Awful crash in the Ride London Classique

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,199
edited August 2019 in Pro race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6kbIDIwr-0

I only got the snippet on BBC news 24 but there was no mention of any serious injuries.
Was there?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pinno wrote:

I only got the snippet on BBC news 24 but there was no mention of any serious injuries.
    Was there?

sounds like Elinor Barker might have a broken collar bone, but wont be confirmed if or not till tomorrow, it was the two Drops riders who went down hardest from that crash I think, the white jersey kit with the yellow bikes, but they patched Lizzie Bennett up and sent her home, and Canyon SRAM reported all their riders were ok as well, Alice Barnes crashed with 1km to go, Ive not picked up there were any other serious injuries so far
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Velon have some onboard footage including that from Wild's bike who was deemed to have caused the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNv3LkPV2SY
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    Velon have some onboard footage including that from Wild's bike who was deemed to have caused the crash.

She did, no question. although her on bike footage doesn't really capture the move.
    Hard to believe that on a such a wide and with what was a fairly small bunch, that could happen.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Nearly commented on this just after the event in the **** race thread, but didn't seem to be any interest at the time... Major wipeout all caused by Wild! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    redvee wrote:

She did, no question. although her on bike footage doesn't really capture the move.
    Hard to believe that on a such a wide and with what was a fairly small bunch, that could happen.
    Wide roads with thinned out bunch = riders feeling like they’ve got more space to play with. In my experience, there were always more crashes on closed motor circuit type courses (wide shallow corners, etc) than proper road courses with apparently riskier aspects such as pinch points or sharp corners.
    The shame for Wild (and the fallers, obvs) is that her move was nothing compared to what we see in so many sprints - it’s that the outcome was catastrophic.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    There was so much bad riding and switching going on in the sprint and lead out and really no need for it? Did Wild get a DQ for that? It was an odd one the way it spread across the road more than front to back.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Pross wrote:
    There was so much bad riding and switching going on in the sprint and lead out and really no need for it? Did Wild get a DQ for that? It was an odd one the way it spread across the road more than front to back.
    Wild got DQ'ed. It spread across the road because bikes were bouncing all over the place and one in particular somehow ended up bouncing sideways taking out a group of riders on the other side of the road to where the crash happened.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Barker confirmed collar bone break. Nina Kessler (Team Tibco) went to hospital as well, Chloe Hoskings appears to have concussion

Wild was dsq'd for causing the crash,they said her rear wheel had clipped Chloe Hoskings front wheel and triggered the resulting carnage as Hoskings then falls to her right into the main bunch and its just dominoes then on, Ive read theres overhead camera footage which shows it definitively, but Ive only seen the head on cameras as Wild comes across Hoskings...and then Hoskings goes down,

which feels almost like it was Hoskings gets Wilds slipstream lead out effectively and its her front wheel that clips Wilds rear wheel instead as Wild doesnt seem to wobble, but I dont know, it feels like a dangerous move, even if there hadnt been a crash probably would have been called out for impeding the sprint

though its a classic wide road sprint finish accident, so much so, nearly the exact thing happened in 2015 as well https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cycling/33747443 (if you can get the archaic BBC footage to play)

one thing I didnt like to see though is those damn shoulder busting triangular advertising bollards along the barrier, as Hoskings bike hits one, and it detaches and I think thats what took out Nina Kesslers bike,and then becomes an object to avoid and then as the crash rolls through the bunch looks like maybe CCC liv rider ends up face planting into one on the other side.

I thought we'd got rid of them after Cavs accident
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Poor from Wild, I hope she got an almighty b*ll*cking from someone for that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    It's clear that there was no lead out train in control of proceedings which normally string riders out and reduces the chaos that this bunch sprint was.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    Inevitable due to speed etc

I love the ones at the back who weave through and carry on
  • awavey wrote:

Wild was dsq'd for causing the crash,they said her rear wheel had clipped Chloe Hoskings front wheel and triggered the resulting carnage as Hoskings then falls to her right into the main bunch and its just dominoes then on, Ive read theres overhead camera footage which shows it definitively, but Ive only seen the head on cameras as Wild comes across Hoskings...and then Hoskings goes down,

which feels almost like it was Hoskings gets Wilds slipstream lead out effectively and its her front wheel that clips Wilds rear wheel instead as Wild doesnt seem to wobble, but I dont know, it feels like a dangerous move, even if there hadnt been a crash probably would have been called out for impeding the sprint

You really need to see the overhead, because it is definitive. Hoskings wasn't in her slipstream and totally blameless. Nothing she could do.
    Wild, on the other, with her track background, might have thought to have a quick peek, but I suppose it was both eyes on the finishing line and her compatriot who had stolen a march.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    She did cut her up but I would have expected the rider that got brought down to have made a better fist of avoiding her.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Elinor Barker has just tweeted that she has a broken collarbone but it mostly ok otherwise...

Cant link to the tweet soz
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I don't know what they need to do differently, but the turnout to watch the race was abysmal. Loads of people there in the afternoon for the other events, but not many seemed to stick around compared to last year.
  • Pross
    She did cut her up but I would have expected the rider that got brought down to have made a better fist of avoiding her.

How exactly? Bunny hop the barriers or pull an emergency stop? She wouldn't have known Wild was coming across her until the last second when she can into her peripheral vision and had nowhere to go with the barriers on her left.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    No I think she could have moved left - you see it all the time in sprints - at pro level moves which would cause carnage in lower amateur races are almost par for the course. I think she had time to react.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • The men's race and the coverage:
    What a clueless shambles. No camera at the front of the bunch on the final climb when it all kicks offs.
    Instead there is one left with the chasse patate.

Still no coverage where the action is, just 3 blokes on a Sunday stroll around Surrey.
  • Pross
    No I think she could have moved left - you see it all the time in sprints - at pro level moves which would cause carnage in lower amateur races are almost par for the course. I think she had time to react.

She did have more space to the barrier than I originally thought but Wild comes across at such pace I really don't see how she would have had enough time to react.
  • Pross
    The men's race and the coverage:
    What a clueless shambles. No camera at the front of the bunch on the final climb when it all kicks offs.
    Instead there is one left with the chasse patate.

Still no coverage where the action is, just 3 blokes on a Sunday stroll around Surrey.

It would be a waste of a bike filming the local cake ride. It's become an embarrassment of a race and probably time for it to lose its WT status. Reducing the length has just made it easier for sprint teams to control.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Millar on the motorbike really didn't work. He couldn't see enough to be able to do what he does best which is talk about the race as a whole and what's happening, rather than just reeling off names of the <10 riders that he could see
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    edited August 2019
    ive been taken out by tossers like that and this woman is supposed to be a professional
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Crap races, crap sportive.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Ive watched that crash over and over. That is some crap riding there.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

I've only seen it from the front so i may be totally wrong. It didn't seem like a violent change of direction to me. Yes she moved across a fair way, but it looked like the rider she hit had plenty of time to avoid it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:

I've only seen it from the front so i may be totally wrong. It didn't seem like a violent change of direction to me. Yes she moved across a fair way, but it looked like the rider she hit had plenty of time to avoid it.

If you want to have a look at the overhead, it's here at about 2 minutes in.

Incidentally, the exact same thing happened in the Volta yesterday...............................on top of a 2000 metre mountain finish in a group of 10.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,315
    Think it's more in the line of a racing incident with dire consequences. She (Wild) is clearly at fault, but also only tried to find a lane to accelerate out of. No malice really.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Alejandrosdog
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Think it's more in the line of a racing incident with dire consequences. She (Wild) is clearly at fault, but also only tried to find a lane to accelerate out of. No malice really.

No Malice but simple dangerous riding resulting in a serious incident. She should be fined heavily for that.
  • Alejandrosdog
    gsk82 wrote:

Incidentally, the exact same thing happened in the Volta yesterday...............................on top of a 2000 metre mountain finish in a group of 10.

madness.
  • gsk82 wrote:

madness.

Not very clear what happened from this but you will get the idea.

https://twitter.com/_AlexMondin/status/ ... 2355140608