Katusha

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2019 in Pro race
It appears they’re going to merge with Arkea-Samsic

Makarov keeps licence so they’ll be world tour.

Riding BMC’s.

via Wielerflits.nl
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Hope Dowsett gets to keep his job (unless he gets a better offer!).
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Curious if true... all sorts of implications.

Arkea are a VERY french team (aside from Greipel and Conor Swift) and Katusha are a real mix of riders.

Wonder what this means for the Quintana move?

BMC abandoning Dimension-Data then?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    And Canyon...and van der Poel...?
  • dish_dash wrote:

Wonder what this means for the Quintana move?

Wouldn't surprise me if his move was part of the dealing going on behind the scenes. It was kinda surprising that he was moving away from a World Tour team; turns out he's not.
  • iainf72
    Being denied.

100% out of the question

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/115624 ... 16448?s=20

So its sure to happen
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    iainf72 wrote:
    It appears they’re going to merge with Arkea-Samsic

Makarov keeps licence so they’ll be world tour.

Riding BMC’s.

via Wielerflits.nl
    It also says that both teams only have 11 riders contracted through 2020 so it makes things easy and there is still room for potential transfers. Iguess the other riders out of contract already know there fate.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I'm sure AquaBlue are involved in all this, somewhere.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    amrushton wrote:
    Hope Dowsett gets to keep his job (unless he gets a better offer!).

He's one of the eleven Katusha riders with a contract for next season.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Katusha used to be a powerhouse. Didn't they? All that russian money and they ended up blowing it all on Germans who are past it, a shadow of their former selves
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    orraloon wrote:

Canyon and Alpecin throwing more cash into VDP current team. I think they will step up to world tour in 2021. MVP big goal for next year is the MTB olympics.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    rozzer32 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Canyon and Alpecin throwing more cash into VDP current team. I think they will step up to world tour in 2021. MVP big goal for next year is the MTB olympics.

Correndon Circus have a few handy riders, they've been doing alright in Pro Conti even with MvdPs results taken out, TIm Merlier winning Belgian Champs for example. Much better option to build that up than take Katusha and try to filter out the hangers on
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    rozzer32 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

he is their poster boy selling bikes across a number of disciplines so it makes sense to put more money into him.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    According to the French L’Équipe newspaper the Dane Bjarne Riis 55, wants to takeover the Katusha team. He wants to bring Jakob Fuglsang whose contract runs out with Astana to the team. However in the same article it says that Riis has been in contact with Patrck Lefevere to try and buy his 20% stake in Deceuninck-Quick.Step. This story was vehemently denied by Lefevere who said he has had no contact with Riis, and in fact they only see each other once a year for a meal along with many other former riders.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • andyp
    Latest today in Het Nieuwsblad is that Israel Cycling Academy will take over the Katusha World Tour license. The story says ICA already have 27 riders under contract for next season, plus 11 at Katusha, which would exceed the 30 rider limit for WT teams.

It's not clear if a) that is true, PCS show just 8 riders under contract with ICA next season and b) what would happen to those riders who do have a contract next season who don't make the cut.
  • Katusha rider, Simon Špilak, a fully paid up member of the Haimar Zubledia school of stealth, will really be invisible next year.
    He has announced his retirement.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    Katusha rider, Simon Špilak, a fully paid up member of the Haimar Zubledia school of stealth, will really be invisible next year.

Wasn't he supposed to be going to Bahrain?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Katusha rider, Simon Špilak, a fully paid up member of the Haimar Zubledia school of stealth, will really be invisible next year.

Wasn't he supposed to be going to Bahrain?

Was the rumour.

A google translation:
    for Simon Špilak, a rich cycling career had already ended, during which he entered Slovenia on the list of winners of the most prestigious one-week races. He was the first to exceed Prekmurac's achievements
    Such decisions are always extremely difficult. There are many factors on both sides, and when you weigh why to give up or continue, you often find that the weight on both sides is the same. So I decided intuitively, from the belly, as they say. Of course, I could go on for a few more years, but I think it's a good time. In the end, I am very pleased with my career and results. And so I always wanted to finish. He is pleased, ”Špilak told Delo, rumored to have signed a three-year contract with Bahrain Merida.

https://www.delo.si/sport/kolesarstvo/p ... 37245.html
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Thought he’d retired years ago.
  • andyp
    Riders getting paid out of the UCI guarantee.

Does Makarov have to approve that, as part of his duties on the UCI Management Committee?