Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    itboffin wrote:
    5800 52/36T chainrings because I need more help with my top end speed on club rides and just can't spin. 80 rpm seems to be my limit out on the road

You need to stare at your stem more while shaking your head from side to side. :wink::lol:

I just can't do it, on the turbo i can just about ride at 100 rpm for 45 mins but once out on the road i'm 80 rpm 100% of the time, its what feels comfortable for me.

I did manage a few months ago to do a 3 miles on/off ride pushing 95 rpm for 3 miles then recover for 3 and so on, its still one of the fastest solo rides i've ever done, i'm too lazy to keep working at it hence the new gears :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I'm totally the opposite: 90-95 rpm, with 80 and under feeling positively grindy. Makes the 52-36 I ride while on the basque country a pain in the ass, with my paltry ~3 W/kg. The numbers are not comforting: I'd pretty much need 4 W/kg to ride as comfortably as on 50-34 w/ 11-32 cassette on those hills. Rule 5, I guess?
  • itboffin
    I can do 3w/kg but it's a bloody effort yet despite my weight I can ride up hills pretty well when I can be arsed, I know mechanically 95 is where cadence should be but pah it's too tiring
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    As posted on the "bargains" thread: https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/giro-men ... mbit%20LTD
    ...Giro e70 Empire knit shoes in 43 and 44 as unsure of sizing (am 42.6 or 43 in Mavic). Last time I bought from Cycle Surgery I'm sure I was able to return items through my local Cotswold Outdoors. Hope still the case as more convenient than posting a return...also got 4.2% through TCB
    giro-empire-e70-knit-road-cycling-shoes-side.jpg
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    cheap kit from that Aliexpress store finally turned up and they look okay, fit is bigger than advertised. The material looks good quality but the construction cut & fit is not quite there, still a lot better than anything i've seen from Planet X or general low end cycling kit from the supermarkets, i'll try a turbo session tomorrow in them and see how they perform.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Daniel B wrote:
    ... bought yet another jersey / bibs / gilet / socks ...
    Just curious, are you aware that you can actually wash and re-use items of clothing?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Daniel B wrote:
    ... bought yet another jersey / bibs / gilet / socks ...
    Just curious, are you aware that you can actually wash and re-use items of clothing?

:lol: oh I do, AND I use Halo sports wash, as recommended on here many moons ago, and a fine job it does too.

I've just sold a raft of stuff over the last few months, some for a loss, some for a profit, and some break even, so am refining the warbrobe if you will.
    Pads do wear out, so bib shorts are in a fashion a consumable, plus I will be ramping up the mileage as from next spring will be commuting on average 100 miles per week, so some purchases have been with that in mind.

I'm also much mor sure of the fit i need than I used to be, so for example I am sending back 3 gilets that I ordered, two from Rapha in different sizes and one from Prendas that is above, as the fit is not quite perfect, or the overlap with existing kit is too much.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Luv2ride wrote:
    As posted on the "bargains" thread: https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/giro-men ... mbit%20LTD
    ...Giro e70 Empire knit shoes in 43 and 44 as unsure of sizing (am 42.6 or 43 in Mavic). Last time I bought from Cycle Surgery I'm sure I was able to return items through my local Cotswold Outdoors. Hope still the case as more convenient than posting a return...also got 4.2% through TCB

They look lovely, but I've not gotten my head around going back to laces - I'm a big fan of Boa now personally, especially those with 2 dials per shoe.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531

I don't need these. I have 3 pairs of road shoes, including some shiny blue empires.

But I *need* them
  • luv2ride
    ^yeah, been looking at these Empire Knit Giro's for ages so for just less than £95 I could resist no longer. They apparently come with a choice of laces, and at least one review i read said keep the flouro laces for dry summer as otherwise theyre difficult to keep clean.
    In other kind-of-bike-related purchases, a 600ml Ti pot and and long handled Ti spork for bikepacking from Planet X for only £20 all in. Arrived today seem good quality...
    CPJOBTM6-P1.jpg
    Only 100g and small gas canister does nestle inside (wasn't sure it would from the dimensions in the site description). Decent alternative to the Alpkit Myti 650ml pot at half the price...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Apparently my braking track "isn't supposed to be that shape", so bought some Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels at short notice.
  • luv2ride
    edited August 2019
    Daniel B wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:

They look lovely, but I've not gotten my head around going back to laces - I'm a big fan of Boa now personally, especially those with 2 dials per shoe.

Arrived today, 43's are a nice fit. Colourway is quite "shouty" but the grey knit does look nice. Might think twice about using them in this grotty weather, but defo taking them to Mallorca in Sept :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just bought a fork crown mount for my summer bike / B&M front light. £12 but Ebay produced a voucher giving me a fiver off!
    I've had one for ages on the winter bike where it sees most use, but used the bar mount for occasional use on the summer bike. Trouble is I have older style 5600 shifters with their attendant flying gear cables. I'd put up with the shadows they cause in the beam pattern, but when I tarted the bike up and fitted white outers, the glare from the cable in front of the light on full beam is really off-putting. I'm actually dazzling myself. Hopefully this will sort it.
  • luv2ride
    11749420-9054592611252572.jpg
    From PBK. Less than £35 with 8% cashback (TCB) and another 10% with SALE10. Got the long sleeve thermoactive version and like it, so a short sleeve summer weight version should be good, plus I do like the longer short sleeve cut this has..
  • itboffin
    sometimes i forget that in normal UK clothing i'm actually a medium and even a small, in the USA i've struggled to find t-shirts that dont look like a dress
  • itboffin wrote:
    sometimes i forget that in normal UK clothing i'm actually a medium and even a small, in the USA i've struggled to find t-shirts that dont look like a dress
    I work for an international company. Occasionally other groups want to send us their merch. Always ask where they’re based when they ask sizes: India? XL. UK/Israel? Large; US? Small/Medium.

Italian cycling gear? How many Xs would Sir like with his L today?
  • itboffin
    My next order from Aliexpress arrived today and i have to say fit wise and looks great, even the skinsuit
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Technically not bike gear but some velcro dots to hold the helmet pads place, with only two small pieces of velcro currently the pads are folding over.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • luv2ride
    Rapha lightweight glasses, white frame bronze lens for me - £45 plus delivery
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Rapha lightweight glasses, white frame bronze lens for me - £45 plus delivery

Same since you lot keep banging on about the lenses!
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Supersix Evo Dura Ace in Volt Green!!!
    https://m.startfitness.co.uk/cannondale ... gIC1PD_BwE
  • daniel_b
    BMXboy10 wrote:

Stunning.

Stunning bargain too!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Daniel B wrote:
    BMXboy10 wrote:

Stunning.

Stunning bargain too!
    Thought you might like it lol
  • drhaggis
    That's the bloody best colour for a Supersix. And I'm not DanielB.
  • drhaggis
    Shouldn't have visited the bargains thread. Just placed an order for a Gabba 3, ceramic blue, M, for £62.10. Ridiculously cheap, considering the pound or the quality of the kit.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    A pair of cycling gloves from lidl. Thicker than I'd hoped they'd be, but not too thick - probably mid novemeber level of insulation, rather than lightweight windproof full finger gloves I was hoping for, but hey.

The heated seat looked, well,............ umm, "interesting". Didn't stop 4 being bought while I was looking through the gloves trying to find my size.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Set of marathon winter studs and tool from the bay of fleas.
    Apparently I've lost 15 studs in the rear tyre alone....
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Autumn stuff. Perfetto light ss jersey. Omloop shorts. LW bib tights. Knee warmers. All at considerable discount to RRP as its "AW18" stock.
  • Used Canyon Ultimate CF SL frameset for a gourmet winter build, along with:

105 cranks, rear mech and shifters
    Ultegra brakes & front mech

Rest to come from the parts bin in the cupboard under the stairs, to be built into a nicer bike next summer!

I should probably buy a book on how to build a bike too, but since all of the bearings are in place and in good nick I'll wing it for the first attempt.

(and Omloop shorts)
  • hopkinb wrote:
    Autumn stuff. Perfetto light ss jersey. Omloop shorts. LW bib tights. Knee warmers. All at considerable discount to RRP as its "AW18" stock.

Dare I ask where?