What do you use in your camelbak?

mr meddle
mr meddle Posts: 3
edited August 2019 in MTB general
I've always used high 5 tabs in me bottles but now I just got a camelbak, can I use them in this or does it make it too much of a pain to clean out?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just water. Easier to keep clean.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Water. Anything else goes in a bottle.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Just water. When you have finished your ride, empty the camelbak and put it in the freezer until you next need to use it.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited August 2019
    Just plain old council pop.
    Empty it out after a ride, give the mouth piece a wash and bung the bladder in the freezer until next time.

To answer the original question: Yes, you can use tabs in the bladder. It's important to clean the bladder, hose and mouth piece thoroughly though to prevent nasty stuff growing.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I use just water. I used to use the High 5 type tabs but the sugar content encourages mould growth.

You can get sugar free tabs, but not sure if they would be any better.

As as been said - if you wash regularly and /or stick it in the freezer, you can limit any issues.

I did soak mine in some Milton recently and gave the tubes a clean with a cleaning kit. Even using just water, it does need some TLC once in a while.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    High5 in my'n. Keep it stored in the fridge and use Milton to sterilize.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I use diluted orange squash and a couple of High 5 Zero tabs, each with 75mg caffeine. The zero refers to zero sugar and zero calories.

After every ride, I rinse out the bladder and hose twice and then dry it inside and out. It is important to prop open the bladder to let air circulate so I put two crumpled up paper towels in the the bladder and leave the cap hanging.

I have noticed that the hose is the first place to start growing mould, so at sight of the first spec of black I get out the hose brush and the Milton fluid. After the brushing, I coil up the hose inside the bladder and then fill the bladder with a Milton solution and leave it for half an hour or so. Make sure that the hose is filled with the Milton solution.
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    Ice cubes and water
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    On hot days, I put the filled bladder in the fridge overnight. Hadn't thought to add ice cubes just before setting off.
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    On hot days, I put the filled bladder in the fridge overnight. Hadn't thought to add ice cubes just before setting off.

I use 50/50
  • Thanks for all your replies, went with just water. The bladder and hose now live in the freezer when not being used.

Cheers
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    does freezing it stop the dreaded mould?
  • does freezing it stop the dreaded mould?

Yep. I have used the same camelback bladder for a number of years now. I only ever use it for water, and just empty it out at the end of the ride and put it straight into the freezer. I then take it out of freezer ten minutes or so before next ride to allow it to thaw, fill it up again with water and are good to go.

I have never seen any mould in it, the tube or mouthpiece.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    does freezing it stop the dreaded mould?

Yep. I have used the same camelback bladder for a number of years now. I only ever use it for water, and just empty it out at the end of the ride and put it straight into the freezer. I then take it out of freezer ten minutes or so before next ride to allow it to thaw, fill it up again with water and are good to go.

I have never seen any mould in it, the tube or mouthpiece.

a tip from the top then! thank you