Rate The Race: Tour de France 2019

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    7. Great racing, but the abandoned/shortened stages, Pinot’s early exit and no real sprinter battle take some points away. Plus with no Froome/Dumoulin, and S.Yates, Nibali having already ridden the Giro it seemed a bit of a secondary battle for GC rather than a real heavyweight contest.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Pross wrote:
    10 up till the curtailed stages and loses a point there, and the crazy decision to award times part way through an abandoned mountain stage knocks it down another point.

Would have been more crazy not to have awarded times and penalise a rider who had attacked and dropped the yellow jersey.

I disagree.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross wrote:
    10 up till the curtailed stages and loses a point there, and the crazy decision to award times part way through an abandoned mountain stage knocks it down another point.

Would have been more crazy not to have awarded times and penalise a rider who had attacked and dropped the yellow jersey.

I disagree.

It would have been different if they had declared that the finish was going to be at the top of the Iseran before they raced up there, but to declare that was the finish after they'd already been there - in my view that's not fair racing. But that's the decision.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Pross wrote:

I disagree.

It would have been different if they had declared that the finish was going to be at the top of the Iseran before they raced up there, but to declare that was the finish after they'd already been there - in my view that's not fair racing. But that's the decision.

The only other alternative would have been to just do away with the days results.

Can you imagine the outrage if they had made that call? Not only from people accusing the french for keeping JA in yellow, but the general dissatisfaction from almost everybody?
  • kingstongraham
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I disagree.

The only other alternative would have been to just do away with the days results.

Can you imagine the outrage if they had made that call? Not only from people accusing the french for keeping JA in yellow, but the general dissatisfaction from almost everybody?

Yes I can. But they didn't race that stage.

Decision's made, but loses the race 1 point, I'm sure they're devastated.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    It is actually in the rules to have this outcome.
  • kingstongraham

To lose a point? Glad to hear that.
  • shirley_basso

The rules state that if a stage is called mid way, it is permissible to use a KOM or other intermediate timing as the cut off.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887

The rules state that if a stage is called mid way, it is permissible to use a KOM or other intermediate timing as the cut off.

I think he just doesn't like the fact that someone challenged his opinion.
  • kingstongraham
    Craigus89 wrote:

Me?

You know, I had kind of assumed that what had been done was within the rules.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Craigus89 wrote:

I don't think he does, that's not how he comes across on here anyway.

I think it was the only sensible thing they could have done, out of the range of slightly unsatisfactory things they could have done it was the least-worst option for me.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:

I think it was the only sensible thing they could have done, out of the range of slightly unsatisfactory things they could have done it was the least-worst option for me.

Well, with the benefit of hindsight, if they had just cancelled the stage entirely it would have set things up for a grandstand finale on the shortened final Alpine stage. Kruijswijk / Buchmann far more likely to have had a go, ,G only 5 seconds behind Bernal so would have been tempted to win it for himself...
  • shirley_basso
    BigMat wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:

Well, with the benefit of hindsight, if they had just cancelled the stage entirely it would have set things up for a grandstand finale on the shortened final Alpine stage. Kruijswijk / Buchmann far more likely to have had a go, ,G only 5 seconds behind Bernal so would have been tempted to win it for himself...

But would they have dropped Alaphillipe by enough on that single climb?
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    Gave it a 6, the big dog wasn't there and a lot of the other contenders weren't firing on all cylinders. Alaphillipe, who I've previously not minded turned out to be the reincarnation of TV Tommy and a lot of riders were thinking podium rather than victory.

I've also developed a somewhat irrational dislike of the hype surrounding failed/failing gc'ers winning mountain stages from breakaways they're allowed in because nobody really cares what they're upto.
  • Loved it. Especially the third week with (a returning to form) Mr Thomas having to rein in his efforts and ambitions to support a team mate. A bit like the previous edition.
    'fool'
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    jam1e wrote:
    I've also developed a somewhat irrational dislike of the hype surrounding failed/failing gc'ers winning mountain stages from breakaways they're allowed in because nobody really cares what they're upto.

Snap

I thought Nibali's last stage win was a complete non-event and represented his failure to contribute anything to the actual race.
    Half man, Half bike
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Ridgerider wrote:
    jam1e wrote:

Snap

I thought Nibali's last stage win was a complete non-event and represented his failure to contribute anything to the actual race.

Except Nibbles wasn't given free reign, 15 minutes etc.. he was given 2 minutes and had to ride hard to the bottom of the climb rather than just sit in a break. He contributed more to the race than some riders in the top 10
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Ridgerider wrote:
    jam1e wrote:

Snap

Maybe not Nibali but I definitely felt that the hype over S Yates was over done; of course a rider of his quality is going to have a good chance of winning mountain stages from a break. But he shouldn't be in the break because he should be riding for GC
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Nibali also worked for his team mate to try and win the mountains jersey - ok it didn't work but still nice for a star rider to chip in for the team.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Ridgerider wrote:
    jam1e wrote:

Snap

I felt the opposite
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I've gone 8. Disappointed Froome out at first but better race for it with top 5-6 pretty close throughout. last two shortened stages a shame but wouldn't have changed top 3 I think. Ineos and dqs in crosswinds. Pinot on Galibier and Bernal riding incredibly fast uphill all highlights
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm curious - For the folks who rated it an 8.

If you're familiar with the 89 TdF, what would you score that?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Unfortunately, I'm not, I must admit shamefully.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    iainf72 wrote:

A solid 14. :lol: (I didn’t score this years an 8 or above).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    iainf72 wrote:

More than the 7 you'd have given it. :wink:
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Ha! I'd have given it a solid i9.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Ha! I'd have given it a solid i9.

25 minutes of highlights a day makes it a lot easier to give 9, too.
    Just black and white photos of riders in the mountains on dirt roads? Instant 10.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    But would they have dropped Alaphillipe by enough on that single climb?
    Given that they did, I'm going to say yes.
  • iainf72

25 minutes of highlights a day makes it a lot easier to give 9, too.
    Just black and white photos of riders in the mountains on dirt roads? Instant 10.

Agreed. But I think if you look at 89, you had the yellow going back and forth between Lemond and Fignon a few times. It was really OMG stuff.

This years Tour (a 7, IMO) is more like the 1990 event
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    iainf72 wrote:

Based on what I know, 9, although it's possible having watched it live in the same manner I watched this one I could probably range that score anywhere between a 7-10. Certainly it had high drama although it does feel a little unfair that lemond did it with the benefit of tri bars.

Best comparison for me is the Giro 2018 which I'd score a 9.