Spoiler ***Clasica Ciclista San Sebastian***

ridgerider
ridgerider Posts: 2,851
edited August 2019 in Pro race
What does the race profile and route look like?

What is San Sebastian like as a town?

What do the locals eat and drink?

Anybody got any ideas?
Half man, Half bike

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    PAGING MR SADDLES...
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Ridgerider wrote:
    What does the race profile and route look like?

As per the PTP page, click here to see the profile.

Having cycled it all (in different goes), the route's pretty much a reflection of local cycling in the basque country: nowhere flat, no really long climbs, big total ascent.

There are minor changes for this year: There's no longer a circuit to climb Jaizkibel twice (Yay!); linking instead clockwise with Erlaitz (YAY!). This combination is a very popular local route in either direction. I suspect the loop around Murgilbide was too short and, instead, cyclists now will go up the same hill using an easier route, but go all the way out to Orio, a nearby village, through a very narrow descent. I'm unsure how a "full" peloton will fit there, as two cars don't fit easily. From there, there are about 15 flat-ish km back to Murgilbide, the same muur from the last few years, and the quick descent to the finish.

My take is that, despite the improvements, Jaizkibel (8 km at 6%, with 4 km or so at 8%) + Erlaitz (4 km at 10%) are too far from the finish, and the 15 flat km after Mendizorrotz followed by the steep wall will inhibit breakaways from anyone other than the invited teams. All should be decided in the last 10 km. Despite 227 km and >5000 m total ascent.
    What is San Sebastian like as a town?
    It's a small city (population is ~200k), popular as a summer resort due to its three beaches. It's a proud basque enclave, and Basque, the local language, is extremely old and not derived from Latin. Quite posh compared to the neighbouring area, and with a substantial french influence (30 km from the border). Locals are very proud of their cuisine, with many top restaurants. Local tapas are brilliant, and called "pintxos". Weather is mild through the year, rarely getting very hot. Quite rainy, though (yearly precipitation is almost thrice of Edinburgh's).
    What do the locals eat and drink?
    Pintxos are the favourite snack amongst locals, eaten alongside a "txikito", a small glass of red wine, or a "zurito", a small glass of beer, at about 1/4 pint . Otherwise, the diet is quite different from, say, Barcelona. Fish & seafood is very popular, and squid on its ink is delicious... provided you can stomach eating a pitch black dish.
    Anybody got any ideas?
    Want more info? I've done work-related visits there.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited August 2019
    What is this little race of which you speak?
    Don't you know that the mighty and magnificent Volta y Portugal is underway on the Iberian peninsular?
    The boys riding there can put Chris Froome's numbers to shame. :P

Edition 39 of the Clásica de San Sebastián is held this Saturday. The hilly classic in the Basque Country dates back to 1981. The race is marked by steep ascent in the mountains of the Basque Country. The finale features the Murgil climb – 2.1 kilometres at 10.1% – before a flying descent into San Sebastián.

ff4315d3-69aa-4bac-8fcf-1723718b01bd.jpg

Last year, Julian Alaphilippe and Bauke Mollema forced a crucial selection on the short and sharp Murgil. They reached the summit together to plunge down to the line, where the Frenchman outsprinted the Dutch rider.

8f54607b-671d-49d6-9dd7-787832157536.jpg

The first part of the 2019 route is a carbon copy of last year’s. The first climb is the Meage, which is crested at kilometre 27. The 3.5 kilometres uphill at 3.4% is perfect to stretch the legs before the route continues to the Alto Iturburu. The 6.6 kilometres climb at 5.3% leads to the highest point of the Clásica de San Sebastián at an elevation of merely 550 metres.

san-sebastian-2019-result-climb-n2-452c629f03.jpg

Next up is the Alkiza, a 4.4 kilometres climb at 6.2% with its summit at kilometre 78.9.

san-sebastian-2019-result-climb-n3-285e617908.jpg

A calm phase in the race precedes the Alto de Jaizkibel. The 6.9 kilometres long climb at 6.2% is a regular on the Clásica de San Sebastián. The first 3 kilometres are steepest before the climb flattens out towards the top.

san-sebastian-2019-result-climb-n4-637774fa59.jpg

Approximately 10 kilometres after the descent of the Jaizkibel the riders tackle the 13 kilometres long Erlaitz. The first and last part and nothing special, but the heart of the ascent is something else entirely: 3.8 kilometres at 10.6%.

san-sebastian-2019-result-climb-n5-6b3219e050.jpg

The riders descent into San Sebastián for the first passage on the line with 40 kilometres remaining. Still two ascents to go, both with insane gradients. First the Mendizorrotz. The two hardest kilometre slope at 11.3% before the climbs continues on a section of 2 kilometres at 4.5%.

san-sebastian-2019-result-climb-n6-4e5a30dc24.jpg

Probably, the Clásica de San Sebastián comes down to the steep ramps of the Murgil’s climb. As it did since the wall-like obstacle was included in 2014. The Murgil Tontorra, as the Basks say, has an average slope of 10.1% and the length is 2.1 kilometres. The steepest ramps of the Clásica de San Sebastián’s last climb are 22%.

san-sebastian-2019-result-climb-n7-5567f6d6e9.jpg

Only 7.3 kilometres remaining at the top. First a false flat and then a technical descent into San Sebastián before the last 3 kilometres are played out on the wide and flat boulevards along the coast.

Favourites 2019 Clásica de San Sebastián

***** Simon Yates, Julian Alaphilippe, Egan Bernal
    **** Greg Van Avermaet, Alejandro Valverde, Adam Yates
    *** Mikel Landa, Bauke Mollema, Michael Woods
    ** Gregor Mühlberger, Tadej Pogacar, Rigoberto Uran, Daniel Martin
    * David Gaudu, Tony Gallopin, Giulio Ciccone, Tim Wellens

Donostia-San Sebastián

Donostia/San Sebastian concentrates all of the qualities that a visitor could ever wish for in a small area: it is one of the most beautiful places in the world, where tradition and modernity go hand in hand in a stunning setting.

1987_ho_00_p_1024x768.jpg

Donostia/San Sebastian is a lively, active city with a healthy lifestyle that is strongly linked to taking part in outdoor sports. With a well-organised urban layout and short distances, Donostia/San Sebastian is perfect for going around on foot or on a bike, with large pedestrianised areas, bidegorris(bicycle paths) and promenades that run along its entire coastline.

GettyImages-163188684_medium.jpg?sharp=10&vib=20&w=1200

The Basque seaside city of San Sebastián has a long list of attractions in its favour, a romantic old town and cityside beaches to name a few. But by far the greatest reason to head there is the food. The city is famous for its pintxos - the Basque version of tapas.

Pintxos2.jpg

pintxos-donostiarras.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • drhaggis
    I shouldn't have bothered... (even if my numbers for the climbs differ from Flamme Rouge's)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited August 2019
    DrHaggis wrote:
    I shouldn't have bothered... (even if my numbers for the climbs differ from Flamme Rouge's)

I am sorry.
    If you look, I posted 2 minutes after you and obviously the post took longer than 2 minutes to put together.
    You numbers are probably a lot more accurate than Flamme Rouge's too. They tend to be a bit off from time to time.
  • DrHaggis wrote:

Delete dup.
  • drhaggis
    edited August 2019
    DrHaggis wrote:

I am sorry.
    If you look, I posted 2 minutes after you and obviously the post took longer than 2 minutes to put together.

Oh, don't worry, I know! It was all meant in good spirit! I also started adding links to climbs, but what I found from the locals was too eclectic, so it was discarded.

All in all, my doubts are whether the new course is all but neutered by having the bigger climbs so far from the finish. As is, the peloton can let a dummy breakaway for pretty much all the race, and only try to pull it back in the 15 km after Mendizorrotz.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I for one enjoyed reading both previews :D
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    DrHaggis wrote:
    DrHaggis wrote:

I am sorry.

Oh, don't worry, I know! It was all meant in good spirits!
    Thank you for your post. It's always great to hear from someone with actual local knowledge.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    PAGING MR SADDLES...
    Thank you for answering the bat signal!

(Both previews were good)

I like this race. Yates I reckon - Alaphillippe been dining out on his yellow jersey wearing all week?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

**** Greg Van Avermaet, Mikel Landa, Adam Yates
    *** Alejandro Valverde, Bauke Mollema, Michael Woods
    Just three stars for a rider who has done this race seven times, won it, had four podiums and never finished lower than ninth? Ok. It's your preview.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Favourites 2019 Clásica de San Sebastián
    *************************************** Alejandro Valverde
    *** Bauke Mollema, Michael Woods

A star for every one of his years. How's that? :wink:

OK, I'll swap Landa and Valverde around.

I'm glad I'm on holidays next weekend and won't be around for the start of the Vuelta, the amount of flak I've taken over this one.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    *************************************** Alejandro Valverde
    *** Bauke Mollema, Michael Woods

A star for every one of his years. How's that? :wink:
    I was referring to Bauke Mollema. His record's amazing in this race: 9th, 5th, 2nd, 6th, 1st, 3rd, 2nd
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    DrHaggis wrote:
    DrHaggis wrote:

I am sorry.

Oh, don't worry, I know! It was all meant in good spirit! I also started adding links to climbs, but what I found from the locals was too eclectic, so it was discarded.

All in all, my doubts are whether the new course is all but neutered by having the bigger climbs so far from the finish. As is, the peloton can let a dummy breakaway for pretty much all the race, and only try to pull it back in the 15 km after Mendizorrotz.

Thank you Dr, and BS, perfectly complimentary, and no excuse for any of us not to pick the winner.

Any road, BS and I both spend cold nights in tents in San Sebastian, so I would add this to your description of the climate. Mild summer days with freezing summer nights.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    PAGING MR SADDLES...

I like this race. Yates I reckon - Alaphillippe been dining out on his yellow jersey wearing all week?

Hedging your bets there! Which Yates? I've gone for Adam as he had a pretty easy Tour in the end. That said, looking through the start list my eye was drawn to Eddie Dunbar, if he's allowed to ride for himself I could see him doing well in this race.
  • Pross wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    PAGING MR SADDLES...

Hedging your bets there! Which Yates? I've gone for Adam as he had a pretty easy Tour in the end. That said, looking through the start list my eye was drawn to Eddie Dunbar, if he's allowed to ride for himself I could see him doing well in this race.

I went for Adam earlier in the week, only to change to Simon, this morning.
    In other words, you have picked the right Yates.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,058
    Alaphilippe abandons after 85km
  • Red.Rider wrote:
    Alaphilippe abandons after 85km

He's finished.
  • bobmcstuff
    Bloody forgot PTP didnt I. Rats.
  • Sporza showing the women's race, which still has 25kms to go....

.....edited highlights, 9kms now. :oops:
  • Live coverage has started with 76kms to go and Bernal dropped like hot plate.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    And Alaphilippe has climbed off at feed zone!!! Having a mare in ptp of late
  • De Plus has climbed off, too.
    The Tour boys are only in town to party.....
  • Adam Yates still has no form whatsoever.
  • 40kms to go and already has the look of a consolation race.
  • Remco Evenepoel has the race won, having attacked 25kms out.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    edited August 2019
    That is some ride. Him, MVDP and WVA are going to have some battles. Very, very impressive.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202
    So much young talent about right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Adam Yates still has no form whatsoever.

Making a sudden pre-Vuelta return to form somewhat unlikely.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Remco, class act. Needs to avoid getting labelled as the new Merckx though :lol:

My instinct for Dunbar wasn't far off, was just on the wrong wheel with the final split going over the top of the last climb and couldn't quite get back to the GVA group.