sungod Posts: 16,431
edited August 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

longish ride to be followed by longish bask, curry later
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, working again, swimming sauna later, I wish I had ignored the weekly weather forecast and brought my bike
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Another longish commute with more chances to get my car damaged by shite on the road being flicked up by other cars :roll:

Later is undecided as the rugrats are at the grandparents
  • Ning, sat on a camping chair, jini DHLs still asleep, mrs DHL in the shower for at least an hour. Peace and quiet before I get dragged around legoland again. At least they only sell beer in half litre glasses.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ciao

bambini snorin', sun shinin', head not too bad after celebratin'.

time to go findin' gelati.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning
    Mostly pleasant ride to work this morning on the slow bike which seems even slower than it should be.
    All quiet at the moment, surely it won't last.
  • Morning. Nice and sunny again, breezy so unsure whether it'll be a ride or a surf.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Back living the dream. :roll:
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Minor financial admin sorted, freezer needs defrosting again because of some silly pipe at the back. Engineer booked for a software update on Friday. What version of windows does a freezer run?

Doing some structural stuff today as HDcorp launches another tentacle, well more of a worm really as we're not that global...

Need to track down some Euros that aren't at ~1:1 :roll:
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, WFH this morning as I disturbed a wasp nest last night and ended up in A&E, feel like crap today but still alive which is rather handy. Left my laptop at work so I might go in after lunch
  • oooh nasty. How many stings? My leg is hurting pretty badly as some kook threw his board away yesterday paddling out just as I rode past on a wave. Whacked my leg a good 'un. Bloody painful still so can't see it being OK to ride. May try a surf if possible. Gotta do something so if that fails it'll be the weights.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    15-20 stings, I’ve never had a reaction before but then I haven't had more than two at once. I was more concerned for the dog at the time because he ran a bit then panicked and tried to hide. Had to go back and carry him so I got a couple of extra stings, useless hound. He swelled up under his eye and on his ear so I spent half an hour checking he was ok but by the time the OH got home I had a big rash and it felt like I’d swallowed a hard boiled sweet...
  • Hmmm you were lucky. 15-20 is bad but people have died from multiple stings. Glad to hear dog OK also.
  • Matthewfalle
    in the pool. stinkn' hot. may have lunch and some more gelati.

#gelati'in

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Smite all wasps! Found the starters of a nest on the garage lurking up high in the eves a while back. It was empty but whacked it with a stick anyway an got rid.
    Remember as a kid me an a mate found a huge nest in a hedge, so we decided the correct course of action was to punt a ball at it an see what happens. I got a few stings an my mate got stung in the eye. Sadly that was it for the eye he picked up some infection an lost sight in it.

Quiet day today some computer based geekery later binning off the PSU in the PSU in favour of a Pico PSU, slightly cheaper to run but does mean I can do various other geeky things. Though currently I'd quite like a nap.
  • Hmmm, I think if I came across a wasps nest I'd creep carefully away! I think wasps emit some pheromone(?) or something when killed which alerts their chums to a threat which then escalates into potentially all out stinging attack.
  • step83
    Hmmm, I think if I came across a wasps nest I'd creep carefully away! I think wasps emit some pheromone(?) or something when killed which alerts their chums to a threat which then escalates into potentially all out stinging attack.

Most insects do, for example squashing an ant releases a pheromone that tells other ants they are under attack. Even grass does it!

I know smoke calms bees, not sure on wasps an certainly dont want to try on hornets. Reminds me they really come out to play around now to.
  • homers_double
    Wasps are the animal kingdoms own version of mopeds. Small, pointless and utterly f***ing annoying.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,550
    Almost but not quite finished the shed DIY project, so the correct thing to do today was go out and get bits to start a couple of other jobs, right?

Rode bike on turbo, which is about as good as it gets lately. Had to stop and re-install back wheel correctly, was starting to wobble alarmingly. How embarrassing would it be to crash a bike on an indoor trainer?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Matthewfalle
    Almost but not quite finished the shed DIY project, so the correct thing to do today was go out and get bits to start a couple of other jobs, right?

Rode bike on turbo, which is about as good as it gets lately. Had to stop and re-install back wheel correctly, was starting to wobble alarmingly. How embarrassing would it be to crash a bike on an indoor trainer?

that happened to a mate of MFs who is in 42 Commando.

off the t/t, straight into garage wall. smashed himself up well bad.

how we laughed

#goodtimes,goodtimes

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

mf also had the plastic fan on an old t/t shatter and fling bits of razor sharpplastic into the back leggy top bit at a brazilian miles an hour.

it hurt quite a lot and he may have cried a bit.

how we laughed

#goodtimes,goodtimes

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    Just back into the office after being caught in a cloud burst, drowned rat look complete with now drowned baguette, urgh.
  • homers_double
    1:1.0808 :cry:
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,550

mf also had the plastic fan on an old t/t shatter and fling bits of razor sharpplastic into the back leggy top bit at a brazilian miles an hour.

it hurt quite a lot and he may have cried a bit.

how we laughed

#goodtimes,goodtimes
    Ouch.

I know someone who slipped off their rollers indoors watching telly, which ended rather badly - especially for the TV!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    It's a good thing there's a few spare MFs.
    I know someone who slipped off their rollers indoors watching telly, which ended rather badly - especially for the TV!
    I've have a few close shaves on rollers. They tend to get a bit slippery when they get sweat on them, and if you've set them up on a bit of a slope.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Wasps are the animal kingdoms own version of mopeds. Small, pointless and utterly f***ing annoying.
    Vespa.
  • hopkinb
    That's sunlit uplands that is, mixed with unicorns and cake that is both had and eaten.
  • hopkinb

Can you buy at that rate or have you looked up spot? Best retail rate I can see is 1.0775. Not that it makes a massive difference.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Dunno what it is with Wasps this year. I poured petrol down a wasp hole that was under an apple tree yesterday and set alight to it.
    I was fine but the remaining brethren's were a bit pi$$ed and the OH got bitten on the hand in the bathroom. Boy she wailed.

15 to 20 stings must hurt.

Happy now Hoppy? Next holiday is your choice methinks.

Having fallen off rollers on 4 occasions, I bought a T bar attachment.

Today I drove the 190 mile round trip to a soul-less retail park in inbetween land, had some nosh and coffee whilst chatting to some random office bloke from London who paid for the nosh..

Weather has been a mix of full on wiper mode to intermittent.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:

Happy now Hoppy? Next holiday is your choice methinks.

She's already talking about going back. I've said it will be the three of them if so.

She had also trailed it as being cheaper than 2 weeks in Europe...

...All the bills are in, and she underestimated how much it would cost by 100%. It was twice as much as she thought it would be. :roll:

I underestimated by 20%, probably because I have 1.4:1 as my mental exchange rate for USD:GBP.

If I had a choice, we'd all be off skiing, but that is REALLY expensive for 4. :cry:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Kill all wasps. Dead. Baxtards.

(Yesterday I was in a pub, interesting called The Land of Liberty, Peace and Plenty, on edge of Chorleywood, good pub, having a swiftie when one of the regulars emerged wielding a small tennis racket shaped insect swatter, electric zapper, 'kin 'av' it, 'kin wasps.)