Genesis Tarn 10 alternatives

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,743
edited August 2019 in MTB buying advice
Looking at buying a Rigid MTB - seen the Tarn 10 which looks like an option but wondered if there were any alternatives maybe a bit lighter. I don't race but I'm not planning to go bike packing and something a little lighter without being a lot more expensive appeals.

Anyone got any suggestions or opinions on the Tarn 10 - happy to go second hand so don't have to be current model and budget top whack would be around a grand or just over either new or used.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    Just curious, when spending £1k+ why not build
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    If as Midnight suggests you want to go down the route of building your own, I would highly recommend the eXotic carbon fork.
    https://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=197
    Ive used one for several years and ridden everything from Gravel races to long rough natural rides (Trans Cambria mtb for one example).
  • DeVlaeminck
    1k is really the upper limit - if I can pick something up second hand cheaper I'd rather do that .

I'm not really up on MTB stuff so while I've built up road bikes I'd just feel happier buying a complete bike - realise building may be a better way to get what I really want it's just knowing what I really want ! I've been using a gravel bike and doing more off road but it just seems like neither one thing or the other - happy to sacrifice a bit of speed for the ability to do slightly more challenging terrain.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Last year I rode a couple of French enduro courses while I was on holiday for 3 months, it's great being retired, all on a gravel bike. I didn't bother to take my 150mm full susser with me. So why not spend the money on making your gravel bike more capable.

Something to watch how good a gravel bike can be. https://www.gmbn.com/video/cross-countr ... a-showdown
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • DeVlaeminck
    Thanks - went for the Genesis in the end.