Wahoo TICKR strap replacement

figbat
figbat Posts: 680
edited August 2019 in Road general
Over the last couple of rides my TICKR has been giving some unreliable readings - I replaced the battery but this morning it was all over the place again. I checked the firmware of the TICKR and it is up-to-date. This leads me to the strap. I can't see anything wrong with it but I gather they can and do fail, with these sorts of symptoms.

Looking for a replacement, the official Wahoo one looks different to the original one I have and reviews of it are largely negative. I gather you can use a 'universal' type one - I wondered if anyone has any experience (good or bad) of straps that fit the TICKR?
Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    For my garmin kit and Zwift the Decathlon own strap works much better than the original
  • figbat
    Fenix wrote:
    For my garmin kit and Zwift the Decathlon own strap works much better than the original
    Oooh, good shout. Sadly it appears to be unavailable online and in every store anywhere near me.
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 - I replaced my failing Garmin strap with a much cheaper Polar one from Decathlon. The HRM press-studs match those on the belt exactly. Tons of even cheaper ebay ones too. Assuming they'd work with a Tickr...

Recently I thought the replacement strap had died but I seem to have been able to reboot the HRM itself by briefly inserting the battery back to front which shorted out the contacts. I'd seen a youTube vid of somebody doing the same with a safety pin
  • figbat
    I just discovered the TICKR 'reset' function (reverse the battery) and have done it - I'll see how it looks on the ride home later.

I've also ordered a generic strap from Amazon so will see how that goes too.
  • figbat
    Well something worked as it was all OK tonight. I had reset the TICKR and also tightened the strap and HR was as expected. One symptom before was not only an unrealistic HR (like, 120 when it should have been 160+) but it seemed to stick at a given HR - the HR trace on Strava was a series of flat lines which jumped up and down. Tonight I got the usual lumpy line of continuously changing data. Let’s see how long it lasts.