Garmin Edge Courses don't load

legalbiker
legalbiker Posts: 14
edited August 2019 in Road general
I've had a Garmin Edge 1000 for 3 years and it's never given me problems. I would create a gpx file on one of the many sites, load it into the New Files subfolder in the Garmin folder on the Edge and then when disconnecting the Edge from the PC the route was automatically converted to a fit file in the Courses subfolder and the files in the Newfiles folder were automatically deleted. The course would also show up on the device under Courses. But this no longer works.

The files now convert to fit files in the Courses folder but they don't show on the Edge under Courses. All it says is, No courses saved. The gpx files in the New Files folder are also not deleted. I have manually placed fit files in the Courses folder but still nothing shows in the Courses on the Edge interface. I have synched the software, carried out a factory reset but it makes no difference

I've just had to cancel a long planned trip and I'm going out of my mind. Please can you help.

Thanks

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    have you tried different ways of loading courses? Try creating a course in Garmin Connect and then syncing the course onto your unit with Garmin Express.

If that doesn't work have a look through the Garmin forums and consider actually contacting Garmin.
  • Give Garmin a ring. They are very good with phone support.
  • wongataa wrote:
    have you tried different ways of loading courses? Try creating a course in Garmin Connect and then syncing the course onto your unit with Garmin Express.

If that doesn't work have a look through the Garmin forums and consider actually contacting Garmin.
    Thanks. I have now downloaded courses through synching but though they show in courses on the device, I get a message 'Invalid course. Delete?'. This is despite that one of the courses was working only last week.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why cancel ? Write down the route on some duck tape. Put on your bike a d follow. Simples.

People still cycled before Garmins.
  • cougie wrote:
    Why cancel ? Write down the route on some duck tape. Put on your bike a d follow. Simples.

People still cycled before Garmins.
    Absolutely right and I should have. But I thought I would turn back and fix it and then got bogged down. Should just have kept on going. Lesson for next time.
  • legalbiker wrote:
    ..... would create a gpx file on one of the many sites...
    When I got my Garmin 810 I quickly rumbled that especially living in a London Suburb that Garmin connect shared route planning with runners, potentially sending a cyclist the wrong way down a one way street or around a roundabout the wrong way, frequent overriding would often cause the unit to shut down! To be fair with the introduction of 'popularity routing' these issues have somewhat diminished.

My preferred site for route planning was and still is Ridewithgs as I like that you can switch between 'driving', 'cycling' and 'walking' to navigate over a footbridge for example; then uploading into the unit just as you have been with via a USB lead and 'New files folder'. I have noticed though that if I don't use a genuine Garmin Lead it doesn't like it, I dare say like many of us I have a bag full of leads and accidentally used a similar lead, so maybe worth checking you had not accidentally done the same?

If like me you also prefer other course planning sites to Garmin Connect, to eliminate a potential compatibility problem that may have arisen with any of these sites and Garmin; I'd plan a course on Garmin connect and sync via the app on your phone to make sure.
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    You need to reformat the drive - I know it sounds scary, search for how to do it. I had the same problem, reformatting sorted it.