a bit erratic at times but he is quite an engaging guy and it's an easy watch. He is also clearly very capable on the bike.
    Mike Cotty's Col Collective series are glorious. My preferred viewing when I'm on the turbo.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    crescent said:

I quite enjoy "The Cycling Tatooist". His riding can be a bit erratic at times but he is quite an engaging guy and it's an easy watch. He is also clearly very capable on the bike.
    Mike Cotty's Col Collective series are glorious. My preferred viewing when I'm on the turbo.

I have ridden in real life with Thomas a few times and can confirm your assessment. Very strong rider, riding in a very strong group, but you need to have your wits about you when you ride with them!

I think the real skill he has is making some fairly grotty roads around the local area look so good - the Southend tourist board should give him plenty of cash!
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Every time this thread gets resurrected reminds me how much I’d like to kick DurianRider in the balls.
    Odious character.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

Every time this thread gets resurrected reminds me how much I’d like to kick DurianRider in the balls.
    Odious character.

His girlfriend however….
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    edited September 2022
    Some of the most popular uk cycling bloggers

Francis Cade
    Katie Kookaburra
    Julie Elliot
    Lawrence Carpenter

America
    The Vegan cyclist
    Phil Gaimon

Cam Nicholls Aus and Francis Cade both have some excellent bike fit advice of their channels.

For Bikepacking/Nice scenery. Keep smiling adventures. Josh puts the miles in fuelled entirely by Ginsters.
  • seanoconn
    Oh and Get fit with Natasha. Just because.
  • That Chris Pritchard is one weird / depressed dude.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited November 2022
    I do quite like the Cades videos.

Kiera McVitty's videos are quite enjoyable as well (Ex pro Based out of Girona) though she doesn't tend to publish things that regularly - I suspect she has an actual job as well.

Never really took to KK, no idea why, her programs are watchable, but I just rarely tend to go there.

I watch the odd clipped in and free video, including the one where Puck was in attendance, but I find them a tad samey, and they often seem to have a very similar vibe.

Like Matt Stephen's cafe rides as well, some more interesting than others.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18