SRAM PF30 for Boardman MTB

Lagrange
Lagrange Posts: 652
edited August 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
My Boardman MTB 29r has SRAM GX and a PF30 BB which started getting notchy at 2000 miles. I tried to replace it but it was beyond me & my toolbox so the LBS did it replacing the whole thing - maybe not the tensioner. And it is going fine.

I've had 8000 miles out of my Hope BB on my Orange and still going strong but I just don't like this PF 30. Looking at the CRC site the SRAM PF 30 has bad ratings. So for the future I'd pefer something else.

Is there a better long life alternative to the SRAM PF 30 including converter to a different crankset that someone can recommend please?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I have not used them but Praxis Cycles may have the solution that you are looking for.

https://praxiscycles.com/bottom-bracket ... ersion-bb/

If you proceed, let us all know how you get on.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I replaced the push fit bb on my Trance with a Wheels Manufacturing thread together bb and it has been faultless. 3,000 miles so far and still buttery smooth.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Lagrange
    Well thanks for those options. :)

The praxis product looks sound and makes sense.

JBA thanks - this looks a good solution. I take it that the bearings are 30mm? The SRAM pf 30 has an annoying bearing pre-tensioner which adds about 3mm laterally. Do you have to transfer that to the WM over the ND axle and if not how do you control the pressure on the bearing - or the axle from lateral movement ?

Funny how the PF 30 was a SRAM specific upgrade! 30mm axle from 25 mm axle - my dad was a fat Commando and even he could not bend 25mm steel.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I’m afraid I don’t know about the pretensionsr, Lagrange.
    I run Shimano on my bike so it’s a different method for preloading the bearings.
    THIS is the bb that you would need though. There fitting instructions on the WheelsMfg website that may answer your pretensioner question.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Lagrange
    Thanks JBA - I'm familiar with the Shimano process - is is basically not squeezing the bearings too hard and you gently move the cranks together and then clamp the moveable one. I guess the sram system is the same - it is basically an (annoying) adjustable spacer performing the same role.

I'll give this a try and let you know! Appreciate your help.