Rate The Race: Tour de France 2019

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    TimothyW wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'm curious - For the folks who rated it an 8.

If you're familiar with the 89 TdF, what would you score that?
    Based on what I know, 9, although it's possible having watched it live in the same manner I watched this one I could probably range that score anywhere between a 7-10. Certainly it had high drama although it does feel a little unfair that lemond did it with the benefit of tri bars.

Best comparison for me is the Giro 2018 which I'd score a 9.

Giro 2018 was sort of the opposite for me, a terrible start that ended brilliantly. It's probably better that way around as I think when remembering it people forget that dire start in Israel. From memory even the Etna stage was being criticised as boring at the time.
  • iainf72 wrote:

25 minutes of highlights a day makes it a lot easier to give 9, too.
    Just black and white photos of riders in the mountains on dirt roads? Instant 10.

Agreed. But I think if you look at 89, you had the yellow going back and forth between Lemond and Fignon a few times. It was really OMG stuff.

This years Tour (a 7, IMO) is more like the 1990 event

On the basis that one has to have an outlier benchmark, I'd probably have awarded 10 to 1989.
    Which means my 8 for this year has the same, two point margin.
    Pross wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Based on what I know, 9, although it's possible having watched it live in the same manner I watched this one I could probably range that score anywhere between a 7-10. Certainly it had high drama although it does feel a little unfair that lemond did it with the benefit of tri bars.

Best comparison for me is the Giro 2018 which I'd score a 9.

Giro 2018 was sort of the opposite for me, a terrible start that ended brilliantly. It's probably better that way around as I think when remembering it people forget that dire start in Israel. From memory even the Etna stage was being criticised as boring at the time.

2005, 2010 were better overall Giros for me.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Ridgerider wrote:
    jam1e wrote:
    I've also developed a somewhat irrational dislike of the hype surrounding failed/failing gc'ers winning mountain stages from breakaways they're allowed in because nobody really cares what they're upto.

Snap

I thought Nibali's last stage win was a complete non-event and represented his failure to contribute anything to the actual race.

I felt the opposite

I didnt quite get over Nibali not throwing off the mask of indifference and throwing down a full gc challenge

Turns out he wasn't bluffing
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    jam1e wrote:
    I've also developed a somewhat irrational dislike of the hype surrounding failed/failing gc'ers winning mountain stages from breakaways they're allowed in because nobody really cares what they're upto.

Snap

I thought Nibali's last stage win was a complete non-event and represented his failure to contribute anything to the actual race.

Except Nibbles wasn't given free reign, 15 minutes etc.. he was given 2 minutes and had to ride hard to the bottom of the climb rather than just sit in a break. He contributed more to the race than some riders in the top 10

+1
    Or Yates to that matter....they were racing hard behind and the breaks were being controlled too. This ex GC riders allowed to escape therefore their wins don't count narrative doesn't hold for me. Technically or aesthetically.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Not only was the gc race actually interesting there was a rake of classy stage wins. Yates TDG stand out. JA solo ride. Or his ITT.... Best itt in years.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:

It was good having those two swapping the jersey every other day and the final day was extraordinary.

I preferred this year's close tactical GC battle thou it gets marked down for the weather thing in the Alps.
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:

25 minutes of highlights a day makes it a lot easier to give 9, too.
    Just black and white photos of riders in the mountains on dirt roads? Instant 10.

Agreed. But I think if you look at 89, you had the yellow going back and forth between Lemond and Fignon a few times. It was really OMG stuff.

This years Tour (a 7, IMO) is more like the 1990 event

This year's tour doesn't really have a past analogue. It was pretty exceptional. The 96 tour was a bit "who is going to win" at times but lacked that hardness this tour had. .... The stage up the tourmalet was a very serious bit of bike racing . They all.just went so deep and you could throw a blanket across the lot.

Racing is different now a matter of seconds . When Jumbo came to the front and maintained the pressure just as movistar ran out of men really was a Jaysus fffffing Christ moment. ... It just went on and on and on .....
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    The 89 tour was about a lot more than the final stages from the minute that Delgado missed his prologue time the whole thing was fascinating.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    chrisw12 wrote:
    The 89 tour was about a lot more than the final stages from the minute that Delgado missed his prologue time the whole thing was fascinating.

Yep. There's no way the 89 Tour could be anything less than a 10.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

More than the 7 you'd have given it. :wink:

Ha! I'd have given it a solid i9.

So what’s a 10 then?

Or are you treating a 10 score like it’s van Impe’s final sprocket?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

So what’s a 10 then?

But if you give a ten and then something better comes along where can you? This isn't Spinal Tap.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • 8.5, so I’ve gone with 9. It was fantastic right from the start, was just a shame about the last 2 alpine stages. But even stage 20 was saved by that class ride from Nibali.

Best tour for a long long time.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

So what’s a 10 then?

But if you give a ten and then something better comes along where can you? This isn't Spinal Tap.

So yes it's being treated like van Impe's final sprocket.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

So what’s a 10 then?

You can just retrospectively change your scoring - it's not set in stone is it.

If a 10 is defined as the best race you've ever seen, it changes by definition if you later see a better race.............
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'm sure the 89 tour was good, but what was that, four time trials? I find it hard to believe they were as entertaining as even some of the more dull stages this year... And couldn't it have been better if Delgado had made his start time so giving us a three way battle?

Either way, I think rating it 10 is a stretch, given it implies perfection.

Reading about it now it sounds as if the 90 tour was nearly as exciting, with the overhauling of Chiapucci and the other breakaway leaders (same questions as this year over whether they could hold on), Lemonds demon descents saving his tour etc...

Either way it's all in the eye of the beholder - certainly any of them is more exciting than the more usual tours where a strong rider with a good team stamps his authority early and never looks under any serious threat.
  • Just about an 8 for me.

There was some GC drama until the final weekend, French excitement which always helps the race and no race long domination from SKY/Ineos.

All good.
  • TimothyW wrote:
    I'm sure the 89 tour was good, but what was that, four time trials? I find it hard to believe they were as entertaining as even some of the more dull stages this year...
    Well, the final one was exciting!
    TimothyW wrote:
    And couldn't it have been better if Delgado had made his start time so giving us a three way battle?
    Delgado lost over 7 minutes in the first 3 stages, to then finish 3 and a half minutes behind. If he had turned for the prologue on time, I don't think it would have been a three way race, he would have won it easily.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    1989 a 10 for me. Had it all.

This year? An 8 - had massive potential but the freak weather ruined it. Shame.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

So what’s a 10 then?

If you give it a 9, and something better comes along then you still can't award that a 10 through fear that something even better may arrive. So you have just introduced a new upper limit of 9 instead of 10.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Give it 11 - your score, your rules.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    TheBigBean wrote:

If you give it a 9, and something better comes along then you still can't award that a 10 through fear that something even better may arrive. So you have just introduced a new upper limit of 9 instead of 10.
    I prefer to go for a 9.5 which a false 10
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TimothyW wrote:
    I'm sure the 89 tour was good, but what was that, four time trials? I find it hard to believe they were as entertaining as even some of the more dull stages this year... And couldn't it have been better if Delgado had made his start time so giving us a three way battle?

The TT's in the 89 TdF were all good, would you believe.

Prologue had Delgado being late and Lemond doing a good ride. The long TT to Rennes was very entertaining and the first sighting of aero bars at a TdF. Both on 7-Eleven and for Lemond. Delgado fight back started - He had dry conditions as he started early, the rest it hammered it down. Mountain TT was ok. And the final TT was one of the best thngs in cycling ever.

I don't think it would've been a cake walk for Delgado. He was given more room because he was far behind. He wouldn't have got that amount of room. He would've ridden the first long TT in the rain
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    Do you have a side business flogging '89 Tour highlights or something Iain?
  • TheBigBean
    iainf72 wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

The TT's in the 89 TdF were all good, would you believe.

Prologue had Delgado being late and Lemond doing a good ride. The long TT to Rennes was very entertaining and the first sighting of aero bars at a TdF. Both on 7-Eleven and for Lemond. Delgado fight back started - He had dry conditions as he started early, the rest it hammered it down. Mountain TT was ok. And the final TT was one of the best thngs in cycling ever.

I don't think it would've been a cake walk for Delgado. He was given more room because he was far behind. He wouldn't have got that amount of room. He would've ridden the first long TT in the rain

He lost enough time in the final TT to suggest that he wouldn't have been competitive even without his missed start and hunger knock.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

If only.

I just wanted to get a feel for how people who rated this years TdF very highly rated it. I say 89 was 2 points better than this year.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    iainf72 wrote:

If only.

I just wanted to get a feel for how people who rated this years TdF very highly rated it. I say 89 was 2 points better than this year.
    You're sure there's not an element of rose tinted glasses there...
  • TheBigBean
    iainf72 wrote:

If only.

Where is 87?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    I don't think people will remember this year's one in this level of detail in 30 years time.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

If only.

I tend to agree that for a race to really reach the loft 8+ marks, they need to follow through on sky-high anticipation. That is a real rarity in cycling, and, let's face it, the anticipation is usually better than the actual thing.

This year's tour was very high on anticipation, with that stage 15 to Foix (a top GT stage, you'll agree), setting it up to be a real banger.

But that stage 19 really killed it. We needed a Pinot to light it up as he had been. Even then it still looked pretty interesting with a long range attack from the prior climbing favourite Bernal, who was risking it all with the luxury of a teammate on their rival's wheel.

But then the anticipation, which had gone from A grade to B with the Pinot retirement collapsed to an E or F when the stage finish was cancelled. We ended up with the winner being crowned without a race-winning/defining ride. Sad face.

That really killed it off and left it with disappointing taste.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    He lost enough time in the final TT to suggest that he wouldn't have been competitive even without his missed start and hunger knock.

His podium spot was pretty secure by then and not being the greatest tester, he wasn't going to move up to 2nd or 1st. Doubt he put much into the final TT. Still think without his missed start and hunger knock he would have won.