Ride London 2019 anyone?

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Going to ExCel tonight to pick up my number and see what freebies I can pick up. I think you can get some SIS stuff for the ride.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Dombo6 wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    From the official site:

Participants who live, park or plan to be dropped off south of the river can use the Rotherhithe Tunnel to cross the river. The tunnel will be closed to traffic from 04:00-08:00.

Please note: the Blackwall Tunnel remains open to traffic in both directions and will not be open to cyclists. Participants, including those using the O2 Arena Car Park, will be able to cross the river via the Emirates Air Line to get to the Start.

good to know... hopefully it will be signedposted all the way... the other year several signs seemed to be missing

Alternatively, nip across London Bridge, bear right up Gracechurch St and turn right along Fenchurch St (big Marks & Spencer on corner), then just keep going as it becomes the A11 straight to Olympic Park.
    I'll be going that way from London Bridge station.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Why do 40,000 have to trudge to Excel to take part in registration for this event? It is the back of beyond even for Londoners - never mind those who’ve travelled from much farther afield and then have the slog of going to the Docklands. It took me 3 hours before work today and is a TOTAL inconvenience. Why can’t the stuff be sent out secure post? We’d all willingly pay an extra £10.
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    Frattonise wrote:
    Why do 40,000 have to trudge to Excel to take part in registration for this event? It is the back of beyond even for Londoners - never mind those who’ve travelled from much farther afield and then have the slog of going to the Docklands. It took me 3 hours before work today and is a TOTAL inconvenience. Why can’t the stuff be sent out secure post? We’d all willingly pay an extra £10.

It's so the sponsors can try and sell you stuff.

I have things to do on Sat, in addition to a 300 mile drive. Sunday logistics are enough of a PITA, so yes, could really do without this.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I purchased 8 oat bar things from Lidl yesterday, tried one, and very nice it was too, just over 200 calories a pop.

Will be getting up at circa 04:00, zero chance in hindsight, I will be able to get any food down me that early, so planning to stick 4 or 6 in jersey, and eat perhaps 4 for breakfast while we are in the pen for the hour or what have you, and then probably take the other 2 with me, if I want something that isn't a clifblok or energy bar.

Not confident\capable enough riding no handed, so am not planning to have any gels.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Daniel B wrote:
    Will be getting up at circa 04:00, zero chance in hindsight, I will be able to get any food down me that early,

Softie... I had fried eggs and black pudding at 3 AM, before the Bryan Chapman Memorial...
    left the forum March 2023
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    The B2033 at Headley (sharpish s bend then a steep kicker up) is closed and has been for months. Apparently until 16th August. Presumably RideLondon know this but haven't updated any of the routes... I guess it's possible the road works will make some space for the event.
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    Frattonise wrote:
    Why do 40,000 have to trudge to Excel to take part in registration for this event? It is the back of beyond even for Londoners - never mind those who’ve travelled from much farther afield and then have the slog of going to the Docklands. It took me 3 hours before work today and is a TOTAL inconvenience. Why can’t the stuff be sent out secure post? We’d all willingly pay an extra £10.

I don't understand why it closes so early too, 5pm? Surely a lot of people aren't arriving until Saturday so it makes things a bit of a mad rush.
  • Frattonise wrote:

Agreed, I 'only' have to come over from Berkshire and it's still 2 hours there and back. Such a pain that you can't have it delivered to you.
  • elbowloh
    Posted this on another thread:

When i last did it (2014) you could pay extra for VIP entry, which included them posting you your race number so you didn't have to go to the ExCel.

Cost about £20 extra though. Not sure if they still do that? (i have a charity place this time around).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    It is a Royal pain in the rear end as it requires an additional return trip up to the smoke. The London to Brighton lot just post it to you so the only reason I can see they make you attend is to try and milk you for more money whilst you're there (which I'd be less likely to do as I have to shell out extra to attend.)
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Daniel B wrote:
    I purchased 8 oat bar things from Lidl yesterday, tried one, and very nice it was too, just over 200 calories a pop.

Will be getting up at circa 04:00, zero chance in hindsight, I will be able to get any food down me that early, so planning to stick 4 or 6 in jersey, and eat perhaps 4 for breakfast while we are in the pen for the hour or what have you, and then probably take the other 2 with me, if I want something that isn't a clifblok or energy bar.

Not confident\capable enough riding no handed, so am not planning to have any gels.

I'm a 0330 start from home, so will make a cheese and ham omelette the night before, wrap it in a slice of bread and eat that in the pen, along with a couple of bananas and a 50/50 OJ and water mix. Double espresso before I leave the house, then torq gels, clif shots and Frusli bars during the ride. One gel every 10 miles usually sees me fine.
  • dombo6
    -Dash wrote:
    The B2033 at Headley (sharpish s bend then a steep kicker up) is closed and has been for months. Apparently until 16th August. Presumably RideLondon know this but haven't updated any of the routes... I guess it's possible the road works will make some space for the event.

If not that's one hell of a bunny hop to clear it.
  • SAmSurf
    SAmSurf Posts: 5
    -Dash wrote:
    Been wondering about that bit, it must be in a position to 'make good' before the event not sure what they're doing down there to be honest.
    This is the best route map I can find, note the finish is different this year, we don't go through admiralty arch at the finish https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/ ... 100/route/
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Dombo6 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I'm a 0330 start from home, so will make a cheese and ham omelette the night before, wrap it in a slice of bread and eat that in the pen, along with a couple of bananas and a 50/50 OJ and water mix. Double espresso before I leave the house, then torq gels, clif shots and Frusli bars during the ride. One gel every 10 miles usually sees me fine.

I make that 10 gels for the ride?!?!?
    Wow, Torq make a hell of a lot of money from you. Your dentist must be kept busy as well.

If you wish to stop then the food stops have lots of gels and Clif bars so don't weigh yourself down with too much food.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Dombo6 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

You do realise it's Ride London not Eat London.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Daniel B wrote:
    Will be getting up at circa 04:00, zero chance in hindsight, I will be able to get any food down me that early,

Softie... I had fried eggs and black pudding at 3 AM, before the Bryan Chapman Memorial...

:cry: The idea of eating cooked food at that time I would rank with having a lager at 5am in an airport :lol:

I struggle to eat breakfast normally before 09:00, despite often being up at 5 or 6am.
    theboyfold wrote:
    Frattonise wrote:

Agreed, I 'only' have to come over from Berkshire and it's still 2 hours there and back. Such a pain that you can't have it delivered to you.

Was there no extra package option (for more cost) that meant they sent you the details?
    There was for Velosouth, but perhaps RL simply do not offer that.

I too am coming from Berkshire, one reason why we decided to stay over - apart from the fact we are going to try and attend the free cycle thing as well.
    Leaving early Saturday, heading straight to the Excel, gf and daughter heading off to more central London, I'm getting my start details, and then tubing it across to them - unload bikes, and hopefully cycle the circuit.

It all seems simple, but I reckon it won't be as easy as all that - time will tell.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:

Was there no extra package option (for more cost) that meant they sent you the details?
    There was for Velosouth, but perhaps RL simply do not offer that.

I too am coming from Berkshire, one reason why we decided to stay over - apart from the fact we are going to try and attend the free cycle thing as well.
    Leaving early Saturday, heading straight to the Excel, gf and daughter heading off to more central London, I'm getting my start details, and then tubing it across to them - unload bikes, and hopefully cycle the circuit.

It all seems simple, but I reckon it won't be as easy as all that - time will tell.

Yes, I'm doing the same sort of thing. Riding to ExCel tonight with a mate (15 miles from his to there and then back in London rush hour). Then Free Cycle with the family, they drop me at an AirBNB the night before. Meet them post ride and get the train home together.

It's a good day, but it's a lot of effort when you factor in the registration pickup.
  • dombo6
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Dombo6 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I make that 10 gels for the ride?!?!?
    Wow, Torq make a hell of a lot of money from you. Your dentist must be kept busy as well.

If you wish to stop then the food stops have lots of gels and Clif bars so don't weigh yourself down with too much food.

Torq and Gu are the only ones I like. When I rode the Pru in 2015 Newlands Corner hub was a nightmare, long queue to get in then out again. Last year I spent around an hour in an ambulance wrapped in a survival blanket at Hampton Court waiting for the 46 mile route to open so I could bale early. So this year I'm planning to just skip the major hubs, weather gods willing.
  • Daniel B wrote:

:cry: The idea of eating cooked food at that time I would rank with having a lager at 5am in an airport :lol:

I struggle to eat breakfast normally before 09:00, despite often being up at 5 or 6am.

Bacon sarnies in the Velodrome at 5am for us who are in Club 200.
    Not sure if there is any lager available, but one of the sponsors is Amstel so maybe have a pint to wash it down.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    -Dash wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:
    I failed in the ballot for the 100 again this year, but I notice they seem to have massively undersold the other events like the 19. The 19 was originally a ballot event when it launched too, but now they are selling half price guaranteed entries, the week of the event taking place. Further to that, if you enter, you also have chances to win a place in next year's 100.

I'm tempted to enter and just smash it out, but then I'm also annoyed that they don't just have more non-charity entries for the 100.

I thought of doing that. 19 mile time trial effectively but I know at that time of the day there's no way it will be glorious closed roads, it will be full of cyclists all over the place :D

Yeah, I've decided against it now.

Even at half price, it's pretty ridiculous when I'd be doing over half the distance just to get to the start, to then be starting with the likely slowest riders, before merging into the main melee off the event. The benefits of the closed roads would end up being fairly minimal.
  • SAmSurf
    SAmSurf Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if the drinks stations is as it says just drinks or do they also do some food stuff?? Or is food just at the hubs?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I had a couple of Clif Bars in my pocket so didn't pay that much attention, but I recall most stops had some food.

There's a lot of food being talked about here - you'll only be on the road for max 6 hours.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • elbowloh
    Picked up my numbers/pack yesterday. Got a couple of freebie bottles and gummies and entered a few competitions.

Bought a couple of clif shot blocks and a couple of bars for the ride.

There was not a lot there to excite me tbh.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    SAmSurf wrote:
    Does anyone know if the drinks stations is as it says just drinks or do they also do some food stuff?? Or is food just at the hubs?

I don't know for certain this year, but on the two occasions I've done it (2018 & 2016), the drinks stops had some food as well. IIRC there were usually some gels and bars and possibly cookies etc. Last year I remember in some of the hubs they had salted peanuts which were ideal - in small paper espresso cups. A couple of those with a gel pushed me through to the end.

BTW I understand the registration today/tmw is a total pain, but I think the show is quite useful. They usually have decent discounts on some good gear. I'm still p'd off with myself for not picking up a Gore waterproof - which I could have really used on the ride and subsequently bought after the ride for more than was available at the show. I also got a good price on a Gabba jersey there as well.

Good luck to all those riding on Sunday. If the forecast is to be believed, conditions look close to ideal.

ETA: A real shame the ride doesn't go through Admiralty Arch, but I suspect it's because of the anti-terror measures outside of Parliament and they've narrowed the road a lot, with various bits of road furniture. Perhaps they felt it wasn't safe for the riders, too narrow and chaotic?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    ETA: A real shame the ride doesn't go through Admiralty Arch, but I suspect it's because of the anti-terror measures outside of Parliament and they've narrowed the road a lot, with various bits of road furniture. Perhaps they felt it wasn't safe for the riders, too narrow and chaotic?

Where is it going, this year?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Cuts down Horseguards Parade so the bit on the mall is shorter.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Fenix wrote:
    Cuts down Horseguards Parade so the bit on the mall is shorter.

how am I meant to beat my strava time :D
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:

Where is it going, this year?
    There were roadworks there on Monday so I assume it's related to that.
  • Long shot - anyone got an entry to this which they no longer need?

Mail.adrianwong@gmail.com

Thanks!