orraloon wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    #notconvinced

#uptoyoumateidon'tcare
    #caringdontmatter
    #stillintrigued

One guy today wearing a thick winter coat buttoned up to the neck, as an example.
    Yebbut, you can't be a successful shoplifter wearing a boob tube and shorts innit.

Unless you are shoplifting boob tubes and shorts.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    How did those two baby Meerkats get past US immigration in these days of heightened security under the Trump.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    US films.
    They have big houses right. Even in the ghetto, the floorspace puts to shame a typical UK terrace house and by the time you're up to Mcmansion size houses, you've got a football pitch of space.

And yet they move house with a box trailer about the size of a garden shed.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    morstar wrote:
    US films.
    They have big houses right. Even in the ghetto, the floorspace puts to shame a typical UK terrace house and by the time you're up to Mcmansion size houses, you've got a football pitch of space.

And yet they move house with a box trailer about the size of a garden shed.

Houseizem21.gif

houses are big in America, land is cheap!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Cricket shirt numbers - why and how?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Cricket shirt numbers - why and how?

why jut cricket? shirt numbers generally, not needed these days
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Chris Bass wrote:

marketing, by which I mean the ability to charge fans more to have said number put on replica shirts :(
  • awavey wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

marketing, by which I mean the ability to charge fans more to have said number put on replica shirts :(

And each player randomly chooses a number?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    The numbers on shirts is so people around the ground can identify players at distance. Even someone like Boycott said it was long overdue and he's not the first person who comes to mind when you imagine advocates of change in the game.
    They did point out though that when a player wears a sleeveless sweater it covers the number up anyway.
  • awavey
    The numbers on shirts is so people around the ground can identify players at distance. Even someone like Boycott said it was long overdue and he's not the first person who comes to mind when you imagine advocates of change in the game.
    They did point out though that when a player wears a sleeveless sweater it covers the number up anyway.

I can assure you when you are sitting at a cricket ground, even if you are lucky enough to be by the boundary edge, youve got no hope of seeing these numbers on shirts of players standing by the wicket in the centre, or fielding the opposite side to you. even with binoculars youll probably struggle to pick them out, it helps broadcasters watching the game on tv because now they dont have to try too hard to remember all the players.

but the only number youll be able to read as a fan at the ground, is of the guy standing directly in front of you.

its marketing b******t to claim this remotely benefits fans, or its modernising of the game, and the whole thing that they were surprised the sweaters covered up the numbers, shows you how few county games some of those lot have bothered to attend in recent years.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    awavey wrote:

I can assure you when you are sitting at a cricket ground, even if you are lucky enough to be by the boundary edge, youve got no hope of seeing these numbers on shirts of players standing by the wicket in the centre, or fielding the opposite side to you. even with binoculars youll probably struggle to pick them out, it helps broadcasters watching the game on tv because now they dont have to try too hard to remember all the players.

but the only number youll be able to read as a fan at the ground, is of the guy standing directly in front of you.

its marketing b******t to claim this remotely benefits fans, or its modernising of the game, and the whole thing that they were surprised the sweaters covered up the numbers, shows you how few county games some of those lot have bothered to attend in recent years.

As someone who can naturally be a bit cynical and would assume it's a marketing angle first and foremost I have to say I don't believe it is in this case. I've never seen anyone wear cricketing whites as a leisure garment or even in any number in the crowds at a test match so I don't see where the demand for them with numbers on is going to come from. ODI shirts maybe, which have had numbers for while, but not test cricket wear.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    I cannot think of any other team sport that don't have numbers.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    Netball.
  • Pinno wrote:

Other sports the numbers denote position/role. In test cricket they are literally random. They are underneath the players name so how does a big 66 help you identify Root?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    On the subject of cricket. How do the commentators manage to pick out what the ball has done, where it has pitched etc. in real time? When I've been at matches, even sitting behind the bowler's arm, all I see is the bowler's arms windmilling and the batsman either swinging, blocking or shouldering arms to an invisible ball and then hopefully the ball travelling across the ground or through the air.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Other sports the numbers denote position/role. In test cricket they are literally random. They are underneath the players name so how does a big 66 help you identify Root?

By that logic, if cricketers had numbers based on some sort of reason, you would be more accepting of them?
  • Pross wrote:
    On the subject of cricket. How do the commentators manage to pick out what the ball has done, where it has pitched etc. in real time? When I've been at matches, even sitting behind the bowler's arm, all I see is the bowler's arms windmilling and the batsman either swinging, blocking or shouldering arms to an invisible ball and then hopefully the ball travelling across the ground or through the air.

Experience. I agree though even medium pacers are tricky to spot but a genuine fast bowler of 90mph+ be so hard. I feel for the umpires as well. They are having a torrid time at Edgbaston, loads of wrong decisions but with DRS and ultra slo-mo and snicko etc every decision can be reviewed which is good as correct decisions need to be made but tough for umpires.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Pinno wrote:

Relay swimming.

Team parachuting

Pig sticking

Water polo

Speed Chess

Portrait painting
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Lagrange wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Relay swimming.

Team parachuting

Pig sticking

Water polo

Speed Chess

Portrait painting

w/p has numbers on hats n'est ce pas?

#IAMNOTANUMBER
    #IAMAFREEMAN
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    n'est chapeau
  • pinno
    Lagrange wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Relay swimming.

Team parachuting

Pig sticking

Water polo

Speed Chess

Portrait painting

C'est vrais, c'est vrais.
  • awavey
    the milk Im drinking says use before July 15th...its ok actually :)
  • Why those who go on holiday seem to spend all their time posting about it on social media to people they don't know and have never met. The occasional post to say you went for a particularly nice ride or something is understandable but multiple posts everyday about what was done/ate/drank etc smacks of boredom.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,602
    Why those who go on holiday seem to spend all their time posting about it on a forum to people they don't know and have never met. The occasional post to say you went for a particularly nice ride or something is understandable but multiple posts everyday about what was done/ate/drank etc smacks of boredom.
    Not enjoying your holiday? :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I'm not on holiday, although am on leave. Personally when I'm away on holiday somewhere I'm doing stuff, eating out every day, conversing with real people in real life, face to face sort of thing etc and basically not thinking about forums etc, I mean why would you unless bored or have no friends. As it happens although on my monthly 10 days off I'm in work today (called in on overtime), so I'm making use of company time to do mundane stuff like this :D . Not sure I'd bother when away.
    See also those who take photos of virtually every meal and post it up. Who the f*ck cares.
  • pblakeney
    Not enjoying your leave?
    I don’t go to work when I’m on leave.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I work shifts so I get leave every month.(I work total of 6 days and 6 nights in a month with 18 days off in total). And that's how overtime works, you go in when you're off. And get paid lots.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    So, have a theory that the reason why nurses etc are treated like sacred cows in the UK is because, deep down, there’s a tacit agreement they’re paid too little for the job they do.

So, I wonder what the pay for nurses would have to be to tip general sentiment away from nurses; what would be the pay threshold where opinion would turn from “angels” to greedy money grabbing workers.

These are the things that pop into my head while I’m dozing on the train.
  • pblakeney
    Probably the moment that they go on strike to get the salary that they deserve. That day may not be too far off.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    I work shifts so I get leave every month.(I work total of 6 days and 6 nights in a month with 18 days off in total). And that's how overtime works, you go in when you're off. And get paid lots.
    I work extra hours when already there. Saves on wasted travelling time.
    Days off are days off.
    #betterthingstodo
    Veronese68 wrote: